Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_projectM (Read 167256 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #100
it works here too. Great work

edit Going into fullscreen mode by the panel seems to be more "crappy" than using the window: it is less dynamic, more jerky and less accurate: we we can see color transitions for vast areas with different colors.

(I just report it, but for me, it is already perfect like this), it's just for people using fullscreen mode, prefer the window than the panel to go into fullscreen mode

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #101
Since the context menu in the panel version seems to work for everybody now, i m tempted to say "Back to suggestions and nitpicking" 

-I'd like it if we could go to projectM preference from the context menu.

-The animated title isn't centered on the screen ( too much on the left ). It happens in both panel and window versions ( fullscreen or not )
Also sometimes the artist name + the title of the song are too long to be displayed in 1 line. That would be great if we could use $crlf() to make multiple lines
like that : %artist%$crlf()%title% etc . And also have the option to make the text appear left , right, center, top or bottom.

-In the panel version, the first time i switch to fullscreen after booting my computer then the taskbar keeps the focus instead of giving it to the fullscreen projectM. That's not really annoying since a left click in the fullscreen gives the focus to project M but it would be better without this behaviour of course.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #102
edit Going into fullscreen mode by the panel seems to be more "crappy" than using the window: it is less dynamic, more jerky and less accurate: we we can see color transitions for vast areas with different colors.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308082"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't see any performance differences between the panel and the window versions in fullscreen mode. I mean if there are differences , i m not able to notice them

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #103
I released a new version without checking this thread first.  Probably a bad idea.  I haven't done anything about the issue of visualization freezing in the panel because I don't know why it's happening and I haven't been able to reproduce it on any of the three machines I checked.  Perhaps it's related to the version of Columns UI being used (I have 0.1.2).

Add hotkey availability for the context menu and I'll love you to bits.  Not really, but it'd be great.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307969"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do you mean having the context menu key actually bring up a context menu?  If you do, I agree with you.

[request] - ability to turn "Always on top" on and off from the vis window via the context menu.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307988"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Done.
edit: I've noticed that with my setup foobar runs at about 16mb of mem at max, sometimes less. When I start projectM foobar's mem usage jumps to 28 - 32mb. After closing the projectM window the memory level doesn't drop unless I exit foobar and restart it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307988"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hmm, I'll look at this.  I thought I was freeing all of projectM's memory, but I may not be.

it works here too. Great work

edit Going into fullscreen mode by the panel seems to be more "crappy" than using the window: it is less dynamic, more jerky and less accurate: we we can see color transitions for vast areas with different colors.

(I just report it, but for me, it is already perfect like this), it's just for people using fullscreen mode, prefer the window than the panel to go into fullscreen mode
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308082"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Weird.  Is the new windowed version equally crappy?  I made a couple changes while working on the return to fullscreen glitch that may have caused this.  To be honest, projectM has always looked slightly crappy to me, but it was easier to figure out how to make a foobar2000 plugin with it than with Milkdrop...

-I'd like it if we could go to projectM preference from the context menu.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308106"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sounds reasonable.
-The animated title isn't centered on the screen ( too much on the left ). It happens in both panel and window versions ( fullscreen or not )
Also sometimes the artist name + the title of the song are too long to be displayed in 1 line. That would be great if we could use $crlf() to make multiple lines
like that : %artist%$crlf()%title% etc . And also have the option to make the text appear left , right, center, top or bottom.
This is going to take more digging into the projectM source and hence is going to get tabled until I figure out how to get some decent font rendering, especially since if I changed this now, I'd have to go back and change it again when I mess with the font stuff.
-In the panel version, the first time i switch to fullscreen after booting my computer then the taskbar keeps the focus instead of giving it to the fullscreen projectM. That's not really annoying since a left click in the fullscreen gives the focus to project M but it would be better without this behaviour of course.
I've noticed similar behavior with projectM not getting the focus when fullscreen.  It hasn't happened the last couple times I check with the new version, so maybe it's fixed itself.  If not, tell me and I'll explicitly set the fullscreen window to be in the foreground.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #104
It seems that the problem with the fullscreen mode was only temporary. It works fine now

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #105
*cough cough*  i m sorry but i have a problem with the new version 0.97.6
Although the window version works very well on my computer with a nvidia card, panel and window versions now refuse to work on my notebook ( with ATI IGP 340M). I get one of those 4 errors each time i try to add the panel or launch the window

Code: [Select]
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't createvis window; error 2
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't createvis window; error 87
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't createvis window; error 1400
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't createvis window; error 5

for the moment i m going back to version 0.97.5.test2 which was working correctly for me

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #106
*cough cough*   i m sorry but i have a problem with the new version 0.97.6
Although the window version works very well on my computer with a nvidia card, panel and window versions now refuse to work on my notebook ( with ATI IGP 340M). I get one of those 4 errors each time i try to add the panel or launch the window

ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't createvis window; error 2
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't createvis window; error 87
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't createvis window; error 1400
ERROR (foo_uie_vis_projectm): Couldn't createvis window; error 5

for the moment i m going back to version 0.97.5.test2 which was working correctly for me
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308165"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Similar here with the latest build.

