Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Secure audio ripping to image file(ex. .iso) (Read 8713 times) previous topic - next topic

Secure audio ripping to image file(ex. .iso)

I want to rip an audio cd, but instead to a big wav+cue or individual tracks, I need a pure image file(iso, bin, or any other).
Many proggies can do it, but no one has a "secure" rip
feature, like EAC.

Any help?

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #1
You can make the iso afterwards using http://www.winiso.com/

Reply #2
This will be great.
I never used WinIso, but will look for a demo version of it.
Tnx for replying.

LIF

Reply #3
Looks like I gave you a bad suggestion.
WinISO does not support audio at all.

I spend some time searching for a proggy able to do what you want but with no luck.

Reply #4
There were hints about ripping protected CDs extracting an ISO and loading it in a wav editor. Maybe it can be easy convert a wave into iso. Maybe there is just to save it as RAW and change the extention to ISO. I don't know but you can try to load audio ISO in RAW mode and see if there are some headers in addition to the audio.

Reply #5
You're right WinIso cannot handle audio.
My intent is to create an image that can be used
with virtual cd drive apps.
But no luck in finding any app with does a "secure" rip to image yet.
I'm not too familiar with RAW. But IsoBuster has some
features on this, I think.

I'll try Pio's suggestion.

LIF

Reply #6
You could just rip with EAC then load the cue file in Daemon tools.

You can then copy it or whatever. It will behave just like an ISO image.

Reply #7
Agree with the previous speaker ... you can mount any Cue-Sheet with DaemonTools ... you can even rip from your mounted image afterwards using EAC ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #8
why not just keeping the WAV + CUE?

if you want to burn, load the CUE and burn. you'll get a perfect image of the original CD 

Reply #9
I'm having a similar problem:
A friend of mine bought an Audio CD and wants to rip it to her computer. The poblem is EAC doesn't seem to work with her CD/DVD drive (the only one she has). I thought she could make a CD Image from the CD and send it to me, and i would rip it myself with EAC. However, i can't find any program that creates 1:1 copies of a CD. The Audio Cd isn't protected, or anything... it's just a regular Audio CD. I ask her to download and install WinISO, but i found later it doens't support audio. I've also tried Clone CD and ISObuster in my computer...  but the results weren't satisfactory:

CloneCD - I don't know why the hell CloneCD asks me if i want to make an Data/Audio/Video CD image... I mean... isn't it possible to copy raw data only? An exact cd image, like if we were copying a cd with Nero? why does it has now? besides, choosing Audio CD the image is corrupt and EAC can't rip it.

ISOBuster - I tried to create a RAW data image (.bin) but the image was corrupted. After mounting it on my virtual drive, EAC only recognizes 1 track.

Can anyone please give a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Reply #10
yup...

Padus discjuggler.. make a image.. (cdi)
split it upp.. with CD mage or isobuster.

Reply #11
I'm having a similar problem:
A friend of mine bought an Audio CD and wants to rip it to her computer. The poblem is EAC doesn't seem to work with her CD/DVD drive (the only one she has). I thought she could make a CD Image from the CD and send it to me, and i would rip it myself with EAC. However, i can't find any program that creates 1:1 copies of a CD. The Audio Cd isn't protected, or anything... it's just a regular Audio CD. I ask her to download and install WinISO, but i found later it doens't support audio. I've also tried Clone CD and ISObuster in my computer...  but the results weren't satisfactory:

CloneCD - I don't know why the hell CloneCD asks me if i want to make an Data/Audio/Video CD image... I mean... isn't it possible to copy raw data only? An exact cd image, like if we were copying a cd with Nero? why does it has now? besides, choosing Audio CD the image is corrupt and EAC can't rip it.

ISOBuster - I tried to create a RAW data image (.bin) but the image was corrupted. After mounting it on my virtual drive, EAC only recognizes 1 track.

Can anyone please give a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance

If the drive can't use EAC perhaps CDex would be the next best choice.
AFAIK ripping with a regular ripper, then mounthing and the ripping with EAC will give you as bad a rip as if you just rip with any ripper in the first place. I could be wrong about that though.

Reply #12
mh, i guess the offsets when ripping from a deamon tools drive are 0/0 - right? 

