Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB2K vs EAC (Read 8205 times) previous topic - next topic

FB2K vs EAC

Reply #25
By the way, ataqueEG, I'm just going to check what the old "also use C2 for error recovery" does.
I thought that it declicked the wavs on C2 errors, but it is possible that it actually kept the first no C2 flagged reread out of 16 instead of the majority in 16.

FB2K vs EAC

Reply #26
i've bought a CD for nothing !
This CDS200.5.0.151 5.00.160 has too few C2 errors ! One or two bursts per track ! And the same amount of inconsistent errors.
I can't distinguish between the use of statistics or C2 to reread in EAC !
With 99 % of C2 errors and 1 % of inconsistent ones, I could have. But here, it's 50/50 

FB2K vs EAC

Reply #27
Why have later versions of EAC stopped you from being able to use C2 error correction?  I never understood cd's well enough to try testing my drives for it, but I have an LG 8160B, so I'm guessing it would do well like Cerebus's 8520.
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

FB2K vs EAC

Reply #28
What's the point of knowing that errors were produced when there's nothing you can do about it?

The point of knowing if errors occured is speed. I've got about 100 old CDRs. EAC tells me at once if the errors are unrecoverable. It takes 2 minutes (inserting, loading, making the directory, start ripping), and I know that I had better to borrow the original again, or to record the vinyl again. Without reporting errors, it takes one hour to realize (listening), and the time spent to to encode, sort, and backup the files, and rebuilt the playlist is lost.

When someone else needs a copy and comes home, I don't have the time to listen, EAC tells me if the copy I make are OK before he goes home, and I can try the Teac drive instead of the Memorex, or pass the CD into Skipdoctor.

EAC is not always the best at reading CDs (it is seldom the best reader, it seems), sometimes CDex or Feurio do a better job at reading the CD. I don't know if CDex reports errors properly with some drives, it has not been tested by someone else to my knowledge. Feurio only works with C2, so it has more limitations than EAC. Plextools only works with Plextor drives, so it's even more limited.
I've got three drives, plus a CD player, and a skipdoctor device.

For me error detection is crucial because there's a lot I can do before giving up a perfect copy and letting other programs try to read as good as they can.

All that makes perfect sense to me.

But it's a long way from the "use EAC to get perfect rips" advice.

Surely the correct advice is "use EAC so you know when the rip isn't perfect, and you can then try to do something about it"

?

Cheers,
David.