Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wmp9 tag lookup function (Read 1442 times) previous topic - next topic

wmp9 tag lookup function

hey guys.  i am in the process of tagging a large collection using id3v2, and i'm trying to make use of online auto-tagging programs such as musicbrainz and musicmatch supertagging.  wmp9 has an option to "add missing media info" in the media library, and this caught my eye because it can be set up to "add only missing information."

this is important to me because i have some idiosyncratic preferences such as putting performer's last names first (ie "Dylan, Bob - The Hurricane") and most of the other automated taggers don't allow for this sort of customization.  i already have artist and title properly tagged for everything, so i am trying to find some sort of autotagger that will allow me to find album, year, and track number without overwriting my artist and title fields.

the wmp function only works under xp; i run 2000 at home and don't yet have xp, so i can't really test it out.  from the brief poking around i have been able to do on another computer, though, it is starting to look like that function will only work on full albums.

so, my questions are as follows:

1\  can i use the wmp9 metadata completion function on individual files, or does it have to be an entire album?
2\  does anybody know of another auto-tagging utility that will allow me to retain the artist/title tags that i currently have?

thanks.