Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foo WombatShare (Read 18558 times) previous topic - next topic

Foo WombatShare

New plugin for Foobar2000, allows you to share tunes between media player instances on a network. Woot  Its over in the 3rd party components site.  Its a very early alpha and 'd appreciate any feedback on it that you can provide.
Thanks!
Foobar2000 WombatShare plugin

Foo WombatShare

Reply #1
Download link doesn't work for me.

Foo WombatShare

Reply #2
Yes, it seems that upload fails for some reason. Is the plugin over 400kB? (That's the current upper file size limit.)

edit: And it seems I should add some kind of URL tag thing to cope with links that long

Foo WombatShare

Reply #3
I'm looking into it as we speak..it worked briefly..*sob*

edit: Okey..fixed

Foo WombatShare

Reply #4
Hi,
I've just updated version 0.2 of the plugin.  This version now correctly drops its cache files in the components sub directory rather than c:\  Woot.  Also some slight changes in the underlying protocol.  I guess no-one's given it a bash yet ?

Foo WombatShare

Reply #5
Hi,
I've just updated version 0.2 of the plugin.  This version now correctly drops its cache files in the components sub directory rather than c:\  Woot.  Also some slight changes in the underlying protocol.  I guess no-one's given it a bash yet ?

my roomate doesnt use foobar for some reason.

ill try it when i can tho.

Foo WombatShare

Reply #6
If he uses winamp, just get him to install the wombatshare plugin for winamp.. or tell me what he *does* use... and I'll try and figure out how to write a plugin for that player ....

Foo WombatShare

Reply #7
If he uses winamp, just get him to install the wombatshare plugin for winamp.. or tell me what he *does* use... and I'll try and figure out how to write a plugin for that player ....

trying this now...

Foo WombatShare

Reply #8
Nice One

Foo WombatShare

Reply #9
This is an excellent idea - I can use it to have only one copy of our family's music rather than having to copy lots of it to various machines. Thanks for making it.

I will try it today and let you know any problems I have.

Foo WombatShare

Reply #10
PS. A useful player to write a plugin for would be Window Media Player. My sister uses it and I can't convert her to foobar or winamp as she want something which is very simple to use - ie when she buys a new CD she want to be able to put it in the drive and click rip and it does everything for her... (including naming and getting album art) Plus she rather likes the way WMP works.

Foo WombatShare

Reply #11
I get a
ERROR (CORE) : Failed to load DLL: foo_wbtshare.dll, reason: Unable to load DLL.
message here.... what libraries are this plugin dependant on?
(Using fb2k 0.8.1 beta 3 w/XP sp1.)
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Foo WombatShare

Reply #12
Ok.

It works well when it works. Things that don't work:

1. Pressing Enqueue or Play, Enqueues or Plays all the files on the computer I'm looking at regardless of if I only have one file selected.

2. There seem to be issues with unicode filenames.. I can play everything but files with umlauts etc.

e.g.
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "http://192.168.0.4:9005/fetch?fn=C%3A%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Music%5CClassical%5CMahler%20-%20Symphony%20
No.3%20in%20D%20minor%5C03.05_%20Wieder%20sehr%20gem%C3%A4chlich%2C%20beinahe%20langsam%20%2827%29.flac" (0)

Features I'd like to see added:
1. TAGZ support for Artist and Title. A lot of my music needs more than just the Title field to distinguish between tracks (e.g. classical music with parts)

2. A choice of which playlist to be Playing or Enqueuing to.

Otherwise very impressed

Foo WombatShare

Reply #13
First off apologies for it not working very well at the minute  If you look at the winamp version its a lot more polished, you're really look at my first alpha release here <g>

@teetee :
1)I'd like to write a plugin for WMP, not sure if its possible at the minute, but it is on my todo list.  Currently finishing off making it platform independant
2) Current Enequeue+Play functionality is as intended.  I will provide a right click, popup to play currently selected tracks (and enqueue)
3) unicode filenames, ok, cool, I need to look into that..I have my suspicions as to what that might be.
4) Playlist to add to... hmm I'm not *actually* a foobar user, I didn't realise you could have multiple playlists.. I'd need to look into this (I reckon it'd be possible foobar seems pretty flexible if a little confusing to code into  )
I hope that covers things

@mr rabid teddybear (like your nic  )  I've run depends on it, it seems to only require :
USER32.dLL
UTF8API.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
WSOCK32.DLL

These should be present on your system.  A little puzzling.  The only one I'd be unsure about is the utf8api.dll which is from foobar. Does this come with the standard foobar ?

