Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 1.3.9 beta discussion (Read 10925 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 1.3.9 beta discussion

Peter, thanks for the new beta. I was playing with the encoder settings for a little bit this week and I saw that the MP3 section has all the commands, that you can find on all the AACs, missing. Can you please add the checkboxes to easily change between VBR, ABR and CBR instead of going inside and change the string manually? It will come very useful for the huge podcast community.

* I guess Vorbis too (but I think MP3 is more important for podcasting etc.)?

Thanks.

Reply #1
Change Log:
  • New high-quality but slow resampler based on dBpoweramp/SSRC code, as an alternative to fb2k's PPHS resampler.
  • Prevented clobbering of certain exotic M4A tags.
  • Smooth scrolling in Default User Interface list controls.
  • Added missing menu command for the new ReplayGain playback mode.
  • Added oversampled peak scanning in ReplayGain scanner.
  • Fixed 96KHz AAC & ALAC playback.

Reply #2
kHz.

Hey, I'm crazy ok?

Reply #3
Visualization pauses when scrolling playlist.
--------------------

Reply #4
Please leave "smooth scrolling" disabled by default, it makes me sick, it's one of the first things I always disable in other software as well (Firefox for example).

Thanks.

Reply #5
Please leave "smooth scrolling" disabled by default, it makes me sick, it's one of the first things I always disable in other software as well (Firefox for example).

Thanks.

I'm having a hard time seeing the smooth scrolling.

Reply #6
Just thought I'd say that I really appreciate the oversampled peak scanning.  It's also seems really fast (I set to 4x oversampling).  I had been using the r128gain gui which is fine scanning per folder, but I couldn't do a mass scan of my entire music library.

Reply #7
Beta 2 released:

-New high-quality but slow resampler based on dBpoweramp/SSRC code, as an alternative to fb2k's PPHS resampler.
-Prevented clobbering of certain exotic M4A tags.
-Smooth scrolling in Default User Interface list controls.
-Beta 2: made smooth scrolling disabled by default as it stalls visualisation updates. You can enable it in advanced preferences.
-Added missing menu command for the new ReplayGain playback mode.
-Added oversampled peak scanning in ReplayGain scanner.
-Beta 2: Added tweaks for ReplayGain peak results display, in advanced preferences.
-Fixed 96 kHz AAC & ALAC playback.

Thanks for the Smooth Scrolling disabled by default Peter.

Reply #9
One more thing I should've asked long time ago but always forgot. Is there a way to show the presets in actual order? For example, as photo shows, 128 > 96 not 1 < 4.

Thanks.

Reply #10
Cursor follows playback does not behave as it did in v1.3.8, in v1.3.9b2.

In v1.3.9b2 the "Cursor follows playback" highlights the current playing track, but the highlighted track is on top or bottom in the playlist view when using random/shuffle playback.

Before, in v1.3.8 the highlighted track was always in the middle of the playlist view when using random/shuffle playback.

Anyone else having this issue?

Reply #11
In v1.3.9b2 the "Cursor follows playback" highlights the current playing track, but the highlighted track is on top or bottom in the playlist view when using random/shuffle playback.

Before, in v1.3.8 the highlighted track was always in the middle of the playlist view when using random/shuffle playback.

1.3.8 wasn't always in the middle, was in much more occasions in the middle, 1.3.9 is almost always on top or bottom and sometimes in the middle, not sure it's an issue though.

Reply #12

1.3.8 wasn't always in the middle, was in much more occasions in the middle, 1.3.9 is almost always on top or bottom and sometimes in the middle, not sure it's an issue though.

Well, it's not really an issue. It's just unexpected behavior, as I'm used to current playing track to be highlighted in the middle of the playlist view.

Maybe the new behavior for the playlist view is unintentional?

We'll see in the next beta...

Reply #13
What's the difference from beta and stable, is it worth it to just use BETA?

that was the first thing I Installed but due to me believing it didn't recognize my audio driver, I uninstalled it.

and If I were to choose to upgrade to beta how should I do it without losing components or anything?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here.

Reply #14

Well, it's not really an issue. It's just unexpected behavior, as I'm used to current playing track to be highlighted in the middle of the playlist view.

Maybe the new behavior for the playlist view is unintentional?

We'll see in the next beta...
It was a side effect of another change: don't scroll the focused item to the middle of playlist when using cursor keys to walk playlist.

It's been resolved in beta 3: explicitly highlighting the now playing item centers the playlist again.

What's the difference from beta and stable, is it worth it to just use BETA?

that was the first thing I Installed but due to me believing it didn't recognize my audio driver, I uninstalled it.

and If I were to choose to upgrade to beta how should I do it without losing components or anything?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here.

Unless one of the fixes mentioned in the change log is relevant to you, you're probably better off using stable. Just install the desired version over your existing installation - without uninstalling - and all your settings and components will remain there.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #15
Unless one of the fixes mentioned in the change log is relevant to you, you're probably better off using stable. Just install the desired version over your existing installation - without uninstalling - and all your settings and components will remain there.

Thanks.

Reply #16
Also FFmpeg 2.8 was released 6 days ago.

Reply #18
I get a 1.08 album peak value with the new Replay Gain Scanner, for a standard cd extracted to flac files (with an oversample factor of 2). Has anyone ever seen this?

Reply #19
Yes, it is typical for most music on CD's to have intersample peaks higher than 1.  I've got quite a few albums around 1.30.  If you do a search on intersample peaks, true peaks, EBU R128, ITU-R BS.1770 you should get a good understanding.

Reply #20
Ok thanks!

Reply #22
It was a side effect of another change: don't scroll the focused item to the middle of playlist when using cursor keys to walk playlist.

It's been resolved in beta 3: explicitly highlighting the now playing item centers the playlist again.

I tried beta 3, installing over beta 2, unfortunately it did not fix it. But, exiting foobar and then deleting Core.cfg. then start foobar, everything is normal again, except that I lost much of my settings.
I think I'll do a clean install when 1.3.9 stable is released.

Reply #23
I tried beta 3, installing over beta 2, unfortunately it did not fix it.

It did "fix it" here. I only use it portable and I always install new versions over.

Reply #24
Dear Peter,

I'm very happy, you've added oversampled peak detection to RG scanner. Thumbs UP!
Besides RG usage, it is very good feature for checking of intersample peak levels after encoding to different lossy formats (eg. for your own music, works or for instance to check other audio files after re-sampling process).

I'd like to ask you for two features, which could be very useful (IMO)

- display peak values also in decibel unit at RG Scan Results table (dialog after scan)
Currently only way, how to obtain that dB values (eg. for compensation of that in DAW), is to manually reenter all results (no clipboard copy) to some spreadsheet and recalculate it there... 20*log10(float_peak_value).
Or possibly add %replaygain_album_peak_db% and  %replaygain_track_peak_db% to title formatting variables.. one can then create own playlist column.

- some easier way, how to switch between oversampled and non-oversampled scan than dive into advanced settings menu.. For me, ideally there could be two sets of RG scanning functions, but I can see, it could be confusing for someone or possibly introduce some UI clutter (although oversampled functions can be disabled by default in the context menu).
Or maybe adding of some action, which can be mapped to keystroke, for toggle between two modes.

Best regards,

Michal