Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hydrogenaudio to host RareWares (Read 23290 times) previous topic - next topic

Hydrogenaudio to host RareWares

Hydrogenaudio is happy to announce that we will be hosting RareWares -site from now on.
The new address is: http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org

RareWares offers compiles of useful audio/media related software, often hard to find elsewhere.

The new site design was done by rc55 (Ruairi Fullam) so you can give him feedback about it.

RareWares is administrated by rjamorim (Roberto José De Amorim).
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #1
very nice to see!  awesome layout.  this really is the organization that has been needed for a while - on all of the programs & external links to codecs & binaries.

what happened to lamedrop 3.92 version?

excellent work!

-onthejazz

Reply #2
John doesn't need to put mirror 1,mirror 2,etc on his poor little sig any more, just http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/ 

And I look at the FAQ question

/edit
grammar (as always  )

//edit

add FAQ question 

Which encoder/format is the worst?

Easy: WMA, VQF, QDesign, BladeEnc, old AAC encoders (Homeboy, MBsoft...). Forget them.

-Why crap about WMA ? It's free and with WMEv9 we can choose It have DRM or not, and the quality sure surpass MP3 
-Forgot the famous Xing Encoder 

Which encoder/format is the best?

-Short answer:
    You should test them yourself, and choose which one best suit your needs.
    -Somewhat long answer:
    For highest quality @ High bitrates: Musepack (MPC)
    For overall high quality, even at lower bitrates (96 ~ 160kbps): Psytel AAC
    For best compatibility: Lame using --alt-presets
    A very promising format: Ogg Vorbis
    For very low bitrates (<64kbps): MP3pro

I still thinks that Ogg Vorbis, RealAudioV8 or WMA are VERY GOOD under 64 kbps 
highest quality @ High bitrates = lossless encoder (FLAC,Monkey,etc), not MPC 
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Reply #3
great work and idea

but i wouldn't call it rarewares anymore. i would call it audioware or something. when i gave the link of the old rarewares site to some of my friends who are new to ogg vorbis for example they didn't really trust it because of the name "rarewares" and the url. they prefered using some outdated version (of oggdropxd for example) from the official vorbis site instead of using the updated ones from rarewares. just a suggestion from my experiences...

Reply #4
Links > Project Mayhem? Maybe this should be changed....

Reply #5
very nice to see!  awesome layout.  this really is the organization that has been needed for a while - on all of the programs & external links to codecs & binaries.

Thanks a lot.

But more tweaks are on the way. Just you wait...

what happened to lamedrop 3.92 version?

OMG! I must have dropped it along the way between Brazil and California.

I'll return there and look for it. As soon as I find it, I'll place it where it belongs.

@ everyone else: Thanks a lot! Please keep the suggestions coming. They are very, very welcome, and I promise I'll implement them (if feasible) AFA possible. The ones you suggested already have been already implemented.

( I might take some time to do some updates, since I'll travel tomorrow morning to the beach. Will be back next Sunday. But surely John33 and Ruairi will be able to keep it up  )

Reply #6
but i wouldn't call it rarewares anymore. i would call it audioware or something.

That's a nice idea. But there are two issues:

1st - everyone got used to RareWares. It's been the page's name for almost 20 months! And I've grown very fond of that name...

2nd - RareWares isn't only audio anymore. Since some months ago, I have been hosting video binaries (You can find them at the MPEG4 section)

As for your friends: Shame on them.

But, sure, if you guys want keep suggesting names. Maybe you could suggest something that makes the transition really worth it?

Kind regards;

Roberto.

Reply #7
But, sure, if you guys want keep suggesting names. Maybe you could suggest something that makes the transition really worth it?

Roberto's Audio Kingdom! (And Ruairi and John33's Fiefdoms) 

It's good to see HA hosting RareWares, a site that was probably linked to more often than any other external site, and an important audio-compression resource. The redesign is definitely nice-looking and easy to navigate, and I'm assuming there are no more bandwidth/storage worries! One small request: I would prefer a larger font, or at least a font sizing that responds to Internet Explorer's "font size" command.

I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming site tweaks...

Reply #8
ok, i'd like to request on the portal page, maybe above or below the board navigation section (on the far left at the top), a section with links to the sites hosted within hydrogen audio, RareWares, Foobar2000, etc..  and any Guides or Tools that will be or already are a part of this site. 

Notice not a link to the forums like across the top of the page, but like a Links or Tools box,  to get to these hosted portals/sites.  Just like the Board Navigation box.

