Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can MP3 ever DIE out?? (Read 10121 times) previous topic - next topic

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #25
Here are download numbers from www.dbpoweramp.com, I find they are useful for gauging what people (ie the masses) are after:

Downloads Per Codec over last two weeks

Lame Mp3    46591
WMA        13978
mp3PRO    5590
Ogg      3642
Real Audio    3482
Monkeys Audio  2960

Those codecs provide full encoding and decoding, so from those numbers you cannot say 100% that xyz is more popular than abc, because they might be encoding away from it (I suspect Real Audio falls into this category). Taking the numbers simply mp3 is 4:1 over wma, which is 2:1 over mp3PRO. I heavly publicise Monkeys Audio, but for me lossless compression is still 'on the fringe'. I think it will change as Hard Disks become bigger and internet access becomes faster. For most people a HD has to just be x10 bigger than their previous to start storing lossless. Lossy formats will not die away for a long time, alot of people will have slow internet and small memory portable mp3 players.

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #26
Originally posted by spoon
Lame Mp3     46591
WMA        13978
mp3PRO    5590

Ogg       3642

*Sigh* Such a long way to go

Cant we make a bogus Lame-compile that would destroy people's soundcards?

"Either yo down with the Xiph, or I'll put a cap in yo ass"

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #27
if you are affiliated with dbpoweramp.net then please post some things about mp3pro and ogg vorbis so that the masses download ogg vorbis

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #28
I doubt ogg vorbis will become mass accepted until more start appearing in p2p clients,the vast majority of mp3 listeners utilise these clients and most are more than happy with 128 bit files,most badly encoded.

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #29
www.dbpoweramp.net is just a mirror.

If only it was that simple, personally I think ogg is great, I had to go for a lossy format for my collection it would be ogg, but if you take the average 'Joe Blow' guy in the street, he only knows about mp3. I guess that is why mp3PRO is quite popular, trading off the mp3 name.

The question is why is WMA so popular? I would hazard a guess that 'Joe Blow' trusts Microsoft, plus he gets it whether he wants it or not with his PC these days (ME and XP all have WMP). To me WMA has it's place, that is on portable mp3 players with 32MB of flash - 64Kbps or 80KBps WMA v8 is much better than mp3 at the same bitrate. mp3PRO on portable mp3 players? it offers nothing better than WMA, plus you will only see it on thomson/rca lyra players, not on the SONICblues, Creative, Iomega, Intel, mpio, or Compaq players that WMA is on right now. Also if I was a web company that wanted to protect my digital download media, WMA/WMV would be the one to have, Microsoft seem quite committed to keeping the hackers at bay through forced mediaplayer upgrades (that last WMA 8 hack only lasted 2 weeks before MS had a solution). Don't get me wrong, I loathe digital protection systems, and pitty the poor sods who rip their entire CD collection using WMP v7, then find nothing will play their WMA files when they install XP or upgrade...

Ogg has a real up-hill battle, mainly because it does not have a megabucks corporation promoting it.

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #30
I think amadeus got the (a?) point. that perfectioning is lame, imho (which is quite good, at least compared to Xing
So mp3 will stay

I dont like it, because of the quallity. If my mobile phone's  mp3player whould accept Ogg, it whould be great.

aaah, shit happens anyway

bye!

/J
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #31
Originally posted by Tinribs
I doubt ogg vorbis will become mass accepted until more start appearing in p2p clients,the vast majority of mp3 listeners utilise these clients and most are more than happy with 128 bit files,most badly encoded.

The BBC now have Radio 1 and 6Music channels available in Ogg Vorbis format.  Not much good for a dial-up connection but I've seen reports that abr is around 192kbps. Certainly better than their DAB offering !!!

ß

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #32
Originally posted by britannica

The BBC now have Radio 1 and 6Music channels available in Ogg Vorbis format.  Not much good for a dial-up connection but I've seen reports that abr is around 192kbps. Certainly better than their DAB offering !!!

ß

Where can I find those?
The only thing i found when searching was a page telling me that the testing period was over and the streams were taken down.

/Andreas

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #33
streams are down. Send emails to show them that there is interest in those streams!

btw: -q 3 was used, -> 112 kbps

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #34
Originally posted by ancl

Where can I find those?
The only thing i found when searching was a page telling me that the testing period was over and the streams were taken down.

/Andreas

Sorry about that mis-information - it was working a couple of weeks ago !!

I wonder if the BBC have doubts about the 'patent-free' nature of Ogg Vorbis ?
http://support.bbc.co.uk/ogg/

Similar concerns have been expressed by the author of the MAD plug-in
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/212840/001

ß

Can MP3 ever DIE out??

Reply #35
Just the topic says:

Can MP3 ever die out? Can it even die?

Not that I want it to go away, but it seems there are better formats than MP3 now and it seems its time to move on. I understand the market penetration MP3 has achieve within its relatively long (or short) life (anything 5 years old in software equates to 50 years in human years).

Cheers
AgentMil

This will be about $ not encoder quality.
Each new FGH licence period should give you a fair idea of the direction of things.
Each time that comes around the heads go up to look for a way out of that cost to the bottom line.

If Ogg looks good in the press and has recent listening test in germany and the other good press to show for itself comes mp3 licence time it will be the most finacially favourable for anyone, particularly public companies that are looking to convince shareholders they have a way of improving profits by cutting costs.

As mp3 licencing all occurs at one time each year this will be the time things happen if they do and after that they are locked in for another year.

This means you dont have to wait a year to see which way the $wind blows just wait till the new year after mp3 licensing renewal.
Assesing how many new licensee's are out should tell you all you need to know.
You can spot them like a hooker on a street corner, obviously cash desperate.
FnGH enforced promotional activities..
They would rather have a respectable income if it could be had.