Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME compiles (Read 427489 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME compiles

Reply #200
  i have tested both the 3.90.3 vs. the 3.92 for file size and quality with 192kps CBR/stereo settings and have found no difference in size or quality.

Hello!  , You will not see a file size difference in compressing 3.90.3 and 3.92 or even 3.93.1 using 192 CRB. Maybe a diffrence in quality but not size sinse your using the same CRB. Even then it might be a difference size if they change the ID tags in the diffrent versions.

Now if you were using VRB then you will see a diffrence in size.

Reply #201

i have tested both the 3.90.3 vs. the 3.92 for file size and quality with 192kps CBR/stereo settings and have found no difference in size or quality.

Now if you were using VRB then you will see a diffrence in size.

You mean VBR, right?  Depending on what the MP3s are going to be used for, I encode everything with the VBR set in the two preset commands I use, '--alt-preset standard' and '--alt-preset 128'

So if there is in fact a difference between the size of the files created with the different versions of LAME, I should see it.  I just haven't had the time in the past week or so to run a few tests.  That seems to obvious way to answer the question.

Thanks,

Shel
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

Reply #202
gday..

You mean VBR, right?

naah.. VRB. is right.. (virtual raving bits.)

Reply #203
It seems there is no centralized webpage or Hydrogen forum thread where all the various LAME compiles, and details about each are posted for review and download. Or have I missed it?

I was wondering the exact same thing as I stumbled upon your post...

OK, I also think things could be simpler for the 'layman'. It's been mentioned that there is no such need for a thread like the one you talked about, but I disagree. I often point people in the general direction of HA forums and they have no idea where to start, plus they're too scared to post questions!! A single thread where everything is explained in a simple manner for newbies to LAME, EAC, etc would be very welcome, I think. I'm happy with what I'm using for mp3 -- the latest EAC pb4, LAME 3.90.3 modified, RazorLame 1.1.5 -- and I trust the golden eared guys here 100%, but it took me a while to work everything out, like several weeks. If people could get into using LAME and EAC more easily then it'd be better all round for everyone. The way to educate people isn't to bombard them with command lines, technical details and such. I wish I could have come here and have been told "you need this encoder, this ripper, this setting for ultimate quality to size ratio, etc" and kept everything simple. Now, I know a fair bit of knowledge to get me through (but nothing compared some of the people here), and I'm glad I learned, but it could have just been so much simpler!

Maybe I'm talking crap, but I think a little more simplification is a good idea. I'm sure many newbies will agree.

Reply #204
So umm, yeah, when do we start putting 3.95 through the wringer to allow it to overtake 3.90.3 as the recommended build?

Reply #205
So umm, yeah, when do we start putting 3.95 through the wringer to allow it to overtake 3.90.3 as the recommended build?

you can make the start, here and now, with ABX results for known test samples.

if you simply want others to do that long and tedious work, don't say "we" please

Reply #206
Incoming 128 kbps  MP3 test will help in this matter.

I'll be doing some testing with GPSYCHO samples in the following three weeks. (ABC/HR)
ruxvilti'a

Reply #207
I'm willing to do my part. Where do I sign up?

Reply #208

sorry for being harsh, but I got the impresion many people asking for a complete preset standard verification don't know what that means.
With one of the most difficult mp3 testsamples imho (fatboy), I am only able to hear artifacts up to 128 or maybe 160k lame CBR. VBR is totally hopeless for me even for that sample.
Anyone who can ABX any sample at aps has my highest respect

Reply #209
It's OK, I've been around HA to see plenty of those people in my time. And quite frankly, it's about time I start contributing back to this community which has given me so much

Reply #210
I'm willing to do my part. Where do I sign up?

Get one of the know problem samples from ff123's page.
Grab a copy of LAME 3.95.
Grab some ABX program.
Grab a pair of headphones.

Be sure to post back results.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #211
what decoder should I use to decode the samples? I've got 3.90.3 and 3.95.1 aps encodes now

BTW - my current plans are to do applaud.wav, castanets.wav, fatboy.wav, ftb_samp.wav, iron.wav, main_theme.wav, pipes.wav, and velvet.wav

Are there any here I shouldn't bother with/one's I should be doing that I'm not?

Reply #212
I would suggest foobar2000's decoder because it makes it a little easier to apply ReplayGain to files, which is an absolute must when trying to ABX, as clipping can trick you for "artifacts".

Load all your files in foobar2000, then click PLAYLIST-->SELECTION-->SELECT ALL
Right-click on the playlist, select REPLAYGAIN-->Scan per-file track gain.
Then CONVERT-->Settings-->Check "use replaygain" (output should be WAV undithered)
Then CONVERT-->Run conversion.

Ready for ABX

Reply #213
I was just going to use FB2K's built in ABX component (it's also setup to replaygain automatically )

Time for fun

Reply #214
what decoder should I use to decode the samples? I've got 3.90.3 and 3.95.1 aps encodes now

Trying to ABX -aps right away if you haven't done any ABX'ing before can be EXTREMELY difficult, then frustrate you and/or provide useless results.

I would suggest trying to ABX 128CBR to "train" yourself on artifacts, then maybe increasing to 160 and THEN to -aps.

Are there any here I shouldn't bother with/one's I should be doing that I'm not?

Some piece of music you are particularly familiar with.
It would make things easier.

Reply #215
I'm getting the following error when trying to replaygain:
file info update failure on pipes3951.wav

and similar for all files I'm trying to replaygain

Reply #216
fatboy and velvet are excellent starter samples, I am at that stage now also

Reply #217
Hmm the mass renamer in Foobar wasn't immediately obvious how to use.  Guess I'll call it a night and fight that battle another day.

Reply #218
I'm getting the following error when trying to replaygain:
file info update failure on pipes3951.wav

and similar for all files I'm trying to replaygain

I don't think foobar will put replaygain tags on wavs.  There used to be an option to allow it but this was labeled as not recommended.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #219
Anyone with experiences in compiling lame with the latest Intel ICL 8.0 C++ Compiler?
Would be nice if someone could compile this version (or the 3.95.1)

LAME 3.96alpha1 bundle 2004-01-15
includes lame.exe, lame_enc.dll and lameACM.acm - ICL7.1 compile - By John33
http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/files/lame3.96a1.zip

with ICL 8.0. Then I would be able to do some speed comparing.

Reply #220
Here you are.

Reply #221
i'm looking for the lame update for wavlab 4

Reply #222
a question that i'm not sure has been answered...

is it possible to configure the ACM version of lame to encode in --alt-presets?

there's an XML file but no instructions on how to tweak it (i haven't looked exhaustively through the html, but i don't remember reading it anywhere in them)

Reply #223
i'm looking for the lame update for wavlab 4

gday...

it should be so simple to copy your desired lame_enc
to your wavelab dir..

Reply #224
Can someone point me to an explanation of how presets work with lame_enc.dll?

Are there the same version issues for using presets with lame_enc.dll as with lame.exe (ie. alt-presets are only recommended for version 3.90.3)?

I record fm radio and encode on the fly using the lame_enc.dll. I can't find a recorder that uses lame.exe and Hard Disk Ogg is the only recorder I've found with support for dll presets.

I've noticed that the dll from lame 3.95.1 seems to use less CPU than the dll from 3.90.3 when I'm recording, so the 3.95.1 version is a better choice if I can understand it works with presets.