Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC V0.95 beta 4 released (Read 70625 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC V0.95 beta 4 released

Reply #75
I have just noticed something strange. My copy of EAC 0.95 beta 4 has its own folder, and EAC 0.95 prebeta 3 is placed in a subfolder of EAC 0.95 beta 4.

When I run 0.95 beta 4 the "Action" menu looks like this:

[1] 0.95 beta 4

and the same menu in 0.95 prebeta 3 displays as:

[2] 0.95 prebeta 3

This is nothing new - both applications are working as expected. But:

I have made a copy of 0.95 beta 4 and placed it as "EAC_new.exe" in the 0.95 prebeta 3 folder. Now the "Action" menu has changed:

[3] Copy of 0.95 beta 4 in the 0.95 prebeta 3 folder

And now the same vice versa - a copy of 0.95 prebeta 3 as "EAC_old.exe" in the 0.95 beta 4 folder:

[4] Copy of 0.95 prebeta 3 in the 0.95 beta 4 folder

Both versions use the same profile, created with 0.95 beta 4.

What's going on here? I'm puzzled.

Edit: Image descriptions added, PNG images replaced by GIF versions, typos corrected.

Reply #77
These features have been removed because of new copyright laws that may affect the legality of EAC.

Yes, I know, but look at the screenshots again (I have added image descriptions). Screenshot 1 and 3 show 0.95 beta 4 but the menus differ; the same applies to screenshots 2 and 4 which show 0.95 prebeta 3. The only difference is the folder in which they are placed (and of course the accompanying files).

Or am I missing something?

Reply #78
Do any of those "ghost" functions work when you try to use them?

Reply #79
Do any of those "ghost" functions work when you try to use them?

Regarding  the "Copy of 0.95 beta 4 in the 0.95 prebeta 3 folder" variant (3rd screenshot): "Retrieve native TOC" does work and displays "Detecting Pre-Track Gaps Track ...". – I have no suitable CDs to test "Use first session only" but selecting this function does not cause an error.

Reply #80
Both versions use the same profile, created with 0.95 beta 4.

What's going on here? I'm puzzled.

EAC reads the strings from an external file, in the Languages folder, to support translations. Wrong version of the language files means EAC shows the wrong text in some places.

Reply #81
That would explain it. So, would EAC simply carry out the actions that would be there in a standard installation? In other words, "Retrieve Native TOC" would actually invoke "Create CUE sheet \ Current settings", and so on?

Reply #83
[...] Anyway, there are at least some few bug-fixes in this update, e.g. creating an image having
the artist and CD title as filename will now show the file dialog properly when special characters are used.

Reply #84
[...] Anyway, there are at least some few bug-fixes in this update, e.g. creating an image having
the artist and CD title as filename will now show the file dialog properly when special characters are used.

Thanks.  If that's one of the more prominent bug fixes in b4 compared to b3, I don't really see it as a selling point for b4 if they had to cripple some other features, as has been discussed earlier.

Reply #85
Well, that's the law for you.

Reply #86
An analogic copy is bypassing DRM scheme.

No, neither technically nor legally. To produce sound/noise is what Audio CDs and their players are built for. To record that sound is what analog recorders are for. CP "protects" us from copying the CD content (the bits) itself, not from listening to (and recording) the sound/noise.

And false TOCs are no CP at all, again: neither technically nor legally. CDs - like other media - do contain bits'n'bytes. So do CDs with false TOCs. Any raw reader can copy these bits - including false TOCs. And any player (standalone or PC SW) "extracts" the audio data - regardless of any errors in a 2nd TOC. (If that's not possible - then the CD is just broken and useless.) "Rippers" (including EAC) that have problems processing audio data on CDs with a 2nd (false) TOC just misbehave. To stumble over a 2nd TOC while processing audio data on an Audio CD (red book does NOT CARE for any TOCs but the first one) is nothing else but a SW error. To make sure that the SW no longer stumbles over such nonsense would just be a bug fix, regardless of if its done with a swich or not.

Reply #87
Even if you did sue them, your damages would be pretty minimal - limited to the price of the CD.

No, you could force them to give you the legal quantity of private copies for friends and family (7 in Germany). So THEY had to give you 7 pieces instead of 1.

Reply #88
What advantage does beta 4 have that beta 3 doesn't?

Until beta 3 EAC did produce images with double extensions (like .wv.wav and .wv.wv instead of .wav and .wv) when the compression was set to an extension with less or more than 3 letters.

Edit: Now it's even worse. Not only that EAC now creates .wav.wav and .wav.wv images if you specify .wv, it even defaults the file name suggestion to .wav, which when you enter this creates .wav.wav.wav and .wav.wav.wv and puts .wav instead of .wv into the cue sheet.

Reply #89

What advantage does beta 4 have that beta 3 doesn't?

Until beta 3 EAC did produce images with double extensions (like .wv.wav and .wv.wv instead of .wav and .wv) when the compression was set to an extension with less or more than 3 letters.

Thanks, I see.  I use 3-letter extensions, so I didn't notice that bug.

Reply #90
Now that I've found the right forum, I'll bump this and ask again:

Other that above-mentioned minor (to me) file name issues (strange characters, two-letter file name), are there any reasons at all to install EAC .95b4? (Judging by the dates, I must have installed b3 right before b4 was released - I haven't checked back here since then).

If so, is there a step by step outline of how to install it while keeping b3 and associated settings?

Reply #91
Since EAC hasn't been updated since Feb. 2006, I assume that its development is dead.