Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME compiles (Read 427703 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME compiles

Reply #150
What is the very best LAME version to use now?

or other?

I am currently using 3.90.1, which I hope is OK for now.

Thanks
David

Please read the first post in this thread.

Reply #151
On the EasyLAME website, it says that as of April 27th, they've included the LAME 3.90.3 compile to the program. On this sticky thread though, LAME 3.90.3 was added much later on May 12th. My question is; are both LAME compiles exactly the same and would it be ideal for me to just go ahead and download EasyLAME 1.4 which includes this compile -OR- download RazorLame 1.1.5 from the RazorLAME website and point it to the LAME compile that's available on this sticky thread? Everything is set and ready for encoding in EasyLAME, right? Which way should I go?

Reply #153
If you're talking about the download, it works.

Please provide more details than "it's not working", if you expect someone to fix anything quickly.

However, I assume that you must be talking about the download link, since people with hotlinking browsers or browsers and download managers not sending a html referral (if that's what it's called) had plenty of trouble before.

You may want to configure your browser or download manager to send a referral, and then download by LEFT-clicking, not right-clicking.

Reply #155
3.90.3 is the OFFICIAL HA compile. It was compiled by forum-founder Dibrom and was tuned to perfection by exhaustive listening tests by the "premiere" members of this forum. It is regarded as the best that MP3 currently has to offer, simply because it was highly tuned and tweaked by the most knowledgeable community in the history of audio compression. The alt presets are the result of this efforts and should not be messed with, by usage of extra switches. Believe it, if a simple switch could improve quality, it would be there already.
3.93.1 is the "Official" Lame compile, according to the main developing branch. It is supposed to work with the alt presets as 3.90.3 does, but I think it is wiser to use the actual recommended compile from HA, for the reasons exposed before.

Quite simply, HA's alt presets are the best there are, and 3.90.3 is the ONLY compile tested to death to trust it will deliver anytime.

There's really not much to it.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #156
3.90.3 is the OFFICIAL HA compile. It was compiled by forum-founder Dibrom

Actually, the version hosted at RareWares linked at the first post was compiled by John33. :B

Reply #157
Thanks very much AtaqueEG for clearing that up! I am a bit of a newbie...

I will certainly be using 3.90.3 from now on then (in RazorLame and EAC) with Alt Preset Standard/Insane!

BTW - Is it quicker to encode with Alt Preset Standard or Alt Preset Insane? I am more concerned with quality than file size. Is this question in the wrong forum? Sorry!

Thanks once again,

Gregg.

Reply #158
as stated over and over in several places here, insane will give you technically better quality than standard will, but not by much.  And standard will more than likely give you about as good an mp3 as you're going to hear anyways, at probably a much smaller filesize than insane.  The cases where standard has problems will also exhibit the same problems in insane, so there's not much argument for going with anything but standard, really.

Reply #159
OK, I'll phrase that question again then. I am not so concerned with file size (who needs to be in these days of 12Mbps broad band and close to terrabyte hard drives?), but encoding time is an important consideration. Therefore is it quicker to use Alt Preset Standard or Alt Preset Insane? Guess I should stop being so lazy and go and find out hey?

Reply #160
Insane is faster than standard

Reply #161
I am not so concerned with file size (who needs to be in these days of 12Mbps broad band and close to terrabyte hard drives?)

I am. My deck in my car accepts data CDs, but I see no place on it to plug in a hard drive, let alone a non-existent terabyte one.

Reply #162
Therefore is it quicker to use Alt Preset Standard or Alt Preset Insane? Guess I should stop being so lazy and go and find out hey?

Quickest (and recommended) to use --alt-preset fast standard

Generally sounds the same as regular --alt-preset standard, but uses the newer VBR method which is a LOT faster.

Reply #163
Can someone point me to the source for these compiles?  The version on sourceforge isn't this one, and john33's source also seems to be very different from the code in sourceforge 3.90

(appologies if I missed it - spent ages searching but just can't spot it)

I want to add the ability for LAME to read tags from RIFF chunks in a WAV file while converting to MP3 as everything i have is ripped to WAVs for home use and I want to convert to MP3 so I can use while I'm not at home.

I have MSVC, though I gather from comments that I should really be using the Intel compiler - is there a audible difference between the sets of files produced?

Thanks.

Reply #164
The following compiles can be found on RareWares - i left out the alpha version of 3.94 ...

