Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Updated in_mad Winamp MAD MP3 input plugin (Read 302771 times) previous topic - next topic

Updated in_mad Winamp MAD MP3 input plugin

Reply #275
Hi, your mp3 decoder just enchant me. It's great!

But there is a question: in source code  (playback.c) a call to CreateFile has in dwFlagsAndAttributes FILE_FLAG_SEQUENTIAL_SCAN optimisation, it's good. Why this flag has not FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING optimisation? I'm using winamp in very hard system performance environment such playing music with winamp and gaming CS at only 256 RAM -)) Call to ReadFile will read data in your codec buffer and will be cached by kernel 4096 bytes (page size) replacing gaming file cache... This is not good, IMHO, cached by kernel data from mp3 file will never been reused.

Can you correct this program behavior? I've dont have C compiler, rather I've done it by my own.
Sorry for my English, I'm Russian.

Reply #276
I did have a look at the flags for CreateFile a bit ago. The problem with CreateFile using FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING is that the application needs to meet certain requirements with regards to file access, which would mean making some changes to the way the file is read. The criteria are specified on the MSDN site. It might be possible by fixing the size of data read, and making it only read once a sector worth of data has been processed - I'll have a look into it, it might help with the CD reading problem because then windows definitely won't cache the data.

If you download and install Dev-C++ 5 Beta 9.2 with the MinGW package from the Bloodshed Software website, the plug-in should compile without problems using the Dev-C++ workspace .dev file.

Cheers,
Craig 

Reply #277
If you download and install Dev-C++ 5 Beta 9.2 with the MinGW package from the Bloodshed Software website, the plug-in should compile without problems using the Dev-C++ workspace .dev file.

Cheers,
Craig 

I didn't try the current Dev-C++ versions yet, because I switched to Code::Blocks a while ago. Don't know if you ever heard about it, but I think it's great so I recommend you try it out when you have a bit of time. Dev-C++ was quite unstable when I switched, so I'm probably biased by those old builds...

Use a nightly build when you try it, though. The stable release is very outdated.

Reply #278
Well its here, DLL version 0.1.2.0 with a working Unicode implementation. 

The Unicode will only work with Winamp 5.3 or greater, and if it causes problems I've included an option to turn it off. This build also includes a buffer fill level option, and a few other minor changes. I've also moved over to Code::Blocks as a development IDE as it appears much more stable, thanks MedO!

The plug-in is still ANSI based so the tag editor still won't show all characters correctly, and at the moment the Media Library doesn't seem to set tags via the Unicode API either so there is no way to set Unicode tags directly yet.

I look forward to the bug reports and comments. Thanks to everyone in advance 

Reply #279
The new one doesn't work with winamp2.  It doesn't even show up in the input plugins list.
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #281
I've just uploaded DLL version 0.1.2.1, with some changes to how Winamp is told what version the plug-in is. Hopefully, this will fix the compatibility with Winamp 2.

@gameplaya15143, What version of Winamp 2 are you using?

EDIT: There appears to be a slight problem with the above version, the plug-in doesn't appear to detect new winamp versions, and always disables Unicode on startup.

EDIT 2: I've uploaded DLL version 0.1.2.2, hopefully fixing the above.

Reply #282
I had to uncheck "enable unicode support" and restart to get it to start working again in mediamonkey (2.5.5.985 rc-3).

in_mad.dll 0.1.2.2

Reply #283
I had to uncheck "enable unicode support" and restart to get it to start working again in mediamonkey (2.5.5.985 rc-3).

in_mad.dll 0.1.2.2

I wonder what version of "Winamp" MediaMonkey is reporting to the plug-in. The plug-in just simply checks if the quoted version reported by IPC_GETVERSION is less than 0x5030 and decides to automatically enable Unicode or not. I'll have a look into it 

Reply #284
Is this a bug in MAD or is this a bug in Shoutcast?