Reply #13
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=ST&f=20&t=4883

According to this thread, this will work in Windows (which I haven't tried) as well as in Linux (which works well):

cdrdao read-cd --device x,y,z --paranoia-mode 3 --with-cddb disc.tao

This will read the entire CD using cdparanoia and produce a single .bin image.

Reply #14
AFAIK ripping with a regular ripper, then mounthing and the ripping with EAC will give you as bad a rip as if you just rip with any ripper in the first place. I could be wrong about that though.

Of course you're right, you can't get better rip than the original.

If there were a program that creates 1:1 copies of a CD Audio, it would be used instead of the slow EAC.

And what makes even less sense is to rip that 1:1 image with EAC. If you have a 1:1 image, just burn it!

If you want a secure ripper, you have an obvious choice: rip the tracks twice with any program and compare them (with EAC -> Tools -> Compare WAVs).
CDDAE does this automatically.
If the drive reports C2 errors you can also use Feurio (if configured).

You will only lose the inaudible offset correction made by EAC if you knew those settings for her drive.

Reply #15

Of course you're right, you can't get better rip than the original.

If there were a program that creates 1:1 copies of a CD Audio, it would be used instead of the slow EAC.

And what makes even less sense is to rip that 1:1 image with EAC. If you have a 1:1 image, just burn it!

If you want a secure ripper, you have an obvious choice: rip the tracks twice with any program and compare them (with EAC -> Tools -> Compare WAVs).
CDDAE does this automatically.
If the drive reports C2 errors you can also use Feurio (if configured).

You will only lose the inaudible offset correction made by EAC if you knew those settings for her drive.

no. 1:1 copy has different meanings. When copying copy-protected games you will talk about copying the "errors" that the cd holds as a protection. This is considered a 1:1 copy because you want to try to copy the errors as well. CloneCD is good at this kind of 1:1 copying.

Audio ripper should however not try to copy errors and therefore it is not a 1:1 copy in the sense it is used when dealing with copy protected cds.
You want to copy what should have been on the cd.

What I was not sure of was if 1:1 images (in the sence of copying errors) would hold information that EAC could use to create a 1:1 copy in the sense you want when dealing with audio cds. I don't think this is the case but I couldof course be wrong.
If I did not understand the original poster what he suggested would give him a 1:1 copy in the sense that in will copy the errors and EAC will not be abelt to tell that it would have been as it would if it had had the original cd.

This is why I suggested CDex as an alternative because it at least has some kind of secure ripping.

Reply #16

Are you sure? I thought a CD Image was supposed to be an exact copy of the contents of a cd, no matter if it is data, audio or whatever...
I used Padus DiscJuggler as suggested by n68 and successfully created an image (.cdi) of the audio cd. Do you think if she ripps the CD using CDex would be a better solution?

Reply #17

Are you sure? I thought a CD Image was supposed to be an exact copy of the contents of a cd, no matter if it is data, audio or whatever...
I used Padus DiscJuggler as suggested by n68 and successfully created an image (.cdi) of the audio cd. Do you think if she ripps the CD using CDex would be a better solution?

Yes I'm sure. The goal of programs like CloneCD is to copy the cd as a cd-reader would see it. Copy protections (eg. safedisc 1 and 2) rely on unreable sectors (I guess it does something like try to read a sector and if the cd-reader doesn't return that the sector was unreadable it will say that it is not the original cd) and to make a copy of this you need to copy all errors as "you see them". This is not the goal of course when ripping audio cds.

Reply #18
Copying protected games is much more tricky than just reading errors without correcting them. In fact, EasyCD Creator and Nero are perfectly capable or reading a CD ROM without correcting errors.

In the FAQ, the entry "Why is not CloneCD advised for audio ?" confirms that the "trick" of not correcting errors is no more than performing a "burst mode audio extraction" of the CD ROM !

Game protections use dreadful tricks not always fully understood (Safedisc 2 : using illegal merging bits between the EFM codes so as to keep an impossible DSV null ? Using periodic pit/lands to trouble the optical pickup ? Securom : Measuring the angular separation of distant sectors using access times...). More infos in the Optical Storage Technical Discussions section of the CD Freaks forum

Emtee, if EAC recognizes only one track, get the last version, and try the three manual TOC detections.
BTW, how do you know it's not protected ? Some CDs are protected without notice. Try CD Freaks tricks

Reply #19
Iso images can AFAIK not contain these errors.
Image formats as cloneCD's and blindwrite's can however.
Is this not correct or does nero and EasyCD Creator have another image format that can contain errors?

