Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Motu Track16 vs RME Babyface vs Apogee Duet 2 (Read 11048 times) previous topic - next topic

Motu Track16 vs RME Babyface vs Apogee Duet 2

Hi guys,

I'm in the process to upgrade from my Mbox 2 Pro and am considering the Motu Track16, Apogee Duet 2 and RME Babyface (maybe even the Focusrite 18i6).

I'm trying to understand wich one of these has the best converters AD/DA and mic pres, but can't find the way.

I'd like to have as much analog outputs as possible, but 4 would probably be fine too.

I'd like to have more than 2 simultaneous inputs, but just to not be restricted in case I need to record more than one instrument at the time.
Although, realistically, I'll much probably record just one track at the time.

I want it to be portable and the price range I wanna stay in is around $500-550 max.

I have the feeling that the Motu Track16 is the one that gives me all I want, but I wanna be sure about the quality of the converters and pres.

Thank you very much for your precious inputs!

Reply #1
Find someone who has already run an  Audio Rightmark test on it.

BTW  worrying about converters among the products you're looking at will probably have no audible benefits.

Reply #2
There are many helpful and knowledgeable people on this site but it may well turn out that no single person here has in depth experience of all the devices you mention.

Furthermore the general culture and specific Terms of Service make it unlikely that anyone would venture an opinion as regards the quality of converters. Quite right too.

If that turns out to be the case you might try asking on Gearslutz

I've got a MOTU Ultralite. It's been fine but if I had my choice again I would have saved a bit longer and gone for the RME. Better software and customer support plus I admire the company culture. Anyway, Focusrite now seem to have stolen MOTU's role in providing RME facilities on a budget. Apogee is Mac only so I never considered them on the basis they must be overpiced.

What's wrong with the M-Box?

Reply #3
Thanks RonaldDumsfeld.

Nothing wrong with M-Audio, I had a Firewire 410 years ago, but in my research it looked like the Track16, Duet 2 and Babyface were the ones "less consumer" for that price range (although RME a bit too expensive for me at the moment).