LAME 3.93.1 stable bundle 2003-05-11
includes lame.exe, lame_enc.dll - ICL4.5 compile using Dibrom's switches

LAME 3.90.3 stable bundle 2003-05-09
includes lame.exe, lame_enc.dll (--alt-preset standard & extreme with -Z option) - ICL4.5 compile using Dibrom's switches

LAME 3.90.3 Modified 2003-07-20
lame.exe only (--alt-preset standard & extreme with -Z option) modified to allow use of --preset as well as --alt-preset, also includes MEDIUM and FAST MEDIUM presets - ICL4.5 compile using Dibrom's switches

LAME 3.90.3 Modified and with APE & Cuesheet support 2003-07-20
lame.exe only (--alt-preset standard & extreme with -Z option) (Nyaochi's patch 0.5.3) includes MACDll.dll for APE file input & CUESHEET support modified to allow use of --preset as well as --alt-preset, also includes MEDIUM and FAST MEDIUM presets - ICL4.5 compile using Dibrom's switches

So, which one is recommended right now?

One of 3.90.3 still or 3.93.1 (because it´s called stable now)?!?
If still 3.90.3 is recommended, i assume the last one should be used, it´s the newest and includes all things from the other compiles ...

Thanx for any help :-)
3.90.3 --alt-preset extreme -V0 --lowpass 20.5 -> yeah!
"extremist of extreme", johnV @ Sep 13 2002 - 02:01 PM  ;-)

Reply #165
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=478

If LAME 3.93.1 would be the current recommended LAME version, it would be there. LAME 3.90.3 is the most tested one and the presets are tuned to the very end and works best with this version. LAME 3.93.1 may be faster, but... that's it...

I don't know how many times people asks this... Trust Dibrom! Maybe he should just update the thread with a short explanation why this version is recommended?

Reply #166
-z-z-z-z-Z-Z-z-z-Z-Z

Dear TJA,

-z is set by default (for 3.90.3) as you could read some replys before.

In another thread (can't find it anymore) someone said the -z option will be disabled if you set it in addition (as it's set twice)

Dibrom 
Posted: Dec 21 2001, 08:48 PM

No need to specify -Z in the commandline for highest quality anymore.

CiTay   
Posted: May 13 2003, 03:27 AM

LAME 3.90.3 now uses -Z by default for --alt-preset standard and --alt-preset extreme (in addition to --alt-preset insane, where it's always been used). There's no need to use -Z in the commandline anymore.

Reply #167
Thanx to both of you!

I will use "LAME 3.90.3 Modified and with APE & Cuesheet support 2003-07-20" from now on and stop using "-Z" for LAME and in my signature :-)
(I came from 3.93 and was hoping that 3.93.1 finally is recommended, tested and stable :-)

Reply #168
All these presets you are describing here, I assume that refer to the command line version of lame (lame.exe).
I am using the lame_enc.dll (v. 3.90.3) +audiograbber for encoding. The only thing I can choose from the VBR encoding options menu is : the method (ABR), the bitrtate (~192Kbps) , the stereo type (normal,joint, dual) and the quality (low, medium, high). I usually choose :ABR, 192 Kbps, Stereo (not Joint), High quality.
Is that equivalent to the --alt preset-standard or something similar to it, or I am doing it the wrong way?

Reply #169
Sure not :-)

But you can use lame.exe as external program in AudioGrabber too!

BUT: Do not use AudioGrabber!
As far as i can remember, it does not provide a "secure" mode (it did not when i switched from AudioGrabber to EAC)! It is quite nice and fast, but not GOOD!
Use EAC - Exact Audio Copy - only!
I mean that :-)

Reply #170
Yes, you are using a burst mode rippoer like AG.
There is dll's that support the alt-presets but I guess AG doesn't support using it.
Use a decent, secure ripper like EAC or CDex (EAC is best). AFAIK CDex supports the dll with alt-presets but I don't know why you would really need to use the dll instead of the exe you can setup in EAC.

Reply #171
1)I can use an external encoder with audiograbber , so I can use lame.exe and set it up the way I want. That's what I am gonna do from know on.

2)Are you sure tha EAC or CDex are better than AG? When I tried then, they produced some click&pops while AG gave a perfect ripped wav file. Everyone says that AG sucks, but for me it performs better than EAC/CDex. Except if there are some settings I must toogle for EAC/CDex to work best...

Reply #172
Are you sure you set up EAC up correctly?
The point of EAC is to avoid clicks and it does this better than anything else. And yes... we are sure that EAC is better if you set it up correctly.

Sure, if you set it up incorrectly it doesn't work as it should.

Reply #173
Hello, please bear with me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Where do I get a 3.90.3 for Linux, or the 3.90.3 source code to compile it myself? Or do I have to use Windows for high quality? I hope not. ;-)

Another thing: What about audio books? Is it "allowable" to add something like -a -b 80 or even -a -b 32 when encoding them (only one voice, mono, no music.)? Or does this somehow destroy the whole point of the alt presets? If I do not use it, 99.5% of the frames are encoded at 128 with --preset standard (I'm currently using 3.93.1 though as I have not found the 3.90.3 source code yet.)

Thank you in advance.

Reply #174
The source and one binary (GLIBC 2.3.1 I believe) is on RareWares.
ruxvilti'a