Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is ReplayGain supported for WAV and WMA files? (Read 3531 times) previous topic - next topic

Is ReplayGain supported for WAV and WMA files?

Does replay/gain work with any of the Micresoft files ( .wav or the .wma family ) ?

Reply #1
1) .wav files aren't "Microsoft" files. And they can't be tagged so ReplayGain wouldn't work with them.

2) .wma files can be tagged, but I'm not sure about ReplayGain support. MS' own player, WMP, doesn't support ReplayGain anyway
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #2
1) .wav was ko- kreated by Microsoft and IBM. Why kan't they be tagged ? These files are tagged in WMP.
  2)I am in the prosess of switching from WMP to Foobar ( which does support replay/gain ). I haven't yet figgured out how to do replay/gain but all my files are .wma pro .I would like to know if replay/gain kan be applied to these files which would then be played in Foobar.
  Thank you.

Reply #3
1) why would creators have anything to do with tagging?
Why not do supplemental search on Google instead of asking same question twice?
.wav files do not support tags. They are not tagged in WMP. You can, of course, have an application that stores information in an external database.

2). do not know.

terry

Reply #4
If you really need to be tagging .wav files then you probably ought to be using some sort of lossless compression.

I haven't yet figgured out how to do replay/gain
Right-click->replayGain->[Whatever option you want]
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #5
.wav files do not support tags.

See: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=544940

From what I gather, there's limited tagging support for WAVs but fb2k doesn't support it.

Adobe Audition's manual says:
In Adobe Audition, you can embed text?based data in Windows .wav files that use the RIFF LIST INFO and DISP type 1 formats

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #6
From what I gather, there's limited tagging support for WAVs but fb2k doesn't support it.

Well, that's like saying there is tagging support for mp3s.
The fact is it's not part of the format's standard, but various standards are appended to it.

Only unlike mp3 where the "standards" are fairly universal (id3v1.1, id3v2.x, even APEv2 has some adopters outside fb2k), "standards" in .WAV tagging is all over the map, many of which are program specific.

Rather than going out of the way to support a bajillion different types of .wav tags, the real solution is to just use a lossless compression format, which is a valid solution for 99.999% of people.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #7
.wav files do not support tags.
Is incorrect.

Is correct.

The fact is it's not part of the format's standard, but various standards are appended to it.

Only unlike mp3 where the "standards" are fairly universal (id3v1.1, id3v2.x, even APEv2 has some adopter outside fb2k), "standards" in .WAV tagging is all over the map, many of which are program specific.
Is why fb2k doesn't support it.

Rather than going out of the way to support a bajillion different types of .wav tags, the real solution is to just use a lossless compression format, which is a valid solution for 99.999% of people.
I couldn't agree more.

Most of the people I've seen asking for WAV tagging support are people who work with audio and since the OP is concerned about Replay Gain that suggests it's for listening / enjoying music and as such there's no reason to be using the WAV format in the first place.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)