Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Column UI Suggestions (Read 11808 times) previous topic - next topic

Column UI Suggestions

Reply #25
musicmusic: That looks amazing! Hopefully you can get the next version of foo_ui_columns out asap (yeah, I know you said it will take a time in the official thread, but still)! And also let's hope people start making those 3rd-party-plugins-for-a-3rd-party-plugin when it's released
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231124"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, well sidebar and toolbars support are more or less done now. It was all working fine but then I changed things and it all started blowing up.. It seems to be fixed now though so maybe I can get an alpha release out in a few days.

musicmusic, what's your email? I\'m going to send a mockup to you )
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232080"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, use the upload forum, I mean public discussion is a good thing.

@musicmusic: I have an idea for the sidebar, but I'm not sure if I can explain it well enough, but I'll try.

So you know how some plugins (foo_temple or foo_dbsearch) have a window of their own? I was wondering if it would be possible to have the contents of those windows to open up in the sidebar? You could somehow select the wanted window (perhaps a "Sidebar" menu under "Components" that would either show the contents of "Components" (a bad idea) or it would contain a configurable list of wanted components) and it wouldn't open a new window but open up in the sidebar.
Just imagine something like the database search or a foo_bacon visualization (Milkdrop!) in the sidebar. It would be perfect.

I understand that this can be very hard to achieve (or even impossible), but you asked for it....
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232164"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I would say impossible.

Heres my extremely rough idea:

Basically some sort of media libary that allows you to generate a "playlist tab" thats actually just the output of a graphically entered sort command on the entire database.  So far just like iTunes.

Except the panes would be configurable to corrisond to any number of metadata items in the foobar database.  Heres an increadibly rough mockup of the idea:

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234691"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Closest thing maybe possible in the next version would be if someone developed a toolbar like that.

Interesting ..
What Mike Giacomelli's mockup seems to suggest is that the playlist (track title, length, etc) is generated by metadata corresponding to selected item(s) the sidebar, while musicmusic's mockup implies the opposite - that the sidebar will show other database entries relevant to the currently highlighted playlist item.

I'm not sure which idea i personally like better; both would be a great compliment to the way fb2k displays my music collection, but i'm leaning towards musicmusic's idea as more 'useful' 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234959"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Im not sure I quite follow you. The Album list panel I made sends the entries to a playlist named "Database View" so they appear on the playlist. Not ideal as playback of the playlist would get interuptted if you switch view. But well I was hoping someone else would work on it when it gets released.

Column UI Suggestions

Reply #26
I have also been wanting a media library feature. I decided to put together a quick mockup of a really convenient way to implement a media library. Its pretty much self explanatory:

Tell me if the image url is broken

Column UI Suggestions

Reply #27
Here's a mockup of the idea I had in mind to display cover art from the cover tag and/or folder.jpg.

Not sure if the buttons on the left side is a good idea. The same thing could be achieved by right clicking the picture i guess. It was more of an aesthetic thing. Maybe it can be an optional component. Other optional compenents that can be user defined could be cover art border, border color, left-align cover art, center-align, right-align, etc, or display no cover-art altogether.

Column UI Suggestions

Reply #28
based on metal_termite's idea maybe a toggle between explorer/favourite/playlist.. or such... I'll make another mockup later, a bit tired right now

Column UI Suggestions

Reply #29
Interesting ..
What Mike Giacomelli's mockup seems to suggest is that the playlist (track title, length, etc) is generated by metadata corresponding to selected item(s) the sidebar, while musicmusic's mockup implies the opposite - that the sidebar will show other database entries relevant to the currently highlighted playlist item.

I'm not sure which idea i personally like better; both would be a great compliment to the way fb2k displays my music collection, but i'm leaning towards musicmusic's idea as more 'useful' 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234959"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Im not sure I quite follow you. The Album list panel I made sends the entries to a playlist named "Database View" so they appear on the playlist. Not ideal as playback of the playlist would get interuptted if you switch view. But well I was hoping someone else would work on it when it gets released.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235198"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, gotcha!

From your original mockup, i thought the sidebar was a constantly searching Database View, showing items relating to the Album/Artist/Genre/Title of the selected track in your playlist 
_
psy.