Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: gaybar2000 (Read 15691 times) previous topic - next topic

gaybar2000

Reply #25
Well, after a very short (1.5s) of thinking, a "Francois Corbier" nickname and the Gaybar2000 name sounds a lot like Christophe things.
To know Corbier, you have to be french, and the Gaybar name sounds like KJofol for french peoples...

I will not comment regarding if this was meant to offend anyone or no, as I have clearly not enough information about this.

gaybar2000

Reply #27
About http://gaybar2000.org/ details:

% This is the RIPE Whois server.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% Rights restricted by copyright.
% See http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/pub-services/db/copyright.html

inetnum:      193.109.142.0 - 193.109.143.255
netname:      IPSYN
descr:        IPsyn networks
descr:        Internet Service Provider
remarks:      ****************************************
remarks:      For abuse request please mail abuse@ipsyn.net
remarks:      For peering request please mail peering@ipsyn.net
admin-c:      IP911-RIPE
tech-c:      IP911-RIPE
mnt-by:      IPSYN-MNT
mnt-by:      RIPE-NCC-HM-PI-MNT
mnt-lower:    RIPE-NCC-HM-PI-MNT
mnt-routes:  IPSYN-MNT
notify:      ripe@ipsyn.net
changed:      ripe@ipsyn.net 20020528
source:      RIPE

route:        193.109.142.0/23
descr:        IPsyn-NET
remarks:      For abuse request please mail abuse@ipsyn.net
remarks:      For peering request please mail peering@ipsyn.net
origin:      AS21247

role:        IPsyn Admins
address:      2 a 24 avenue Henri Barbusse , Centre ABC
address:      IPsyn / Net-bios
address:      93000 BOBIGNY,  FRANCE
phone:        +1 309 294 0032
fax-no:      +1 309 294 0032
e-mail:      support@ipsyn.net
trouble:      Information: http://www.ipsyn.net/
trouble:      Spam: mailto:abuse@ipsyn.net
remarks:      Peering: peering@ipsyn.net
admin-c:      NS18-RIPE
tech-c:      NS18-RIPE
nic-hdl:      IP911-RIPE
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

gaybar2000

Reply #28
That's just the hoster. You can DNS dig gaybar2000.org too, but it won't help because the contact info there is fake. It's really ipsyn.net's responsibility to deal with this.

gaybar2000

Reply #29
This is my, hopefully neutral, point of view on the issue.

The original foobar license was vauge. There is no argument about that, since it's recently been changed, and so that's effectively an admission of its vagueness. The question is whether the original license specified that parts of the player were not covered by it, and I don't believe it did. The only inkling that foo_input_std contained code which was covered by a seperate license from foobar itself is in the about box of the component itself, which is dubious [1].

On the other hand, gaybar2000.org is intended as parody, which in itself raises two major issues. Firstly, since the site is hosted in France and foobar is european too, is it actually covered by US law (I'd have thought not, but I don't really know)? Parody law tends not to be as strong in the EU (the concept of parody as an explicit exemption to copyright and trademark law is mainly a US invention), and if the parody is distributed beyond the US (which, as a web site, it obviously is), then you can be sued in a foreign court. This is significant, because it means that Peter or Ahead could technically sue gaybar2000 in a German court, under German law, which is significantly less lenient towards parodies [2].

Secondly, it's debatable whether it actually counts as parody at all, or whether it's libel, and hence is unprotected even in the US. This is for a judge to decide really, but I'll give you my take on it anyway. It's not actually funny or subtle, it didn't require any artistic creativity at all, and other than a quick find-and-replace, it's a direct copy.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts. Standard disclaimer applies: IANAL, I'm just interested in these things. This was mainly a thought experiment - I personally think the whole issue is stupid and should just be dropped.

[1]  Don't get me wrong here... the whole idea of EULAs is untested legally.
[2]  source

gaybar2000

Reply #30
seriously, being called gay is so old-hat that i'm surprised it offends anyone at all.  in fact, who would go to the effort of calling someone gay in the first place?  a 14 year old geek with no friends but a pile of programming books maybe?  who knows.

hehe.  replaygay.  that's actually really funny.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232369"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well I am gay, and I quite honestly find the whole thing to be a really pitiful attempt at an insult. (although they got the desired reaction)

gaybar2000

Reply #31
The original foobar license was vauge. There is no argument about that, since it's recently been changed, and so that's effectively an admission of its vagueness. The question is whether the original license specified that parts of the player were not covered by it, and I don't believe it did. The only inkling that foo_input_std contained code which was covered by a seperate license from foobar itself is in the about box of the component itself, which is dubious [1].
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232400"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So I notified the gaybar2000 people of that and gave them a fair chance to remove the code. I think rpop already posted their reaction to that ("I will remove it when monkeys come flying out my butt").

Menno

gaybar2000

Reply #32
On the other hand, gaybar2000.org is intended as parody, which in itself raises two major issues.

No it's not. If it was intented as parody, there woulnd't be these cover up tries and false personalities. Parody is not like that. The site is made purely to insult and to annoy.
Juha Laaksonheimo

gaybar2000

Reply #33
Legal issues aside, does anyone really care about this?  It was vaguely amusing for about 3 seconds after the mention of 'replaygay', and thats it.  It doesnt warrant a barrage of waffle.  Anyone actually offended by something like that needs their head examined.

gaybar2000

Reply #34
Legal issues aside, does anyone really care about this?  It was vaguely amusing for about 3 seconds after the mention of 'replaygay', and thats it.  It doesnt warrant a barrage of waffle.  Anyone actually offended by something like that needs their head examined.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232428"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not really offended, but when there starts to be news on other sites and posts on winamp&other forums which are only meant to use the site to insult Peter/HA/Foobar2000 it's not so funny to watch anymore.
And you don't have to care about the trolls spamming gaybar2000 on HA, but for admin/mod team it means more work.
What people really see in general and not just in this issue is just the public surface.
Juha Laaksonheimo

gaybar2000

Reply #35
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232428"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's exactly what I thought. The site isn't really worth even mentioning...

gaybar2000

Reply #36
So I notified the gaybar2000 people of that and gave them a fair chance to remove the code. I think rpop already posted their reaction to that ("I will remove it when monkeys come flying out my butt").
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232403"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you notify them legally, through a registered Cease and Desist letter?

gaybar2000

Reply #37
Notify who? Mr. Francois Corbier the singer?

We are dealing with the hoster now.

gaybar2000

Reply #38
I quite honestly find the whole thing to be a really pitiful attempt at an insult.

that's my point... it's quite pitiful indeed ("gay bar" is an awesome song though... far too loud with a replaygain of -11.24 dB, but it works for that CD somehow).

i'd be interested to find out who the perpetrator in this is... so i can point and LMFAO at them.

[edit]

@ mods:
this thread should be closed for now... possibly re-opened if there's some new developments in this pathetic story, but for now all that needs saying has really been said.

gaybar2000

Reply #39
Notify who? Mr. Francois Corbier the singer? [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232501"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hrm. I thought we were discussing here on the legal grounds, starting from russ' post.

On legal grounds, notifying someone through IRC or e-mail has 0 value. So, it's no use if Menno notified the site author or not.

gaybar2000

Reply #40
apart from insults, were their any other things being done, like posting source code of foobar? if not why is there discussion of GPL and Source code stuff....??

looks like i am a bit late on the news