Foo WombatShare

Reply #14
.. hmm I'm not *actually* a foobar user, I didn't realise you could have multiple playlists...

GET THE TAR AND FEATHERS BOYS!

haha j/k

it's nice to see developers actually making things for foobar without actually using it!

Foo WombatShare

Reply #15
The only one I'd be unsure about is the utf8api.dll which is from foobar. Does this come with the standard foobar ?

Yes it is needed by foobar and every version (lite, normal, special) has it.

Foo WombatShare

Reply #16
Well to be fair, I'm using it right now, as I make changes to the underlying apis using foobar whilst testing winamp  I actually can see (from a geek PoV) foobar's advantages, but habit still makes winamp easier to use for me    You never know I may change over one day <g>.

If anyone has the relevant skillz <g> could they do me a favour and check if I've buggered up my dependancies on the uploaded dll.  I didn't *think* I required any odd dlls as I'd statically compiled most in.  But I'd appreciate someone who knows better than me [I'm mainly a Java dev so my C++ isn't perhaps as sharp <sic> as it used to be!]

Foo WombatShare

Reply #17
@mr rabid teddybear (like your nic   )
Thanks!   
I've run depends on it, it seems to only require :
USER32.dLL
UTF8API.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
WSOCK32.DLL

These should be present on your system.  A little puzzling.  The only one I'd be unsure about is the utf8api.dll which is from foobar. Does this come with the standard foobar ?

Yes, utf8api.dll is always istalled with fb2k, it cannot run without it. The installer installs a different version of utf8api.dll for 9.x/me and nt/w2k/xp. Well, dependencies are not my problem, then... 

Just redownloaded foo_wbtshare.dll, put it in foobar2000/components folder, restarted fb2k. This time fb2k freezes halfway in loading, no errormessage.... When disabling foo_wbtshare.dll all is back to normal...... hmmmmm.....

Foo WombatShare

Reply #18
If you have a *lot* of music in your database, its possible that it may appear to 'freeze' on startup the first time you run it up (but control should return within a minute at most) .  Unlikely, but possible as it will automatically build a cache of the files it can display to other users (to reduce the risk of a security abuse).
Just for reference the about on the foobar version I'm testing with says :
"foobar 2000 v0.8 Unicode version Compiled on Feb 24, 2004".
Is this the same as yours ?

Foo WombatShare

Reply #19
I have:
foobar2000 v.0.8.1 beta 3 Unicode version Compiled on: Mar 24 2004
running on XP sp1 w/ AMD Athlon

Foo WombatShare

Reply #20
We weren't the same, I've just downloaded the beta and the version of the plugin on the foobar components website, and it works fine! ... Very strange... ARe you a power-user/user with admin rights (clutching straws a little here!)  Alternatively have you got icq/msn etc [if so and you're quick, pm me it, I've got about 45 mins before I have to go out  ] ?

Incidentally you'll need to open ports 9000 + 9005 if you're using the default windows XP firewall.  (This shouldn't crash it, but it's possible)

Foo WombatShare

Reply #21
Yes, I am a poweruser. Just killed off that msn background process (it's really annoying that a program won't stay dead when you've shut it down and clearly don't want it running. I could have uninstalled it, but I need it sometimes...). Still fb2k starts up then freezes. Not coming back after 4 mins I guess it's frozen solid....
Could be some obscure conflict with another 3dparty plug, though....

Foo WombatShare

Reply #22
I *really* *really* don't understand ! The only thing I can suggest is trying it on a 'clean' install of foobar.  This just works for me .  If that does work if you can tell me which 3rd party components you're using so I can work out why it falls over that would be great
Soryr about this dude

Foo WombatShare

Reply #23
One last thing, I based my code on foo_tutorial 1.  If you happen to have this plugin compiled/installed, try removing it in case i've botched something up in the extension.
Cheers.

Foo WombatShare

Reply #24
OK. It's obviously a conflict with other 3dparty plug. I did a second clean install with foobar2000_0.8.1b3_special.exe full, and here it works. As to which plugin it conflicts with.... ehhhumh  I seem to have trillions in my first install.... Well, uhm, here's the full list:

[ EDIT: Deleted now meaningless thread clutter. ]