Sometimes I listen to internet radio that uses Shoutcast. http://NovaStreamRadio.Org/pls/listen.m3u

The tags work fine after the track I tune into is finished playing. The track I tune into has a truncated tag being displayed in the playlist editor. The track being played is "Randy Travis - I'm Gonna Love You Forever" and all I see is "Randy Travis - I"

if the bug is with Shoutcast then feel free to ignore this message.

Reply #285
It is a bug, I'll get it fixed in the next release. Its because the name has an apostrophe which is also the terminating character for the end of the title.

Cheers and thanks for telling me

Reply #286
I've uploaded a minor update. The DLL version is now 0.1.2.7 . This fixes the streaming name problem and a Unicode setting problem. Hopefully, I'll have improved seeking ready for the next update, and perhaps the WA5.3 global settings working too.

Reply #287
I've uploaded a minor update. The DLL version is now 0.1.2.7 . This fixes the streaming name problem and a Unicode setting problem. Hopefully, I'll have improved seeking ready for the next update, and perhaps the WA5.3 global settings working too.

Thanks Dude!

Reply #288
Very nice work updating and enhancing in_mad for Winamp. MAD has been the only mp3 plugin that I have used since I discovered it on its seemingly abandoned homepage, and now I can continue to enjoy it with the added comforts that you have provided through your efforts. Thank you!

I was fortunate enough to find your version of MAD, and I want to give at least a little bit back. Unfortunately, this comes in the form of a bug report. It's nothing big, but when "Prevent ID3v2.3 to v2.4 conversion" is checked, some songs won't have their ID3v2 tag information displayed, neither in the playlist nor the Properties window. With the option unchecked, the info is displayed. I don't know if it applies specifically to files using the ID3v2.3 tag or not, since I don't know how to check the tag version.

There seems to be a problem with the Title Format naming scheme, too; I can't get it to change the appearance of songs in the playlist at all, whatever I try.

I also have a request, which I suppose may actually be another bug report. Whenever an mp3's Properties window is open, I can't scroll the playlist or select any of the displayed files (I use the Classic mode of Winamp). I use plugins (for other types of files) that don't have this limitation, and I'm hoping that you could make this small improvement--to allow manipulation of the playlist while the Properties are open.

Thanks again. :)

Reply #289
Hey, thanks for posting your findings. 

The ID3v2.3 support is a bit experimental, and I only roughly tested it, so I'll have a proper look into it.

With the Title Formatting, Winamp uses Advanced or Basic TF. If your changing it within the plug-in and nothing is happening, chances are Winamp is using its Advanced TF - to change these settings you need to goto the Winamp preferences -> General preferences -> Titles and you'll find Advanced Title Formatting at the bottom.

The property window takes control as a pop-up dialog box, I'll have a look into making it not block the Playlist editor window.

Thanks again for posting your findings. My workload has increased for the next 3 weeks, but I'm doing bits of the plug-in as a hobby break.

Reply #290
With the Title Formatting, Winamp uses Advanced or Basic TF. If your changing it within the plug-in and nothing is happening, chances are Winamp is using its Advanced TF - to change these settings you need to goto the Winamp preferences -> General preferences -> Titles and you'll find Advanced Title Formatting at the bottom.

Disabling Winamp's Advanced Title Formatting fixed it; thanks.

Do you think you might expand the available parameters to encompass more of the options that are in Winamp's Advanced TF (though I don't think I would actually use all of them)? Right now, the main advantage of using MAD's formatting is the ability to include an ELSE with the IF. ...Well, no, I just saw the equivalent in Advanced TF.

Is there a specific advantage to using the MAD formatting editor? Does Winamp (for its TF) check the tags via MAD (and therefore use the tag priority order in MAD), or does it have an independent check? After witnessing the non-display of some info with the ID3v2.3 option (while still using Advanced TF), I believe the former to be the case.

Reply #291
Winamp does use the in_mad plug-in to read the tags for its advanced Title Formatting and it uses the tag preference in the plug-in configuration for reading titles. The basic Title Formatting is there for compatiblity with older versions of Winamp 2.x. If your using a newer version of Winamp, its best to use the advanced formatting as it will make the titles match what other advanced TF compatible plug-ins show. Updating the basic TF to be a bit more advanced is on the to-do list.