ERROR (foo_vis_projectm) : Couldn't create vis window; error 2
ERROR (foo_vis_projectm) : Failed to initialize foo_vis_projectm

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #107
0.97.6.1 is out.  The stupid bug with the window is fixed and some (but probably not all) of the projectM memory is now freed when visualization stops.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #108
Just to add some info on the freezing issue...
It seems that the panel will freeze when you right click on it and don't change any options.  If you right click and change something it's fine.  As soon as you right click it freezes when the menu pops up.  When you click something that closes the menu it starts moving again.  I hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Also, the memory thing seems to be fixed.  When you stop playing the memory still seems to be used, but if you minimize foobar and the restore it the memory is no longer in use.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #109
Hi
i've tried 0.97.6.1 and 0.97.5 and both of them return the error of:
ERROR (foo_vis_projectm) : Couldn't do a buffer swap in WM_PAINT.

when i try to start up the vis

i have fiddled quite a bit and made sure that everything in the readme was followed but i have no clue what WM_PAINT is to do with so...

any help would be greatly appreciated 

or of course if there is anything i can do for you

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #110
To be honest, projectM has always looked slightly crappy to me, but it was easier to figure out how to make a foobar2000 plugin with it than with Milkdrop...
Hmm i thought the same thing about projectM the other day. Maybe when you want to you can still try that Milkdrop thing? That visual is the best i have seen...

edit: i have read the projectM website and i think they will just make projectM visuals better with help of the milkdrop source, so that's a good thing
Inter Deum et Diabolum semper Musica est", Tanzwut

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #111
the new version (0.97.6.1) works fine for me but i still have this "problem"
I've noticed similar behavior with projectM not getting the focus when fullscreen.  It hasn't happened the last couple times I check with the new version, so maybe it's fixed itself.  If not, tell me and I'll explicitly set the fullscreen window to be in the foreground.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #112
It seems that the panel will freeze when you right click on it and don't change any options.  If you right click and change something it's fine.  As soon as you right click it freezes when the menu pops up.  When you click something that closes the menu it starts moving again.  I hope that makes sense and is helpful.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The intended behavior that the visualization freezes when you open the context menu and restarts when you close the context menu.  The panel window doesn't actually create the context menu - that's left up to the extension host.  Is the problem that the menu doesn't close until you select an option?  If so, do other panels do this or just projectM?
Also, the memory thing seems to be fixed.  When you stop playing the memory still seems to be used, but if you minimize foobar and the restore it the memory is no longer in use.
Glad to hear it.

Hi

i have fiddled quite a bit and made sure that everything in the readme was followed but i have no clue what WM_PAINT is to do with so...

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308278"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It means that it's having trouble with double buffering.  I didn't expect that anyone would run into this, but I guess I could make the double buffering optional.

the new version (0.97.6.1) works fine for me but i still have this "problem"
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308366"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Okay, I'll see if I can fix it.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #113
Add hotkey availability for the context menu and I'll love you to bits.  Not really, but it'd be great.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307969"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do you mean having the context menu key actually bring up a context menu?  If you do, I agree with you.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I meant add functionality to the listings found in Foobar2000 > Preferences > Core > Keyboard Shortcuts - as you probably know, everything in that list can be used as a command line argument - very important for my intentions.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #114
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The intended behavior that the visualization freezes when you open the context menu and restarts when you close the context menu.  The panel window doesn't actually create the context menu - that's left up to the extension host.  Is the problem that the menu doesn't close until you select an option?  If so, do other panels do this or just projectM?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308377"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The menu will go away if I click somewhere else without clicking an option.  The problem is the animation doesn't restart once the menu closes unless I select an option on the menu.  Just dropping the menu without selecting something leaves the animation frozen.  Menu functions fine, and I've seen most other visualizations freeze when using a right-click menu, but they also start moving again once you close the menu regardless of whether or not you select an option on the menu.  Good work so far, hope to see this freezing issue go away.  Nothing else seems to be wrong.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #115
The menu will go away if I click somewhere else without clicking an option.  The problem is the animation doesn't restart once the menu closes unless I select an option on the menu.  Just dropping the menu without selecting something leaves the animation frozen.  Menu functions fine, and I've seen most other visualizations freeze when using a right-click menu, but they also start moving again once you close the menu regardless of whether or not you select an option on the menu.  Good work so far, hope to see this freezing issue go away.  Nothing else seems to be wrong.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308468"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm unable to reproduce this behavior on my system (as stated previously, Win XP w/ SP2, GeForce 2, Columns UI 0.1.2) and I can't see how it could occur unless my understanding of how Columns UI handles context menus is horribly wrong.  In case musicmusic happens to be reading this, menu_action always gets called after build_menu, right?

