Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 3.90.3 (Read 11692 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #25
Probably a good idea to get a known stable version (i.e. based on 3.90.2) tweaked to use --preset as a synonym (i.e. alternative) to --alt-preset as well as for the existing presets of very old Lame compiles.

A minor interface niggle is also the need to specify the destination filename so you don't get an output file called file.wav.mp3. This might simplify EAC commandline options, where users wouldn't have any problems if they left out the %d (for destination filename) when setting up a user-defined encoder.

Frankly, it may also be worthwhile to modify some of the text output too, including the output of --help and --longhelp to advocate --preset standard as the default setting for transparent encoding.

How about indicating that --r3mix is superceded by extensive blind testing (suggest --preset standard for transparent quality, or suggest --preset standard -Y for similar bitrates at better quality, or even hardcode the latter as a replacement with an appropriate informational message).

It might also be worth printing on-screen warnings when non-recommended psychoacoustic mode switches are added to presets and suggesting those that are safe. (It might also safe repeated questions on these forums)
Apart from mono downmixing and -Z, the only switches I understand to be artifact-'safe' modifications to -APS, -APE and -API are:
-F
-Y  and
--lowpass
providing the lowpass doesn't exceed the level used in insane, where it might seriously risk hitting 320kbps too often and lacking enough bits to encode the audible stuff properly. I guess higher -b values are possible too.

Here's an example warning as a suggestion (perhaps a bit long).
What do you think?

User types:
lame --preset standard -k -noshort -q 0 --tt "Test file" test.wav test.mp3
Code: [Select]
I n f o r m a t i o n a l   W a r n i n g !
--preset standard has been highly optimized and tested to avoid audible
artifacts within the limitations of MP3, including the use of code-level tweaks
not accessible from the commandline. If you want to use more bits "to feel
safe" use --preset extreme If you are trying to fix artifacts, use --preset
insane (320 kbps CBR).
You have specified additional switches which affect the psychoacoustic model:
 -k --noshort -q 0
Such modifications may introduce audible artifacts, and should only be used
for testing purposes.
However, there are a few artifact-safe commandline switches for --preset
standard that will not generate this warning:
-Y    gracefully lower bitrate by ignoring frequencies >16kHz if these require
     excessive bitrate (MP3 spec lacks sfb21 scalefactor, so accurate
     representation of high frequencies can force unnecessary accuracy below
     16 kHz in variable bitrate mode)
-F    disable use of 32 kbps frames for digital silence (fix for
     non MP3-compliant decoders including some portables)
--lowpass <freq>  safe unless above about 20.6 kHz

Edit: typo

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #26
There's enough confusion about LAME versions and alt-presets yet. I think it is more practical to recommend -Z.
It's OK to have an unofficial compile with -Z included (e.g. a CDex-dll). But regarding non-windows users, it is smarter to recommend -Z for APS/APE.

I disagree.  What should happen is that the -Z option should be removed completely.  Once again, this is the problem with exposing experimental options to the normal frontend...

Recommending -Z not only goes against the whole idea of the preset supposedly doing everything you need, but it also encourages people to use experimental options without really knowing what they do.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #27
@john33:

any success yet in adding the additional commands/texts??

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #28
@john33:

any success yet in adding the additional commands/texts??

I should have something for you to look at tomorrow.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #29
*yeeessayin'amano*

just added 3.90.3 to the sticky "recommended compiles thread". I hope dibrom won't kick my ass.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #30
OK, people, try this version of 3.90.3 for size!! 

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/lame-...0.3modified.zip

This version has been modified to allow for the use of either --alt-preset or --preset in the command line. The encoded results using our beloved presets are bit identical with the current 3.90.3 compile. 

Further modifications:

1. As in 3.93.1, the old presets - phone, voice, fm, etc., are now alias's for ABR settings.

2. I have added Gabriel's MEDIUM and FAST MEDIUM presets. These do NOT give bit identical results with the 3.93.1 compile because there have library changes in between. However, I can't detect any audible differences but, no doubt, those of you with 'golden' ears will advise whether this is so. I put these presets in because it was easily done. If the consensus is that they shouldn't be in this compile, they are easily removed; it's up to you.

Comments would be appreciated.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #31
downloading...

tnx, old guru of compiles.

EDIT: just checked the compile. the result was exactly the same as with the normal 3.90.3 compile.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #32
I can't see any harm in adding the medium presets, and I welcome the idea, as they're an added tool for when bitrate takes a little more precedence over complete transparency, but you want to lose transparency as gracefully and unannoyingly as possible. Without the ability to choose fractional quality levels, like mppenc -quality 4.26 --xlevel would do, this is a decent option, and ought to retain a little more quality than an equivalent bitrate ABR option.

