Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: % and * during Lame Encoding (Read 2927 times) previous topic - next topic

% and * during Lame Encoding

I use --alt-present-standard with LAME 3.90.3 and Exact Audio Copy.

After EAC rips the track and opens the command prompt I can see each bitrate.  Can anyone tell me what the information here actually means?  I tried to do a search on but it wouldn't let me due to the less than three character limit.

For instance

320 [2321] %%%%%%%%********

What do the numbers in the bracket and the % and * mean?  Every track I have encoded on various albums contains both, but on one track from Led Zeppelin one I only saw %'s.

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Search the forum for your answer.

Reply #2
Yes thank you.  I actually cannot search on the '%' and '*' characters due to a minimum three character limit in searches.  I'll try elsewhere.

Reply #3
Try the words LAME and histogram.

Reply #4
Ignore Steve here... he's being a jerk.

the % means L/R (stereo) frame, while the * denotes a M/S (mid-side stereo) frame. These only show up when using Joint Stereo.

Reply #5
320 [2321] means 2321 frames (1 frame = 1/75 sec.) encoded at 320kbps.
Different frames are encoded at different bitrates when using VBR modes ; very hard to encode frames are encoded at 320kbps to achieve good quality.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.[/span]

Reply #6
It's in the FAQ, two positions left to the "search" button.