Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3 / Flac software for linux (Read 3535 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3 / Flac software for linux

hi, i am new to linux, i just installed ubuntu, currently using it now.

i am trying to find the best mp3 / flac software player / cateloger, i use foobar for my windows machine and i LOVE it... what is the most recommended for linux? i looked at the hydrogen wiki linux software section but didnt metion players.

anyone have a fav?

thanks in advance... lukey.

Reply #1
did you have a look at the debian section of www.rarewares.org ? do so.
i am currently using amarok for kde - damn slow though, and rhythmbox for gtk, e.g. gnome. (>>ubuntu)
u can, too, use xmms with appropriate plugins.. dont' know wheter there is one database-plugin ...

hope this helps.

edit: forgot to mention: lamip!!

Reply #2
amarok and rhytmbox are th 2 most popular

also there is Juk...which is developed by the KDE team

and my personal favorites....xmms, then cplay...which is a small CLI based player that is very powerful and easy to use

that being said though....i'm sure there are many more choices out there in the open source community

edit: can't forget beep media player....or bmp for short....it's similar to xmms but uses a newer version of the gtk libraries

Reply #3
did you have a look at the debian section of www.rarewares.org ? do so.
i am currently using amarok for kde - damn slow though, and rhythmbox for gtk, e.g. gnome. (>>ubuntu)
u can, too, use xmms with appropriate plugins.. dont' know wheter there is one database-plugin ...

hope this helps.

edit: forgot to mention: lamip!!

amarok and rhytmbox are th 2 most popular

also there is Juk...which is developed by the KDE team

and my personal favorites....xmms, then cplay...which is a small CLI based player that is very powerful and easy to use

that being said though....i'm sure there are many more choices out there in the open source community

edit: can't forget beep media player....or bmp for short....it's similar to xmms but uses a newer version of the gtk libraries

to sum it up: use rhythmbox with gnome and amarok, better juk with kde if you want to have a library. dunno for sure but I think rhythmbox can do gapless and replaygain CMIIW!

BTW: there IS a search-function... have a look - it works!

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=34421&hl=linux

Reply #4
to sum it up: use rhythmbox with gnome and amarok, better juk with kde if you want to have a library. dunno for sure but I think rhythmbox can do gapless and replaygain CMIIW!

Are you absolutely sure Rhythmbox supports gapless? I wonder... because it uses GStreamer.
If it would be right... then I'm switching.

Currently using Quod Libet. Supports almost everything, except... gapless playback. :-(
ruxvilti'a

Reply #5
I'm using MPD (daemon, playing in background) and GMPC (Gnome Music Player Client, GUI frontend to it). I made a patch for MPD to support of replay gain in mp3 files (in ID3v2 tags only, not APEv2), and it also support gapless playback by itself.
Very handy if you will use separate tagger (EasyTag for example) and Replay Gain scaner (see my script).