Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File association issue with win7 (Read 4775 times) previous topic - next topic

File association issue with win7

I set the foobar as default program, but after a reboot it lost its file association, for example mp3 file is opened by WMP or itunes. I have to set foobar as default again and again. It happens on both win 7 64bit pro and ultimate with foobar 1.1.6 and 1.1.5. Reinstalled windows doesn't help. I wondering if every one else got same problem. I believe we have to fix the registry, but I don't know how. Can some one help?

Reply #1
Set your associations in File > Preferences > Shell Integration > click Manage file type associations.

If that doesn't work (and it should) then come back here and we'll try to help further.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #2
Or search and likely find an answer in one of the numerous past threads on this issue! Cryptic hints: Set Program Access and Defaults, Optimise this folder for general items.

Reply #3
On 64bit OS, the assoc DLLs maybe glitch, try redownload the official x64 version and install it again

Reply #4
Thank you for help, but file association still taken by other program. You guys have no problem with win 7 64bit?

Reply #5
@byzod: There is no "official [64-bit] version" of foobar2000.

@pro555: To change file associations, you must either run foobar2000 as Administrator or disable UAC.

Reply #6
Please, do not recommend disabling UAC. It's one of the handiest safety features of the OS. The way foobar2000 associations work in Vista and newer OSes requires no elevation as they are for current user only. The player requires elevation though if you add new file formats because information about the new formats must be written for all users. All this is handled automatically and requires no special tricks from the user.

If associations are gone after reboot the problem is somewhere else. Either something restores registry keys to old values (some trigger happy antimalware tool might do something like this) or a program re-associates another player automatically. I'd check what kind of programs you have set to automatically launch on startup. The OS comes with msconfig you can use for this.

Reply #7
Thanks all for helping. I found a clue. Every time I run a media player, foobar lost its file association. Maybe foobar can make its file association more robust like WMP can not be taken over.