B)

thanks!  onthejazz.

wow jkml talk about a jinx

Reply #9
Is it possible to add links to sites hosted by Hydrogen Audio on the latter's front (portal) page?  Otherwise, new visitors might not be able to find these sites easily.

Reply #10
Yes, there are plans to do something like this, but on a larger scale (part of a complete portal redesign).  Right now it's not at the top of the priority list.  For the time being, the Documentation Project framework takes that spot (and will continue to do so until it goes public).

Reply #11
SometimesWarrior, onthejazz, jkml: These kinds of requests (design, etc.)should be addressed at Ruairi, since I can't code HTML for toffee.

Hopefully, he'll notice this thread soon and implement these suggestions.

Reply #12
COOL, nice website, better than prev.

Reply #13
little typo:
Volumax compile date should read: Mar 9 2003

I like the new layout, but prefer the old colors (black on white rocks!)
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #14
little typo:
Volumax compile date should read: Mar 9 2003

Just fixed it. Thanks a lot for reporting.

I like the new layout, but prefer the old colors (black on white rocks!)

Well, maybe Ruairi will make user-selectable layouts?

Reply #15
Congratulations Roberto!!!, I like the layout and design of the site,
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #16
Adding a border="0" attribute to the rarewares logo would be nice - my IE6 browser puts a great big blue border around it because it's a hyperlink.

Reply #17
Don't you already know that IE is retarded?

Anyway, the page looks great, but there should be a link to HA on the front page...
ruxvilti'a

Reply #18
Yes I already know that IE is retarded.

This doesn't mean that you should deliberately make your site look weird for 95% of your viewers.

As Ruairi has put border="0" on every other hyperlinked image, I suspect this was just overlooked for the main logo.

Reply #19
I personally find the design a little hard to read, in the program listings they are a little too close together

The site is however much improved, giving a small description of each file is a real help for those who don't know the exact filename & version they are after

Keep the RareWares name, warez is spelt with er, a z. 
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #20
Keep the RareWares name, warez is spelt with er, a z. 

It's very specifically NOT spelt with a 'z' because they are NOT 'warez' in the accepted sense.

Reply #21
Love it very much!

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']but[/span]

ditto the comment about the blue border around the site name - should go IMO (but I'm no style guru!!!!!!!)

to make it obvious that it's not warez, you could call it that, or make that a tag line - RareWares - no warez, just quality (or something)

And Ruairi (who seems to be a great guy) has comitted my number 1 pet hate in web design (though I've done it many times too) - he's fixed the font size! Now look pal - it might be your web site, but it's displaying on my PC!  I'm not a n00b - I found the option to change the text size in my browser back in 1994, and I've set it to the size that I want - don't you go messing with it!  (please - note the smiley - I'm sure you will)

Seriously, the most annoying thing on the web is/was for sites to make their entire content "font size=-1" - which basically means "Take the font size that the user has chosen because it's the right size for them, and make it a bit smaller so they can't quite read it so comfortably anymore!" I know you've used CSS to fix it exactly, rather make it relative, but it that still makes it just a bit too small for me, and could be much worse for others. I think it would be better to allow the size of most of the text to default to whatever the browser normally does.

Anyway, apart from that, it's a great redesign, and good to know that HA has it safely hosted.

Cheers,
David.

P.S. It seems to re-load every single image for each and every page on the site - even the images that are the same on each page, and even when you re-visit the same page. Maybe it's a problem my end, but I'd expect them all to be cached locally, but they don't appear to be.

Reply #22
great news,

desing is nice, (i think absolute fixed size is at the moment the only simple way to make the page appear the same in ie and mozzila based browsers), anyway, i would make the contents b/w, that way the navigation will look more logical as well, since it will 'stand up a bit'...

(btw, there was nothing wrong with the old 'design' - was clear and simple)

edit: and why not make the same logos as in navigation appear on selected pages as well? (like mp3 -> mp3)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #23
Great idea and great layout !!! 

If I have to make a suggestion, maybe the rows of programs are very close together...  I don't know, when I look at them globally they don't seem like a set of programs, but like an single bunch of text.

Well, maybe I'm just being too demanding...    forget it.

Great idea, Great work. 
Just a thought...

Reply #24
Yes I already know that IE is retarded.

This doesn't mean that you should deliberately make your site look weird for 95% of your viewers.

As Ruairi has put border="0" on every other hyperlinked image, I suspect this was just overlooked for the main logo.

OK, blue border eliminated.