Reply #20
I haven't actually tried this, but I think it might work:
Using Nero, select the Image Recorder from the "Choose recorder..." menu item in "Recorder" and then burn your Cue Sheet using "Burn Image". If I am not wrong, this should produce a .nrg image file with the audio data ripped by EAC.
AFAIK, WinISO can translate this NRG image into ISO, in case you don't want a nero-specific image.
Please let me know if it worked.

~Dologan

Reply #21
Is this not correct or does nero and EasyCD Creator have another image format that can contain errors?

I'm not sure, but ISO images can contain these errors. It's easy to check. Use a 650 MB CD ROM. If the image is 650 MB, it doesn't have the error codes. If it is 740 MB, it has them.
Note that an audio image is 740 MB too, because all bytes are used for audio, while in CD ROMs, some bytes are used for error correction.
That's why "making a 1:1 audio image without error correction" doesn't make sense. Any wav file is ripped without the ROM error correction since audio CD don't have it.
Note : a completely raw image with all EFM, C1 and C2 codes would be about 1.5 GB.

Copying SafeDisc (for CD ROMs, with the so called "weak sectors") is hardware dependant. There are sequences of pit/lands that disturbs the optical tracking. According to the SafeDisc topic in CD Freaks, the DSV would be too high, it means that there are too much pits, thus too few reflected signal. There are patches that process the image in order to circumvent this problem ("amplify weak sectors").
BlindWrite, that can copy Securom, uses a recording of the density of sectors along the groove in addition to the image.

Reply #22
Emtee, if EAC recognizes only one track, get the last version, and try the three manual TOC detections.
BTW, how do you know it's not protected ? Some CDs are protected without notice. Try CD Freaks tricks

Pio2001, as far as i'm concerned, at least in Portugal, all the protected CDs must include some kind of warning in the CD case, otherwise they are violating the law (i'm pretty sure there's a law for that). I really don't think this one is protected, since it is from an humble portuguese band. I can ask my friend to check it, though.
btw, thanks for the usefull links to the cdfreaks forum.

I haven't actually tried this, but I think it might work:
Using Nero, select the Image Recorder from the "Choose recorder..." menu item in "Recorder" and then burn your Cue Sheet using "Burn Image". If I am not wrong, this should produce a .nrg image file with the audio data ripped by EAC.
AFAIK, WinISO can translate this NRG image into ISO, in case you don't want a nero-specific image.
Please let me know if it worked.

~Dologan

Following the advices Jan S. gave me, and those minix kindly PM'ed me (great portuguese ) i think i'll abandon the cd image method... I'll ask her to try out CDex. However, i'm not sure it will work properly. EAC didn't, will CDex work?
And please remember I don't own the CD, and I don't want to give its owner too much trouble - she's a very good friend of mine, I'd like to have a concise method before telling her what to do.

I'd like to know Pio2001's opinion on this. It seems it isn't possible to create an accurate image from a CD Audio. From the experience you have from CDFreaks forum, is there any tool that double-checks the blocks for errors, during the image creation, like EAC does?

Reply #23

I'm not entirely sure how Roxio's Easy CD Creator (specifically version 5 Platinum what I have installed) goes about it, however there were three PC games that I play alot and feared of them being out of print since they were difficult to find in the first place. I desperately wanted to backup the three games which I could never do successfully by just copying the files to the HD with Explorer or Xcopy and then burning a CD because the installer's would instantly pop-up a message like 'Insert original install CD."

After creating an ISO with Easy CD Creator and then burning the disc using the ISO everything worked (e.g.; the copy is seen as an original CD).

This behavior insterested me so I went about testing and trying to copy the disc contents using Explorer and Xcopy again to create a test backup copy, and the disc wasn't noticed as an original.

Reply #24
It might be worth giving Alcohol 120% a try. I use it to manage disk images in a virtual drive, and its the best tool I've tried so far. It is good at extracting images of copy protected data cds, although I haven't tried it for any copy protected music cd - I don't tend to buy the sort of stuff that is copy protected. It can also load cue sheets with the associated wav file as a virtual cd, so it should solve your problems.

http://www.alcohol-software.com/software_120.php

.dd.