Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Confronted by cable manufacturer on Head-fi (Read 11030 times) previous topic - next topic

Confronted by cable manufacturer on Head-fi

Reply #25
do these guys actually bother to put some $1000 cable within the walls of their house and use $3000 fuses?.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322407"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, rhodium outlets are quite popular among audiophiles, and audiophile fuses have made a discrete appearance.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322412"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ohhh my god!!!        (and I'm non-theist)

Assuming perfect cable within their house, perfect outlets and perfect cables, they still have to deal with the electric co cables on the street that to say the least, will not be of their desired quality. Unless of course that there are electric companies that would run an audiophile cable all the way from the central generator to your house for an extra fee.

Reply #26
Assuming perfect cable within their house, perfect outlets and perfect cables, they still have to deal with the electric co cables on the street that to say the least, will not be of their desired quality. Unless of course that there are electric companies that would run an audiophile cable all the way from the central generator to your house for an extra fee.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322414"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or they could feed their house in current by installing a giant audio-grade transformer spool, out of audiophile-grade wire, and a solid silver core

Feed that into milspec military-grade radar diodes and capacitors, to filter the current, straighten the signal, and create a buffered virtual ground for your whole house.  Modulate the signal using a vibrating Himmalayan quartz crystal, to get an awesome sound purity in your .. 60Hz AC current...

Then, you need the best audio cables and power cables, and you can listen to the Voice of God...

Only problem is, you'll need to re-morgage your house.  Twice.

Reply #27
LOL

I bet there are also some that claim that hydroelectric, thermoelectric, carbon and nuclear generated electricity sound different!!

Thermoelectric feels warm and nuclear feels flat, but i'd much rather go with the distortion of hydroelectric, carbon is just dirty.

Reply #28
Just figuring things out..

Seeing these people say that some power cables reproduce harmonics, that means Music sounds different in Europe than in the US and Canada?  Because of 60Hz vs 50Hz AC lines?

Reply #29
i'd much rather go with the distortion of hydroelectric

I think this theory's all wet.

(Sorry, I tried to stop myself. Really!)

Mark

Reply #30
Thanks guys.

However, the religion comparison is somewhat flawed since several of these people are trying to use (pseudo-)science to support their views, while most theists I know accept that there is no "proof" of their beliefs and rely on faith instead.

Reply #31
Thanks guys.

However, the religion comparison is somewhat flawed since several of these people are trying to use (pseudo-)science to support their views, while most theists I know accept that there is no "proof" of their beliefs and rely on faith instead.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322427"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The analogy may not be 100% correct, but what it was meant to say is. Faith wins over wisdom. You cannot change someone elses beliefs - only he/she can. Similiar to the saying that you can only show someone else the door - but not push him/her through it. Someone has to completely change his way of thinking before you can "get through". Thus, any attempt to change the views of such a person are in vain, because the prerequisites aren't met.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #32
The analogy may not be 100% correct, but what it was meant to say is. Faith wins over wisdom. You cannot change someone elses beliefs - only he/she can. Similiar to the saying that you can only show someone else the door - but not push him/her through it.

but you can, if you're strong enough.  Until recently, a small company named Microsoft has been doing so, spreading news that Windows is Better, to the world, simply depending on influence to state such information.

Well, no, not just influence.  Influence and money.  Same difference.

Edit : Makes me think.. maybe if we sold audiophiles standard cables for 500$ a foot, they'd buy some and think it sounds better. Then, when we have 98% market share, we just tell 'em that it's crap.

Reply #33
The analogy may not be 100% correct, but what it was meant to say is. Faith wins over wisdom. You cannot change someone elses beliefs - only he/she can. Similiar to the saying that you can only show someone else the door - but not push him/her through it.

but you can, if you're strong enough.  Until recently, a small company named Microsoft has been doing so, spreading news that Windows is Better, to the world, simply depending on influence to state such information.

Well, no, not just influence.  Influence and money.  Same difference.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322429"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Difference is that marketing is injecting *beliefs* into people, instead of removing them. Actually, you've scored an own-goal: there are countless objective reasons why a macintosh would be better for joe-average...
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #34
" Informal listening tests have the weakness of being affected by placebo"
Thats interesting and probably true. So does informal sex.

To an extent this guy clearly know's what he is talking about in terms of engineering, but as Pio pointed it out he might be the telling the truth, but his point is moot.  I wish I took a class in physics to really understand all of the terminology difference between alternating current and direct current (maybe I will sooner or later) I understand a little bit, but his unwillingness to provide any listening tests is absurd.  He just appears to be another prententious stereophile seeking status for their $2,000 cables. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322392"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, I think what he was saying there was that he doesn't care whether something is affected by placebo or not if he enjoys it.  In other words, he doesn't care if the power cable truly positively affects the sound, as long as he believes it does.  Leave the monkeys in their cages. 

Reply #35
i'd much rather go with the distortion of hydroelectric

I think this theory's all wet.

(Sorry, I tried to stop myself. Really!)

Mark
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322424"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL!!

Reply #36
He was obviously trying to explain the sound of cables with objective facts.
The problem is that he doesn't have enough technical knowledge or have not experimented enough by himself in order to realize that those are all marketing BS or urban legends.

Reply #37
At last a complete calculation of skin effect, including inductance, and much more stuff
Indeed. The page has been around since at least early 2003.

Reply #38
Feed that into milspec military-grade radar diodes and capacitors, to filter the current, straighten the signal, and create a buffered virtual ground for your whole house.  Modulate the signal using a vibrating Himmalayan quartz crystal, to get an awesome sound purity in your .. 60Hz AC current...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322417"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, but be careful - if we were actually talking about mains filters then I think everyone would agree that they at least could have an effect, if the mains is "dirty" and the audio equipment has a poor power supply unit which lets some of the extra signals carried on the mains leak into the audio output.

But we're not talking about that, so carry on...

Cheers,
David.