Also, as an additional reply to the earlier post from prawns:  I'm sorry, but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to allow single-buffered rendering as it simply looks too awful to be usable.  Does your graphics card normally support double-buffered rendering or do other applications (e.g. games) have problems with this?

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #116

Looks like this is caused by a foo_uie_tabs bug. I'm only calling ui_extension->menu_action() when a valid option for the hosted extension is actually selected, so it's not getting the callback it needs when another option (or nothing) is chosen. I'm not sure when I'll get time to release a fix, but you might be better off by just handling WM_CONTEXTMENU and creating the menu yourself, as that way your menu isn't cluttered with the menu items of your extension host. Most of the other extensions seem to do this.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #117

Looks like this is caused by a foo_uie_tabs bug. I'm only calling ui_extension->menu_action() when a valid option for the hosted extension is actually selected, so it's not getting the callback it needs when another option (or nothing) is chosen. I'm not sure when I'll get time to release a fix, but you might be better off by just handling WM_CONTEXTMENU and creating the menu yourself, as that way your menu isn't cluttered with the menu items of your extension host. Most of the other extensions seem to do this.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308478"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your definetaly right about that.  Loaded outside of the tabbed panel it no longer does that.  That explains it.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #118
Hi

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308278"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It means that it's having trouble with double buffering.  I didn't expect that anyone would run into this, but I guess I could make the double buffering optional.

Thanks for the reply

Is the problem software or hardware? Could I do anything about it for now or should I just wait for the added option?

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #119
Thanks for the reply

Is the problem software or hardware? Could I do anything about it for now or should I just wait for the added option?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308558"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think the problem is that my software isn't getting along with your hardware.  I don't know if there is anything that you can do about it or not since I don't know what kind of hardware you have.  As I said in a later post, I can't add an option to disable double-buffering because the visualization is extremely flickery and hard to watch without it.  Unless there's some weird bug I can't see, you probably just won't be able to use foo_vis_projectM on your system.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #120
New version is out that works around foo_uie_tabs issue, might not have issues with the fullscreen window getting to the foreground anymore, and has optional main-menu entries to allow keyboard shortcuts for things.  I'm going to be away from my computer for the next several days so, well, I hope nobody has any major issues with this version.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #121
New version is out that works around foo_uie_tabs issue, might not have issues with the fullscreen window getting to the foreground anymore[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308601"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wonderful , those problems are solved for me
Thanks a lot

... and has optional main-menu entries to allow keyboard shortcuts for things.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308601"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a very good addition because thanks to this , there's now a workaround to the panel version not receiving keystrokes

great 

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #122
I think the problem is that my software isn't getting along with your hardware. I don't know if there is anything that you can do about it or not since I don't know what kind of hardware you have. As I said in a later post, I can't add an option to disable double-buffering because the visualization is extremely flickery and hard to watch without it. Unless there's some weird bug I can't see, you probably just won't be able to use foo_vis_projectM on your system.

oh

well in the possible hope that you might spot see something from my hardware/software - i'll just keep it to video related. (if this is just prolonging something...please do feel free to tell me to shut up  )

Video (I'm afraid is...): Onboard 64mb VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
Memory: 448mb (memory is borrowed for the video...)

well if i can provide any more info...else i'll just assume my video card to rubbish  and go and lurk on some other part of the forums 

i would post something about opengl but...um...i'm not sure where i'd find it...

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #123
I think the problem is that my software isn't getting along with your hardware. I don't know if there is anything that you can do about it or not since I don't know what kind of hardware you have. As I said in a later post, I can't add an option to disable double-buffering because the visualization is extremely flickery and hard to watch without it. Unless there's some weird bug I can't see, you probably just won't be able to use foo_vis_projectM on your system.

oh

well in the possible hope that you might spot see something from my hardware/software - i'll just keep it to video related. (if this is just prolonging something...please do feel free to tell me to shut up  )

Video (I'm afraid is...): Onboard 64mb VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
Memory: 448mb (memory is borrowed for the video...)

well if i can provide any more info...else i'll just assume my video card to rubbish  and go and lurk on some other part of the forums 

i would post something about opengl but...um...i'm not sure where i'd find it...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308662"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try updating  your video card drivers.  Its hard to imagine even an IGP wouldn't properly support double buffering.  You may just not have proper drivers installed.  Otherwise, pay 10 buckets and get any card you can off ebay made in the last 5 years

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #124
thanks bleh, you fixed all my issues in the newest version.  any chance in getting overlay support for the visualization?