Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it just me? (Read 13059 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it just me?

Hi. I couldn't help but notice. Ever since Dibrom completely revamped the portal and upgraded it, the number of users posting in these forums has dropped dramatically. Maybe all the members are still unaware that the forums are back online. Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Reply #1
Perhaps there are some people like me who just go to the portal page where previously all the active topics were presented. It's quite time consuming to browse through all the subcategories of the forum to find interesting threads. A solution (for me) is to use the RSS feeds where the active topics are also listed but probably not all people are aware of that.
The best one can do for now is wait until the portal page has been completely restored.

The Link

edit: tempus

Is it just me?

Reply #2
The portal redesign has forced me to discover the View New Posts link in the upper right.

Is it just me?

Reply #3
Hmm .... I should have a closer look before I post stupid things. There's a "Active Topics" link on the portal page and on the forum page there's the "View new posts link" you mentioned. I feel really stupid now. 
But still ... I think the direct integration of the active topics in the portal page was a really nice thing.

The Link

Is it just me?

Reply #4
Hmm .... I should have a closer look before I post stupid things. There's a "Active Topics" link on the portal page and on the forum page there's the "View new posts link" you mentioned. I feel really stupid now.  
But still ... I think the direct integration of the active topics in the portal page was a really nice thing.

The Link
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248320"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree 100%. The Active Topics integration (being displayed by default anytime anyone went to HydrogenAudio.org's main page was a nice feature). Too many people are probably "getting lost" (newbies to site) and not finding the topic they are looking for. If the Active Topics were again displayed by default on the main page near the top to every visitor (without requiring them to find and click on that link) HA would be better off for the (hopefully) increased participation from new users.

Is it just me?

Reply #5
Hi. I couldn't help but notice. Ever since Dibrom completely revamped the portal and upgraded it, the number of users posting in these forums has dropped dramatically. Maybe all the members are still unaware that the forums are back online. Is it just me?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248303"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

While I can't speak for others, I will say moving the Active Topics off of the front page and replacing it with the Wiki has dampened my enthusiam and participation in HydrogenAudio.  I realize that Active Topics is just one click away, but the look and feel of the new front page is off-putting.  Then again, I was never a fan of Wikis to begin with.

Is it just me?

Reply #6
I noticed too that forum is somehow less active lately, but I think this is all good. The way it is now, total newbies won't come to forums asking the same questions (which is the best lossy codec? etc.) 1000th time, but will be instructed on the portal page to go to the wiki where they can find answers. For more interested people, forum will still be an obvious place to discuss things. I'm far from elitist BS and noobs vs 7331 stuff - new members are surely welcome, but IMO current HA layout with more focus on wiki will give better balance.

Is it just me?

Reply #7
I realize that Active Topics is just one click away
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248329"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That depends on how many times you get the "flood control" message. I appreciate all the work Dibrom has put in here, but I do think the board is becoming less and less hospitable to non-members. That may encourage non-members to join, but it might also encourage them to just go elsewhere. 

Is it just me?

Reply #8
That depends on how many times you get the "flood control" message. I appreciate all the work Dibrom has put in here, but I do think the board is becoming less and less hospitable to non-members. That may encourage non-members to join, but it might also encourage them to just go elsewhere. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248343"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Flood control reduced to 1 second for devs. For normal members it's 3 seconds now. Should be short enough...

Is it just me?

Reply #9
That may encourage non-members to join, but it might also encourage them to just go elsewhere. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248343"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's usually what happens when I encounter such a website. Especially true if it's not Firefox friendly. It all depends whether the hassle outweighs the need, so if the need is great enough, I'll more than like sign up. This is rare though, since there are always other more easily accessible places to get the help I need.

Is it just me?

Reply #10
FWIW, I much preferred the old portal page.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Is it just me?

Reply #11
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248320"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second that...

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Is it just me?

Reply #12
Aside from the forum software changes and the confusion etc that go along with them, for the last few months or so, I have seen a drastic DECREASE in the number of posts by old timers. I know they have probably discussed anything and everyting imaginable over and over again, and maybe some of them have MOVED ON, but to me, their posts/insights have really made this website extremely interesting to read and participate. Just my $0.02 

Is it just me?

Reply #13
I hope there are plans to integrate the active topics onto the main page once again.

Surely, the bold headline "Recent Forum Activity" is just waiting for a listing of active topics.

Is it just me?

Reply #14
FWIW, I much preferred the old portal page.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248351"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You and me both...  I figured it was the whole "resistant to change" thing, but it's been a few days and I still really dis-like the new portal page.

Is it just me?

Reply #15
Personnaly I am missing the "active topics" on the front page, and the direct link to new posts from the front page.

I liked the previous layout much more.

Is it just me?

Reply #16
The current look sucks big time.
I find it clunky and not easy to move around.
Why was the old one changed when it was so successful?
I hope it is fixed ASAP.
I also feel less inclined to visit HA as well...
Cheers
Scott

Is it just me?

Reply #17
I too used the "active topics" on the front page. And also it would be nice with a link to rarewares.org on the front page.

Am I completely wrong?

Is it just me?

Reply #18
old layout was certainly better

Is it just me?

Reply #19
people - let's wait untill Dibrom changed the appearance of the portal. if you interested in making it better, see this:
Right now, the layout on the portal is very sparse. I will either reskin it soon, or possibly host a skin design contest if there is enough interest (i.e., post here if you care!).
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=ST&f=2&t=28578

as a sidenote: yes, I also liked the former design more, but I guess moving the wiki to the main page (i.e. portal) has several advantages regarding the forum noise discussed earlier. FYI, work on it. just complaining doesn't help (much  ).
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Is it just me?

Reply #21
Yes, we're really thinking about a skinning contest.  But there will be a seperate announcement for it.

Is it just me?

Reply #22
Personnaly I am missing the "active topics" on the front page, and the direct link to new posts from the front page. I liked the previous layout much more.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248382"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i agree ... :|

Is it just me?

Reply #23
Personnaly I am missing the "active topics" on the front page, and the direct link to new posts from the front page.

I liked the previous layout much more.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree completely.  Frankly the new portal is very uninviting.

1) [a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20040210150728/http://hydrogenaudio.org/]Old Portal[/url]

2) New Portal

3) Active Topics Page

IMHO #1 wins for those who are lurkers or just want an idea of what's going on, which is probably most of the people who visit the site.

edit: fixed Active Topics link

Is it just me?

Reply #24
3) Active Topics Page
That shows Posts since your last visit here, not Active Topics. For Active Topics you have to click the Go button next to the drop-down list of categories of topics.

Well, in general, it looks to me like popularity has increased. In that snapshot of the old portal above, there's 231 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes. At the moment, as I'm typing this, there's 294 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes. Of course, that's from waay before the portal was changed, but things certainly don't seem to be going worse .
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.