Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ID3v2 tags. Nono or Yesyes? (Read 9558 times) previous topic - next topic

ID3v2 tags. Nono or Yesyes?

Reply #25
Originally posted by rjamorim

If you use a good quality streaming server, like shoutcast, it will send file info in the right place: Outside the audio stream.

So: No, streaming doesn't justifies something so outrageous as ID3v2.

Other atrocities in this stupid tagging system:

-Lack of backward and forward compatibility
-You can't create your own tags - you must use predefined ones
-Fux0rs VBR headers, LAME headers and whatnot
-Chokes everything that doesn't recognizes them

Regards;

Roberto.

Now speaking about AAC, are ID3v2 tags good or bad??? for gapless sake. I think i heard that AAC aint trully gapless either because it requires to be encoded in 1024bit segments, correct me if im wrong.

As for using or not id3v2 with mp3, i dont see any problems with stock winamp, just use DirectSound output, configure it and voila, no gaps between live concert albums in any kind of formats, either AAC, MP3 or Monkey. The only drawback about this directsound output is that you need a fast computer, highest priority and a relatively small buffer in orther to prevent skiping. I'm not switching to winamp3 until this kind of features are tunned...

Reply #26
Originally posted by Phobos

i dont see any problems with stock winamp, just use DirectSound output, configure it and voila, no gaps between live concert albums in any kind of formats, either AAC, MP3 or Monkey.

Ummmmm.. no.

I don't know whether the directsound output plugin actually introduces any gappage of its own, but it deinitely doesn't do anything toward removing gaps existing in the mp3 (which there necessarily are). You're either not listening to continuous music, or you're not listening hard enough.

Reply #27
AAC aint trully gapless either because it requires to be encoded in 1024bit segments, correct me if im wrong.

You are right.

You see, my only concern with AAC + ID3v2 is that the tag makes the files unreadable by hardware players or MPEG4ip tools.

So, if you don't plan to buy an Expanium, and don't plan to use your AACs in MP4, you can use ID3v2 safely.
(You can later remove the tags with E.G ID3kill anyway...)

As for using or not id3v2 with mp3, i dont see any problems with stock winamp, just use DirectSound output, configure it and voila, no gaps between live concert albums in any kind of formats, either AAC, MP3 or Monkey.

I agree. I have no problem with my Floyd albums either.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #28

I agree. I have no problem with my Floyd albums either.

Huh? Really? Well I gotta go test it now. I find it hard to believe the directsound output is doing crossfading and not advertising that fact, but here two people are saying they hear no gaps with it... we're talking about mp3's, right? not ogg or mpc?

Reply #29
as i said, being the output plugin it must work with any format, ill post the config i use and i get flawless results (keep in mind i have a fast comp):

buffer length 2000 ms
prebuffer 200ms
buffer ahead 1500ms

Fading

on start, first start and end of song, disabled

Other

Remove silence bla bla bla, UNCHECKED (Relying on db must be left to codec itself)

Compatibility

Delayed directsound output UNCHECKED
Async buffer access CHECKED
Use directsound buffer notification CHECKED

Thats the way it works better for me regardless the tag or the format of any file with also good skip support.

Reply #30
Originally posted by Randum
I find it hard to believe the directsound output is doing crossfading and not advertising that fact, but here two people are saying they hear no gaps with it... 

I'm not using crossfading, only gapless (silence removing)

we're talking about mp3's, right? not ogg or mpc?

No. AAC.

Reply #31
as i said, being the output plugin it must work with any format, ill post the config i use and i get flawless results (keep in mind i have a fast comp):

Oh wow, the directsound output plugin has changed a lot since I last played with it. So it does have explicit crossfading/gap removal... I hadnt looked at the plugin in a long time. Sorry guys, I typically read and post on forums when I'm at work, and can't be playing around with winamp, so it took till I got home and actually looked at the plugin to see what you guys were talking about.

Didn't get a chance to try it yet, hope it works as well as.... forget its name, the 3rd party crosffader plugin I used to use before I started listening to mostly mpc.

Reply #32
Didn't get a chance to try it yet, hope it works as well as.... forget its name, the 3rd party crosffader plugin I used to use before I started listening to mostly mpc.

SQRsoft?

www.sqrsoft.com.ar

IMO, PP's out_ds works as well as SQRsoft - with the advantage of having much better resampling routines (SSRC).

Reply #33

SQRsoft?

yeah, thats the one.

IMO, PP's out_ds works as well as SQRsoft - with the advantage of having much better resampling routines (SSRC).

do have a url for it?

Reply #34
do have a url for it?

IIRC, that's the latest one included in WinAmp 2.80.  If not, you can always get PP's latest stuff at his webpage:

http://www.blorp.com/~peter/

Reply #35
IMHO the problem with ID3V2 is that there are so many revisions of it, many programs are incompatible with ID3v2.xyz. Secondly, and this is no jibe at the id3 guys who have done this off their own back and for free, but many of the id3v2 handling libraries are not bullet proof and can crap out.

Personally, I think if Id3v1 was 256 bytes instead of 128 you would have no real nead for v2... (for most people).

Reply #36
IMHO the problem with ID3V2 is that there are so many revisions of it, many programs are incompatible with ID3v2.xyz. Secondly, and this is no jibe at the id3 guys who have done this off their own back and for free, but many of the id3v2 handling libraries are not bullet proof and can crap out.

Personally, I think if Id3v1 was 256 bytes instead of 128 you would have no real nead for v2... (for most people).

I agree

http://birdcagesoft.com/ID3v12.txt

Reply #37
I personally just use ID3v2 with CBR MP3's (and don't seem to have any gap problems with it on WinAMP, my MpTrip MP3/CD player, or my Apex DVD player). But when I rip to VBR, I don't use ID3v2, for safety's sake, ecause I'dlikely share the MP3's.