Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's the 'Warn' meter for? (Read 16212 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the 'Warn' meter for?

Reply #50
Can someone explain what the javascript popup does?

It opens a page that shows you the reasons the admin/mod gave when he warned you.AFAIK, members and developers can't see each other's reasons, they can only see their own.

Reply #51
Sheesh. I go on vacation for a week and I'm welcomed back by this eyesore.

Will an admin please take some time to clean up the tangled mess to the left of each post? I see an avater, 3 or 4 line breaks, several statistics of dubious importance, and now this 100% redundant "Warn: (0%)" to boot. My screen only shows two posts at a time now, and most of the screen is wasted space.

"Member No." is totally useless, and the "Group" is already given by the tagline under the avatars of special users. And yet we're still missing the "Location", which can really come in handy when someone asks a location-specific question.

Honestly, if someone causes trouble, just tell them "you've got a warning". If he/she keeps it up, block the account. How can someone whine if their account is deactivated? (Not that I have anything against a little whining... )

Sorry I'm so cranky, but it's 3am and some strangers have locked themselves in my bathroom to have sex, and I need to take a piss. And the cat looks ready to throw up on my bed.

Reply #52
<rant>

Sheesh. I go on vacation for a week and I'm welcomed back by this eyesore.

I feel your pain.  Similarly annoyed, I spend hours upon hours of my time reading posts to stay on top of the community, defusing or moderating flame wars, administrating these forums and all HA related/hosted websites, fixing little bugs (that most people would never even notice) late into the night that take hours to track down, spend thousands of dollars on add free and fast hosting so that a bunch of strangers can browse my website hassle free, dealing with trouble users who like to make my life difficult by spamming/attacking the server/mass spamming my email/or just harassing me in general; largely to field complaints and get an occasional thank-you.  Mostly I just get bug reports though or a "this is not working -- fix it."

Sheesh is right... Don't you just wish the world was just more fair?

Will an admin please take some time to clean up the tangled mess to the left of each post?

Sure, I'll add it to the infinitely long TODO list which I already spend ungodly amounts of time (that I really can't afford to waste on HA in the first place) on.

I see an avater, 3 or 4 line breaks, several statistics of dubious importance, and now this 100% redundant "Warn: (0%)" to boot. My screen only shows two posts at a time now, and most of the screen is wasted space.

Sounds pretty bad, though I'm sure there are worse things in life.  In the meantime, maybe you could try a smaller font.

"Member No." is totally useless,

Perhaps...

and the "Group" is already given by the tagline under the avatars of special users.

Incorrect.  Group name and member description are two distinct fields.  Check out Roberto's post above you for a perfect example of this.

And yet we're still missing the "Location", which can really come in handy when someone asks a location-specific question.

I'll get right on it.

Honestly, if someone causes trouble, just tell them "you've got a warning". If he/she keeps it up, block the account. How can someone whine if their account is deactivated? (Not that I have anything against a little whining... )

The virtues of the warning system, mainly in making my job easier (now as the sole administrator of this board with almost no really active moderators), have already been explained, so I don't think there's much need to argue this point.  You can choose to read the previous posts about it or not.

Sorry I'm so cranky, but it's 3am and some strangers have locked themselves in my bathroom to have sex, and I need to take a piss. And the cat looks ready to throw up on my bed.

I'm sure you're annoyed, but I don't really see how this should translate to taking out your frustration here in a completely unrelated forum.

Honestly, it's posts like these that make me question whether or not I should continue to put so much effort and resources into furthering the community, or even sometimes why I ever did in the first place.

Without fail, no matter what I change, someone complains; no matter how much time is spent, it's not good enough for someone; and above all, no matter what is done, there's very little appreciation and a whole lot of taking for granted.

It seems as if many of the users here at HA have become increasingly judgemental and pessimistic towards the way things are run here, but I have still yet to see many of these same people bother to lift a finger and offer help around here with the fundamental tasks of maintaining this forum or community (though those that have helped are deeply appreciated).

