Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3 (Read 13719 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Why is everybody sayin' that Winamp 3 sucks? Why is Winamp 2 better? I would appriciate some real reasons.

Thx.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #1
winamp 2 is:

· less CPU & memory intensive
· lots of plug ins
· lots of skins
· less bloated
· more stable

That's what I think at least.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #2
Maybe because all the people here is only using Winamp for listen music... 

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #3
I commented on that here..

Windows AMP (amplifier). What does an amplifier have to do with VIDEO?? I DON'T WANT to use video with winamp. There are many other good programs for that, that are better, my favourite is Zoom Player which with no doubt is FAR better than Winamp 3 for video.
What IS this bullshit? I'll tell you what, AOL wants Winamp to have video support, so Winamp 3 has video support, that's just about it.

Anyway, many other reasons Winamp 2 is and will always be better.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #4
I have to agree with witchboy.  However, the only reason why I use winamp is because of its stable plugins and its allround stability.

Winamp 3 has some very unstable plugins at the moment!

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on what Im about to say, but I am sticking with winamp2 for the same reason why Im sticking with windows 2k, which is better allround stability, and a lot more streamlined.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #5
- faster
- more stable
- no fancy crap

Windows AMP (amplifier). What does an amplifier have to do with VIDEO??

Windows AMP? I suggest you read the winamp faq. :-)

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #6
OK. I'we just switched to WA3 today, because of a really cool skin I found for it. I know it takes a little more memory, but I didn't noticed any stability or any other problem. YET. Of course I didn't installed video player & crap.

Why do u say it's bloatware?

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #7
Im guessing you havent installed any audio pluggins like aac, mpc, or 5.1 channel plugins!

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #8
Well, I prefer Winamp 3.
The playlist is a lot better than the one in Winamp2 and the media library is very practical. I also prefer the look and the technics behind Winamp3.

IMHO it isn't bloated, you don't have to install the Video component etc. Winamp3 has been very stable for me, but this might depend on the Plug-ins you have to use (I use MPC). It starts a little bit slower, but still fast enough (Usually I start it once and let it run for some hours..).

If I just want to listen to a file, I take Winamp2. But for serious listening I usually take Winamp3.

Remember that this is the first final release, it will become better with further releases.

btw. I recommend this downloads for Winamp3:

http://www.winamp.com/components3/detail.j...ponentId=119523
lets you configure many things you can't by default

http://www.blorp.com/~peter/
Download the latest Winamp3 Plug-ins (critical updates) and the Replaygain Component - if you want.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/mpc/winamp/
MPC Plug-in (I use 0.92a Alpha - works perfectly)

This is my opinion 

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #9
winamp2 is stable - winamp3 not
winamp2 has a quick start up - winamp3 not
winamp2 doesn't stress cpu very much - winamp3 does
winamp2 has a lot of nice plugins - winamp3 not
winamp2 plays tracks perfect - winamp3 not. eg: start playing one single song and switch repeat on. you'll see that both songs fade into each other. that really sucks
winamp3 has video support that nobody wants - win<AMP>2 has nothing to do with that video shit
all my input plugins are working very well with winamp2 - there are none of them found for winamp3
winamp3 has cool skins - winamp2 has not. at least not that good. but they are perfekt for audio playing. if u want skins you could have used MS WMP years ago.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #10
Im guessing you havent installed any audio pluggins like aac, mpc, or 5.1 channel plugins!

May I ask what's wrong in MPC plugin?

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #11
winamp2 is stable - winamp3 not
winamp2 has a quick start up - winamp3 not
winamp2 doesn't stress cpu very much - winamp3 does

if u want skins you could have used MS WMP years ago.

For me WA3 IS stable, it does have a quick start & it doesen't stress my CPU (a little bit maybe). Those were the first things I was checking out after I installed it. + memory consumption <- sucks at this. yepp. i must agree.