Cheers and thanks for testing the plug-in 

Reply #292
I have discovered another small bug. An mp3 with an ID3v1 tag that has no track number will incorrectly display a 0 in the playlist (if track numbers are allocated in title formatting) if the comment has exactly 29 characters in it. I just recently read the specification for ID3v1.1 (and v1.0) tags on ID3.org, and it says that the byte preceding the track number should always be binary 0 (and thus comments are restricted to 28 characters). This means that if a comment contains 29 characters, there can't be a track number supported by the tag because it would then be using the ID3v1.0 standard, which allows comments up to 30 characters long.

I also have a few requests. Could you include an option (or make it standard) to update a file's appearance in the playlist when opening its properties window, so the file won't have to be modified or played in order to refresh it?

If something is typed or changed in the ID3v2 Basic mode, it is lost when switching to Advanced mode. This isn't the case if something is updated in Advanced mode then switching to Basic. Could you please have it keep track of the changed Basic data in Advanced mode?

And could you also cause the Advanced mode for ID3v2 tags to update the input box, etc. by using the arrow keys in the list of existing tags, rather than just when clicking on them with the mouse?

I assume that some (or all) of the things related to Advanced mode that I mentioned would apply to both ID3v2 and APE tags.

Reply #293
Is there any way to make the in_mad plugin able to play this stream:

http://serv1.mmradio.se:8000 <-- its an AAC+V2 encoded stream.

If it cant play it is there a way to make it default to the normal winamp playback, so i can still use aac streams without having to rename the 2 .dll files every time i have to use a specific one of them?

Hope this is possible and thanks for all your greate work on this plugin 

Regards Domin

Reply #294
If it cant play it is there a way to make it default to the normal winamp playback, so i can still use aac streams without having to rename the 2 .dll files every time i have to use a specific one of them?

There never was any need to rename anything. You simply have to remove "MP3" from the file associations found in the "Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder's" configuration and enable the MAD plug-in. Both inputs are set to do their work this way, with MP3 audio being played back by MAD, while any extensions left in the Nullsoft decoder, including raw AAC, keep being its job to process.

To check whether everything worked out as intended, restart Winamp after changing the input settings as described above, then view the file info of an MP3 thingamabob. If the MAD properties window pops up, everything's fine.

Have a look at this screenie if anything shouldn't work out properly yet. One picture sometimes says more than a hundred words:

Reply #295
Hmm, i did not know that but even after i tryed the above setting it still wont play it, seems like the in_mad dont turn over the handeling to the in_mp3 plugin.

Thanks for the help, now i can at least have both dll running ;-)

Reply #296
Hi Domin, can you try this for me,

In Winamp Preferences under General Preferences -> Playlist, under the Advanced Playback Setting where it states "Assume file extension of unknown files is to be" change this from "mp3" to "dummy", and then in Winamp in_mp3 Input Preferences, add "dummy" as a file association extension.

If this works, it is likely to be because the stream doesn't identify what type it is so no plug-in is claiming it for itself and trying to play it back.

Because of the length of time its taking for me to rebuild the plug-in, I'll release bug fixed version of the old code within the next week hopefully for everyone. Thanks for your bug reports 

Reply #297
Greate, this works 

Thanks for greate and lightning fast support ;-)

Reply #298
APEv2 tag basic editor: I think the date and track number fields are wrong.  If I put in a date in the basic editor, it saves it under the 'date' tag instead of 'year' as it should be.  Similar issue with the track number.
(at least I think thats how it was, I just know 2 of the ape tag fields in the basic editor were incorrect)

Still no icecast2 title support?

I'm glad to see you are still making improvements MoSPDude
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #299
Can anyone tell me which or where is the link for the best and latest MAD MP3 winamp plugin?  I find there is a lot of fix in the post, but I never know which 1 should I use. Thank you.