This is nothing personally directed at you -- just think of your post as the straw that broke the camel's back.  I've been a bit agitated at certain aspects of this community lately, and on the eve of getting ready to launch a couple new major aspects to the website (which I have, once again, spent many hours working on), becoming the only remaining admin/maintainer of the site again, and having seen your complaints (after having dealt with numerous previously, in what I thought was a closed issue....) in this thread already; it's difficult to stay optimistic and cheery.

</rant>

Reply #53
Dibrom - thanks for this site, it's been an invaluable and interesting source for me and others. If people whine at you in that manner then please don't take it as a reflection on the majority of users, maybe you should ask those whiners whether they would like to increase the amount they pay towards the site...? 

And if you don't get an apology for that outburst i'd question that users value to the board.

sean

Reply #54
Without fail, no matter what I change, someone complains; no matter how much time is spent, it's not good enough for someone; and above all, no matter what is done, there's very little appreciation and a whole lot of taking for granted.

It may seem that way, but I do not think it is that way. I think the silent majority is pleased with the site. The people with the most negative opinions are usually the ones that actually make their opinions known. Someone will always complain, no matter what you do. It is just not possible to please everybody. It will never happen. Often, you can give people exactly what they ask for and they will still find some reason to bitch about it.

I enjoy reading/posting to this board, and I think the community here is a welcome relief from sites with users that have nothing insightful or interesting to say other than "1 n33d w4r3z. U suk. LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!11111". I think most of HA's members would agree.

(Edited for grammar).

Reply #55
It seems as if many of the users here at HA have become increasingly judgemental and pessimistic towards the way things are run here, but I have still yet to see many of these same people bother to lift a finger and offer help around here with the fundamental tasks of maintaining this forum or community (though those that have helped are deeply appreciated).

I'm sure many would be glad to help. I'm one of them. Just say what you need help with.

Reply #56
becoming the only remaining admin/maintainer of the site again

What?!?! Wow, I'm kinda speechless. For a change...

Also:

What started out as a silly comment about a site add-on is really blossoming into the usual 'I hate it' type of thing. Sorry Dibrom. This certainly wasn't my intention when I started this thread.

IMO, I think some here need to lighten up a bit.

Reply #57
I'm sure many would be glad to help. I'm one of them. Just say what you need help with.

Seconded, thirded, and fourthed.
Too bad beginning early next year, or even end of this year, I'll be conscripted (here it's called 'enlisted') into the army.

Dibrom, if you're shorthanded and want to rope in some help from the members, I suggest that you can start a thread detailing the 'job' vacancies, and garner some responses from those who can make themselves available.

Reply #58
I think the silent majority is pleased with the site. The people with the most negative opinions are usually the ones that actually make their opinions known.

Very true.  For example:  I think that this board rocks (r0><0r5) and that Dibrom is doing a great job.  Keep up the good work!!
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #59
...and above all, no matter what is done, there's very little appreciation and a whole lot of taking for granted.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I think it's actually good that you posted that rant. Once browsing HA daily has become a "habit" for someone (like for me and many other members here), one tends to forget the amounts of effort behind it, and this kind of "reminder" makes you realise that. We're [nearly ] all pleased with HA, but don't show our appreciation often enough for what really is a first-class service whatever way you look at it.

I think this should change. A first step would indeed be a thread where you list all issues you need help with - even minor contributions could make a big difference if enough people were ready to help, which I'm sure would be the case.

Think about it. Many members have been active in this forum for nearly 2 years now - that's a good basis for collaboration if you ask me.

By the way... where's that PayPal account you promised to set up?

Reply #60
A small suggestion:

IMO, the "Warn: 0%" is self-contradicting. If I haven't been warned, the simple absence of a warning would be equally saying. The downside to having it everywhere is that people get used to seeing it. If the few members who actually have been warned just have a "Warn: 33%" (or something) it would noticed be much more. Less visual clutter, more relevant information.

Nice forum, BTW

Reply #61
I just want to add too that this forum has been an invaluable information source for all my encoding needs! It doesn't go un-appreciated even if it isnt shown as much as it should! keep up the good work dibrom!