Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Writing YEAR tags (Read 1770 times) previous topic - next topic

Writing YEAR tags

Hi! I have the following problem with the foobar tagging system. When I edit file tags of an MP3 file and add a custom tag called YEAR, update the file and then reload info, the stuff that I typed appears in the DATE tag and there is no YEAR tag.

I'm using the foobar2000 v0.7.7b and also the ID3v2 tag support v1.11. The problem always occurs when using the standard file info box or the special file info box v1.3.5b (even when there was already a DATE tag and I add YEAR tag - then the DATE tag has two entries afterwards). However, when I use the multiple files tagger from the special file info box, the YEAR tag persists.

Any ideas if this is deliberate? Thanks for your help!

Writing YEAR tags

Reply #1
This is a foo_id3v2 "feature." While YEAR will be written as the proper frame, the code tries to automatically produce both date and year fields from the contents of DATE. YEAR will not be pulled into the database unless its value cannot be found in DATE. I could make the load-time redundancy check optional, as well as the write-time year detection, which produces the redundant year frame.

Writing YEAR tags

Reply #2
This is a foo_id3v2 "feature." While YEAR will be written as the proper frame, the code tries to automatically produce both date and year fields from the contents of DATE. YEAR will not be pulled into the database unless its value cannot be found in DATE. I could make the load-time redundancy check optional, as well as the write-time year detection, which produces the redundant year frame.

Hi kode54 - as long as you know it's useful for something, I'm ok to live with this feature.  I was just surprised the first time i noticed this.

It has a funny effect on the playlist updating though - when you write a YEAR tag and your playlist format uses YEAR, you have to reload the file info (even after updating from within foobar) so that the correct string is shown.

Thanks for your insights though! :smile: