Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg finally coming from IRiver... (Read 4431 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg finally coming from IRiver...

Good news!

Jack Moffitt (from the Ogg Vorbis team) just got a very nice reply from IRiver regarding Ogg support in a future firmware upgrade:

Jack, in a future firmware upgrade we will support Ogg Vorbis, currently we do not. As for a speculation on when it will be supported, I will find out from our engineering team and let you know. Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Cheers, 

Christopher Lee Papazian 
Marketing Manager 
iRiver America, LLC 

Look it up:
http://www.xiph.org/archives/advocacy/0218.html

Regards, Stoff

Reply #1
Sounds like really encouraging news for the future of OggVorbis!

john33

Reply #2
Oh, and a follow-up by Jack:

The decoder 'being fast enough' is nonsense. There are ports of vorbis to the arm that are both integer based and realtime. I'll be happy to hook any vendors up with someone who can sell them the code if they are not willing to do this work themselves. 

Everyone should stop talking as if integerized Vorbis didn't exist or wasn't possible. It's been done (almost twice at this point). And i'm sure others are working on it too. 

Sure there's no BSD licensed version, but I imagine it won't be too much longer before someone does to the work and releases the code under a free license. 

See:
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/1006.html

Regards, stoff

Reply #3
As for a speculation on when it will be supported, I will find out from our engineering team and let you know.

I'll be waiting

Reply #4
great news!

Reply #5
i have an sp100, will it support ogg vorbis ?