Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to use diskwriter using Replaygain values (Read 2876 times) previous topic - next topic

How to use diskwriter using Replaygain values

Hello

I'd like to burn a cd with some MP3 (or some MPC).

Those come from many different albums so i'd like to use the replaygain title values when decoding them with foobar diskwriter.

How to do ?

Would i better use MAD instead of foobar to decode MP3s ?

Thx

Reply #1

Hmm, if some would be kind enough to answer, i would be able to burn.

Reply #2
At the moment diskwriter doesn't use replaygain values.

For now, you can just enable volume in dsp and have diskwriter use that, and set the volume to whatever value you want. (for whole albums that is)

Reply #3
Well you can set Foobar's output to 32bit floats and use the new Wavegain 0.9.8 which support them.

What I normally do when I'm making a compilation disc is as follows :

1. Convert ev'rything to 32bit floating-point wavs.
2. Use Replaygain in radio mode. And make it output to 16bit dithered wavs.
3. Then Burn the disc.

Of course when FB2K supports RG I'll loose the second step. But since I'm using 32bit wavs anyway the quantization is is minimal, even during fadeouts
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #4
Hello /\/ephaestous,

I also have a few mp3s which I want to burn to an audio CD. But I'm doing the following:

- Apply Track Gain to the files using MP3Gain

- Convert them to 16 bit dithered WAV files using Foobar2000 (no DSP)

- Burn the disc.

Is this method correct? Which one should I choose for maximum possible quality?

By the way, if I want to use the "soft clipping limiter" DSP in Foobar2000, do I need to activate also the "Volume Control" DSP? Do I have to enable always both of them, or are they independent from each other?

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

Reply #5
You are doing it alright, it's just that I don't use Mp3s but Mpc and the gain is not preserved when decoding.

Each component is independant from each other.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."