Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 48kbps tuning. (Read 3693 times) previous topic - next topic

48kbps tuning.

Hi all,

I am limited to use a bandwidth of about 8 kHz and 48kbps for a stereo signal. Limiting the bandwidth is easy from the commandline but since only 8kHz is coded I would like to enable loss less stereo coding. Could this be done from the commandline? Or is this not needed because the encoder will use lossless stereo coding if enough bits are available. I get the feeling that the stereo image is a bit unstable.

What would you propose for a commandline if I want the best quality I can get at 48kbps with 8kHz bandwidth. Should I for example resample to a lower samplerate than 44.1kHz?

Thanks in advance

48kbps tuning.

Reply #1
"Stereo Image" problems are quite common for Vorbis at low bitrates (mainly between q 0 and -1). You could try using a higher q-level while resampling to 16khz (use SSRC for optimal quality).
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

48kbps tuning.

Reply #2
Indeed i have not much experience in low-Q Ogg files or even in unstable stereo images, but if you only need a simple command-line, try this once:
oggenc -q 1.333 --resample 16000 -o output.ogg input.wav

For the target bandwidth of 48kbps the '-q' setting may be different depending on the source and on the encoder itself - I have used the 'aoTuV' Beta 2.
Of course you also can try the Shibatch sampling rate converter, perhaps the resulting quality of your Ogg files is really better than.

48kbps tuning.

Reply #3
Though regrettable,  I don't know the front end which can change the threshold of a stereo-related parameter.

I think that a setup of 384kbps is good.