Please, don't give me the WMP crap. Thx.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #12
"Windows AMP? I suggest you read the winamp faq. :-)"
Couldn't find anything about it.. I always thought amp stands for amplifier. What else could it possibly stand for?

And Xenion, you said that Winamp 2 doesn't have cool skins, HMMM.. I'll prove to you that people made some great looking skins for Winamp 2, no Winamp 3 skin that i've seen up till now is better than any of those Winamp 2 skins i'm gonna add to my future site.
Some Winamp 3 skins may look cool, but almost all are HARD to understand and use, simply not comfortable. I like style AND comfortability.

And i agree with everything else that you said .

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #13

May I ask what's wrong in MPC plugin?

I cant remember which 1 it was but when I installed all of them together, I was not able to play aac in 5.1 format or was it wav in 5.1 format?

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #14
WA2 is able to play my music format to my satisfaction.

No need to fix something not broken yet!

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #15
I cant remember which 1 it was but when I installed all of them together, I was not able to play aac in 5.1 format or was it wav in 5.1 format?

AAC plugin prevents all other formats from working.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #16
When i tried it with WA3 it didn't prevent me to play mp3's, it's, xm's and wav's... didn't try other formats though. Not going back to Winamp 3 ANYTIME soon either .

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #17
fixed.
supports listening to internet radio/shoutcast, but not broadcasting yet.
thanks for the correction Sawg.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #18
Uhhh... Winamp3 supports SHOUTcast and Internet Radio.  There is no component for broadcasting yet, but you can listen.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #19
"Windows AMP? I suggest you read the winamp faq. :-)"
Couldn't find anything about it.. I always thought amp stands for amplifier. What else could it possibly stand for?

What's that name again?
Winamp.  Not WinAmp, nor WinAMP.  It's not just for Windows any more and it hasn't used AMP in years.  Though for Winamp 3 you do usually see it written as Winamp3.  If you add any more capital letters in there don't be surprised when the Hired Goons show up at your door.

PlayMedia - AMP

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #20
I know it's written "Winamp", what's wrong with you?  I used AMP to amphasize.
And yeah, it WAS WinAMP, and i sure bet it meant Windows AMPLIFIER. YES, it's not just for Windows anymore, but that's what it meant and i'm pretty sure that "amp" is amplifier. If not, then please tell me WHAT it stands for..
Winamp. It really whips the llama's ass!

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #21
When i tried it with WA3 it didn't prevent me to play mp3's, it's, xm's and wav's... didn't try other formats though. Not going back to Winamp 3 ANYTIME soon either .

It probably has worked sometimes, but couple of latest builds from Roberto's page have been problematic. If AAC plugin is installed only AAC works, all other natively supported formats cause Winamp to crash immediately.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #22
And yeah, it WAS WinAMP, and i sure bet it meant Windows AMPLIFIER. YES, it's not just for Windows anymore, but that's what it meant and i'm pretty sure that "amp" is amplifier. If not, then please tell me WHAT it stands for..
Winamp. It really whips the llama's ass!

Well, since it's not 'Windows AMP' anymore, it can now play videos. :-)

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #23
pffff give me a break
To me it will always mean win amplifier, win not necessarily meaning Windows the OS. Many user enviorments are windows like, and Apple did "windows" before "Windows" ever existed.
But it's an amp, justin never meant to create a video player, especially not a video player called "WinAMP"...
I'm sure that the majority of people don't care for video support in WINAMP.
I think this all video thing is dumb. Winamp will never be the best video player, it IS though the best AUDIO player, so why make it just another "jukebox"?
And again, i answer my own questions.. AOL.

I remember that once they asked the users how Winamp for Mac should be called. "Should it remain Winamp?". Well it remained Winamp, and a good thing it did.

Winamp 2 Vs Winamp 3

Reply #24
Actually, video was a pretty common requested feature.  Besides, you do have the choice not to install it.  It's only an extra 200K (cnc_dshow.wac and video.wac) which also covers WMA support.  Of course, if Nullsoft didn't make it it wouldn't take long for someone else to though.