I haven't tested the medium preset before, so I can't comment on the differences, but it might be a good option for EAC's Low Quality switch:

EAC Additional Commandline Options example:
Code: [Select]
--preset %hstandard --tc "EACsec, lame3.90.3m pres-std"%h%lfast medium --tc "EAC, lame3.90.3m pre-fastmed"%l --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #33
hey,

I've been using LAME 3.90.2 with --alt-preset standard, and then --alt-preset standard -Z to use noise shaping 1 with the standard profile once it became recommended.  Is 3.90.3 worth downloading over 3.90.2 if you already use -Z with the --alt-preset standard command in 3.90.2?
thanks

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #34
hey,

I've been using LAME 3.90.2 with --alt-preset standard, and then --alt-preset standard -Z to use noise shaping 1 with the standard profile once it became recommended.  Is 3.90.3 worth downloading over 3.90.2 if you already use -Z with the --alt-preset standard command in 3.90.2?
thanks

In a word - no!  If you already use -Z, the only advantage of 3.90.3 is that you don't need to remember to add it to the command line.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #35
thanks for your quick concise reply John33!  B) , I'll continue using 3.90.2 then

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #36
@ CiTay, john33 or any other person that knows a definite answer to this question:
Is --preset insane better with the -Z option or not?
Here is why I am confused: 

CiTay's post
Dibrom's post (updated by CiTay May 13th)

From what I understand, CiTay is saying that api does not need -Z. -Z helps with aps and ape but not api. -Z forces api to NS2 instead of the default NS1 which is better in the first place.
Then, in the recommended compiles, CiTay (he is the one who updated the post) says that 3.90.3 produces better quality for aps, ape, and api compared to 3.90.2 when used without -Z.

So which one is it?

I am interested in this because I need a selected few CDs to be ripped at max quality in MP3s. 
Thanx. 

Edit: Yes, I read LAME's long help, but it does not talk about the -Z in a lot of details. I ran it using LAME.exe in the 3.90.2 pack. I noticed that -Z was taken out of the 3.90.3 help  . Good idea  .
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Ib[/span]

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #37
-Z toggles between NS1 and NS2. --api uses NS1 by default (its not like it costs anymore kbps anyhow with CBR), so using -Z will switch to a higher noise threshold, aka sound worse.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #38
@boiling_ice2k4:

I think a 200 kbyte download is worth forgetting about the -Z switch mess. out of soght, out of mind.

just give the latest compile a try: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/lame-...0.3modified.zip

I love it.

@john33: why don't you host the modiefied 3.90.3 at rarewares??

and what about removing 3.90.2, coz it isn't the recommended version anymore??

then you host 3.90.3 as the recommended compile,
3.93.1 as the latest official compile
and 3.94 alpha, and 4.0 alpha, to make us see the near and the far future.

just some ideas,
amano

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #39
@ John33, Can you please provided a lame-3.90.3modified With APE and CUE support? I'd love to be able to use --preset with these option
Cheers,
Burgerings

Another Note, Won't it be so good when FINALLY one day Lame 3.94 is fully tested, is the recommendard compile to use and we just use the OFFICIAL LAME version again?

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #40
@boiling_ice2k4:

I think a 200 kbyte download is worth forgetting about the -Z switch mess. out of soght, out of mind.

just give the latest compile a try: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/lame-...0.3modified.zip

I love it.

@john33: why don't you host the modiefied 3.90.3 at rarewares??

and what about removing 3.90.2, coz it isn't the recommended version anymore??

then you host 3.90.3 as the recommended compile,
3.93.1 as the latest official compile
and 3.94 alpha, and 4.0 alpha, to make us see the near and the far future.

just some ideas,
amano

I did really plan to do that but I was waiting for some more feedback on the modified version regarding acceptability, etc.

However, I guess I'll add it as an optional d/l.

@burgerings: OK, I'll do that and post when it's done.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #41
The modified versions (--alt-preset and --preset enabled) of lame.exe, 3.90.3, with, and without, APE and Cuesheet support are now at RareWares MP3 page.

I've also just uploaded the complete sources for the modified 3.90.3 which include the standard version and the one with APE and Cuesheet support (approx. 1Mb d/l).

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #42
@ Jebus: Thx a lot 

@ amano: NO don't remove 3.90.2. I need it when I encode using api. 3.90.3 should not be recommended for api if I understand what -Z does to api and 3.90.3 adds a -Z to api too.
Edit2: The previous statement is pure BS  . Read on in this topic to know my mistake  .

@ john33: does 3.90.3 affect api? In the recommended complies topic, it says it does. In this topic, the only two forms you are mentioning are aps and ape (and the fast presets too).
Edit2: No need for an answer  , I got it from CiTay. Thx.

Edit1: typo.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #43
says that 3.90.3 produces better quality for aps, ape, and api compared to 3.90.2 when used without -Z.

No, i don't say that. All i said is that -Z is used for --aps, --ape and --api, which is correct... the fact that --api always used NS1/-Z is secondary. But i will edit that post to avoid confusion.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #44
... All i said is that -Z is used for --aps, --ape and --api, which is correct... the fact that --api always used NS1/-Z is secondary. But i will edit that post to avoid confusion.

Thx a lot CiTay. Now I get it  . 3.90.3 does not change anything for api (compared to 3.90.2), but makes ape and aps use NS1 which api uses as default. So all three now are using NS1.

Edit: The editted post in recommended compiles makes it much clearer now.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #45
I assume everything is clear now? Excellent!!

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #46
yes. everything is clear now. and 3.90.3 is recommended for api too (so perhaps remove 2.90.2 to avoid confusion, but I don't really care).

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #47
I assume everything is clear now? Excellent!!

yes. everything is clear now. and 3.90.3 is recommended for api too (so perhaps remove 3.90.2 to avoid confusion, but I don't really care).

YES  . Now it is fine. Thanks for being so patient with me  . (  )

Edit: You can remove 3.90.2. I have no objections.

LAME 3.90.3

Reply #48
@ John33, Thanks for making a Lame 3.90.3modified with APE and CUE support
Cheers,
Burgerings