Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC (Read 8527 times) previous topic - next topic

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

I have some 24 bit wav files I want to convert to FLAC.  When I convert them with Foobar2000 0.9 they come out at 16bit files.  This is fine, I have no problem with this.  I just want to know if the conversion is done well, or would I be better running them though Sound Forge to convert them first?

Tony

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #1
What are you going to do with these files afterwards?

If there are no further processing steps, dithering would be good.

It should be possible to encode them as 24 bits, though.

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #2
It's just for archeiving.  Can you tell me how to encode 24bit?  Neither EAC or Foobar will let me.

Also, what's the best settings to use in Sound Forge?  Do I need noise shaping?

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #3
Let foobar handle the downconversion. It has better dithering + noiseshaping than Sound Forge.

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #4
Ok, I will.  I assume there's nothing special I need to do now.  Nothing extra has to be set for Foobar to dither the signal?

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #5
Converter parameters : 16 bit-output preferred
dither : lossless sources

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #6
It's just for archeiving.  Can you tell me how to encode 24bit?  Neither EAC or Foobar will let me.

Also, what's the best settings to use in Sound Forge?  Do I need noise shaping?

Why would you need EAC to encode 24-bit wav files, when it is designed for ripping 16-bit CD audio?  I am assuming though that these are not files ripped from a CD though.  No audio cd has 24-bit audio.
But more on the point, simply using flac.exe from the command line or flac frontend will allow you to encode 24-bit Wav files directly into FLAC without resampling.  I encoded my older music that I made as 24bit audio into FLAC files using flac.exe and nothing more.  New stuff is 32-bit though, so I use WavPack.

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #7
simply using flac.exe from the command line or flac frontend will allow you to encode 24-bit Wav files directly into FLAC

You need to create a new preset in Foobar's Diskwriter and increase the "highest BPS supported" value to 24.

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #8
ok, thanks a lot

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #9
So, why is it set to 16bit in foobar's preset?

Wouldn't it be better to set it to 24bit because flac supports it without problems?
flac 1.2.1 -8 (archive) | aoTuVb5.7 -q 4 (pc, s1mp3)

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #10
This is slightly off-topic but it might be of interest for Funkstar, too:
Instead of converting your file to 16 bits and then compress to FLAC you could also just use WavPack in lossy mode (storing 24 bits lossy). Depending on the settings you can keep more quality for less bits this way.
(24->16bit-PCM is of course a lossy process as well)

Sebi

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #11
Let foobar handle the downconversion. It has better dithering + noiseshaping than Sound Forge.

speaking of....how foobar's downsampling compare to ssrc_hp 1.30 ? and while i'm at it, assuming one is using ssrc_hp 1.30, what is the optimal cmd line for 48khz -> 44khz (DVD sourced audio -> red book standard) ? thanks in advance.

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #12
Both dbPowerAmp and the Flac Front End will encode a 24 bit Wav as 24 bit Flac.  Both are free.  The compression however is not as strong as 16 bit versions.  you can save 30%.

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #13
hi,

this thread is a little older but it's neat to my question ;-)

I have some 24 bit Wav Files and want to convert them to flac and wav16bit by command line. I'm using flac 1.1.1 and got an error message like this:

options: -P 4096 -b 4608 -m -l 8 -q 0 -r 3,3 -V
ERROR: output file renommee-samir_el_borno-advice2.flac already exists, use -f to override
ERROR: can't open input file samir.flac

does that one mean that 24 bit wav is not supported ?

What shall ido ?

greetings

bernhard

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #14
hi,

this thread is a little older but it's neat to my question ;-)

I have some 24 bit Wav Files and want to convert them to flac and wav16bit by command line. I'm using flac 1.1.1 and got an error message like this:

ERROR: output file renommee-samir_el_borno-advice2.flac already exists, use -f to override

What shall ido ?

greetings

bernhard

Looks like your trying to encode a flac file into a flac file. 
You'd need something like foobar that uses pipes for that kind of thing.

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #15
the next version of flac will probably support FLAC as input and transfer metadata as well.

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #16

Not to pick a fight here, but where is this based on?

24bit Wav -> 16bit FLAC

Reply #17

Looks like your trying to encode a flac file into a flac file. 
You'd need something like foobar that uses pipes for that kind of thing.

ROTFL - damned ;-)
I messed up the syntax....
Now it works fine - is it possible to reconvert my flacfile to a 16bit or 24bit Wave file with flac-command line ?

thx

bernhard