Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Worlds First Windows iPod mp4 Uploader! (Read 33246 times) previous topic - next topic

Worlds First Windows iPod mp4 Uploader!

Reply #100
It is the mp4 input codec (based on faad2) that is not getting the lengths of your mp4 files, send one along to dbpoweramp@dbpoweramp.com  I will see what I can do.

Reply #101
Great job Spoon, no skipping tracks any more so far...  I think I wanna reencode my music collection with the mp4 codec since your software now does the job properly for the uploads....  (w00t)

Reply #102
TheGuardian:

Thanks for the test file, I tried it and it worked fine on mine. I think the dBpowerAMP mp4 codec is not where it should be, the mp4 codec needs to be installed the same location as Sveta Portable audio, you will be able to tell if it is installed correctly as right clicking on the .mp4 file will give 'Convert To'

Reply #103
I've managed to upload 2,600 beautiful sounding, correctly tagged, AAC encoded files to my iPod, so life is good.

I've had a number of recurring problems, however, and tons of XP errors. In fact, the whole process of copying my CDs onto my PC, tagging them, compressing them and uploading them to the iPod is like waging war.

Key issues:

More than once I have lost the iPod database (all music files disappear), this is probably related to the fact that I am using both EphPod and Sveta. The files remain, but the iPod doesn't recognize them. Sometimes only the .mp4 files disappear, but the .mp3 files are ok. Several times I have used iPod manager to restore my iPod.

Sveta BUG: If I transfer files using Sveta to an empty iPod, the files copy but the db doesn't get built. No songs appear on iPod. I've worked around this by making sure to copy at least one .mp3 file using EphPod, then quiting and using Sveta.

dBPowerAMP or Windows BUG?: Editing .mp4 tags usually crashes XP in module mp4.dll. Editing tags in Sveta is fine, but it only changes the iPod database - if I reimport the file, I have to edit the tags again (even if I export the file from the iPod to my PC).

If I convert tagged .wma files to .mp4 using dBpowerAMP Music Converter, should the tags show up when I view the files in Explorer? They don't, but they do show up correctly if I right-click and select properties. MP3 file tags show up fine.

Editing tags using My Music Collection in dBpowerAMP crashes XP (in module mp4.dll, I think).

No library manager seems to be able to handle .mp4 files, the iPod and tagging (without crashing XP).

I'm copying all of my CDs using Windows Media Player 9, .wma lossess. WMP works fine, but often has problems recognizing CDs and sometimes it will recognize a CD (view album info) but it won't apply the information to the copied tracks (either automatically or using update album info). Since WMP doesn't support either AAC or the iPod, I use dBpowerAMP Music Converter and create a single directory of AAC compressed versions. I use dMC File Selector to select the files for compression, which are automatically organized into folders by WMP - but dMC File Selector crashes during the first file about 50% of the time. Usually it works fine after a reboot.

These are only a few of the problems I'm having. Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #104
My iPod unmounts after I'm done transfering files, and close dBPowerAMP.  It also unmounts when I close sveta, and Audio CD Input.  It is extremely annoying.  Can you make it so it doesn't unmount my iPod?

Otherwise great program.

Reply #105
I don't know if you know this but, if there is already a file on the ipod with the same name, dbPowerAmp will overwrite that file.  So the database will have 2 songs pointing to the same file.

That's espicially problematic, when I have long file names like Artist - Album - Track # - Titile.mp3 and it truncates them to Artist - Album.mp4.  If 2 songs from the same album just happends to get stored in the same dir on the ipod, the older one will get overwritten.

Reply #106
I don't know if you know this but, if there is already a file on the ipod with the same name, dbPowerAmp will overwrite that file.  So the database will have 2 songs pointing to the same file.

That's espicially problematic, when I have long file names like Artist - Album - Track # - Titile.mp3 and it truncates them to Artist - Album.mp4.  If 2 songs from the same album just happends to get stored in the same dir on the ipod, the older one will get overwritten.

I hope Spoon follow my suggestion -EphPod based- and he will use ID numbers plus extension to name files in iPod.

BTW. Why not make mount and unmount manual? I think that automatic mount/unmount is quite annoying, specially when I need to use EphPod to erase files or something like that.

Cheers.
Since I was a kid I've seen greedy people
just grabbing all they could take,
I promised myself I'd never become like them.

Reply #107
All points taken on board, although it shouldn't overwrite existing filenames (it will try all 1-20 folders first, if it cannot find a free filename it will add an 8 digit number to the end).

Tag editing (overwriting existing tags) for mp4 is currently no go, it will crash or cause the mp4 file to become corrupt. Menno said he will shortly change the default tag writer to Apple compatible, so it is not worth persuing at the moment.

Reply #108
Hi Spoon,

I've got that problem sorted out it was as you said - everything seemed properly installed but the codec was in the wrong subirectory. So I'm sorry for the work I may have caused as this "bug" was my very own fault.

But I have found another thing : If I delete some Files with sveta and re-upload them - (I replaced an too short version of the song with a right one. [Delte/Reupload]) - it would totally screw up my Pod. It said there were 0 Tracks on it. But the iTunesDB seemed fine it still was 744kb. Restoring the backup DB didn't help. Altough ephod would still read the DB and recognize every single song. But it didn't matter which program I used i always got strange write errors saying that the data hasn't been fully saved ,everytime i quit Sveta. It was a windows message because when I dubbed over my back-uped iTunesDB from my local HD it did the same for no possible reason. I had to restore my whole iPod.
0% Audiophile - and quite happy about it.

Reply #109
Very odd, it is as thought the iPod got in a funny state, and basically it is just a hard disc when connected to the PC.

Was it full? Have you since added all the tracks again? (it would rule out too many files).

Reply #110
Very odd, it is as thought the iPod got in a funny state, and basically it is just a hard disc when connected to the PC.

Was it full? Have you since added all the tracks again? (it would rule out too many files).

http://members.tripod.com/Dreamweb81/problem.gif
You'll have to copy and paste the link, otherwise it won't work - stupid tripod!
See the screenshot here!
This is the second time this occurs to me - well I have backups of my Pod now, so it doen't hurt but still its very annoying.

No There is still some Space left (I Could easyily copy another 2 Albums over) altough the iPod still would insist that there are no files on it. But it would display the remaining space correctly.

The same thing  happened to a friend of mine - just today, he's got exactly the same behavior and the errormessage is identical. We both used Ephpod and Sveta so this is reproducable!

The errormessage is in german, here is a rough translation :

Windows - Data loss while writing
Not all data for the file
\Device\Hard.....
could be saved, some data may be lost. Possible causes may be your hardware or network connections. Try to save your data somewhere else.
0% Audiophile - and quite happy about it.

Reply #111
dBpowerAMP doesn't seem to handle unicode very well.  If a file has unicode in the name, path, or tag dBpowerAMP will crash.  That's really a shame.  I have a lot of Chinese mp3 I would like to convert to mp4.

Reply #112
My stuff is no good for unicode ATM, I intend to have a blast one day and add compatibility.

Reply #113
They are still great programs though.  I'm having a blast using them.  The amount of space I can save on my ipod is amazing.  I can fit more songs on my 15 gig using mp4 than I could on my old 20 gig using mp3, and they sound just as good.