Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC Players (Read 11273 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC Players

Hi !!,

When will portable AAC players come up ? Any thoughts ??

Cheers,
Rahul.

AAC Players

Reply #1
There are already a few solid state portables which support AAC, and apparently a few cd players which support AAC as well, and quite a few more coming down the line.  I had found a page the other day which listed quite a few of these devices, but I can't seem to find it now.  Maybe someone else knows of a few?  I believe I've heard the Rio Volt can play AAC now, and though I can't remember some of the other AAC cd players, I know the new Expanium's will be able to play AAC.

AAC Players

Reply #2
Id be very interested to know how many there are that can play raw ISO AAC files (rather than lqt etc).....

-Nic

AAC Players

Reply #3
I'd also be very interested in finiding out if the volt can play aac now. And if it can, which kind? ( liquid, SD audio, iso etc....). I'd love to start playing around with it on my volt !

AAC Players

Reply #4
None of the Rio Volt players have AAC support; they only support WMA and MP3.  I have both the Rio Volt SP100 and SP250, and I've definitely lobbied for them (with SonicBlue and iRiver, the actual designer of the Rio Volt products) to add AAC.  They seem to be sticking to their current format support for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, some future members of the Philips Expanium MP3CD lineup are expected to have AAC support.  Here's the official link:

http://www.audio.philips.com/list.asp?spec...ium+CD+portable

I hope the high end Philips MP3CD players don't turn out to be vaporware.  So far, I'm disappointed at the sound quality of the existing MP3CD players when I listen through my Etymotics ER-4P canalphones -- too much background hiss (I should note that other people seem quite happy with both Rio Volt models).  AAC support would be very nice too.

AAC Players

Reply #5
I was extremely dissapointed with the customer service of the philips people. I rushed out and bought the first expanium for $250 and it decided to stop working three weeks later. All Phillips gave me was a "Sorry about that, better luck next time!" WTF?
:confused:

AAC Players

Reply #6
Lets revive this thread shall we? 

We're at the end of 2004, so what's the picture now? Any ISO AAC compatible players besides iPod?

AAC Players

Reply #7
All PalmOS devices support RealAudio 10 AAC and Protected RA10, when running RealPlayer for PalmOS 1.5+.

Edit:  that should read all Palm OS 5 devices...

AAC Players

Reply #8
All PalmOS devices support RealAudio 10 AAC and Protected RA10, when running RealPlayer for PalmOS 1.5+.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, this version is only available in the U.S. And the older ones can't play any AAC. As stated on Real's [a href="http://www.real.com/realmobile/palmone.html]page[/url]:

"Not ready to sign-up? Outside the United States? Use a Macintosh or Linux? You can still get the previous version of the RealPlayer for Palm (does not support RealAudio 10, Treo 600 or Music Store)."

So, it is not a solution to every Palm user.

AAC Players

Reply #9
Kinoma 3EX supports AAC. Realplayer 1.6.1 is crap. Why does it only support palm one devices?! I have a tapwave zodiac and am probably going to purchase kinoma soon. Kinoma 2 came with my zodiac but 3ex seems much better.

http://www.kinoma.com/products.html?player3

AAC Players

Reply #10
The PSP supports it, as does the new walkman phone from Sony Ericsson. I think we'll see more non-iPod players supporting it this year as it begins to mature and the awareness is increased. (public demand is key, and that hasn't been very big in the past)

AAC Players

Reply #11
Most higher end Nokias do too.

AAC Players

Reply #12
The PSP supports it, as does the new walkman phone from Sony Ericsson. I think we'll see more non-iPod players supporting it this year as it begins to mature and the awareness is increased. (public demand is key, and that hasn't been very big in the past)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281575"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, if it is like their MP3-Support 
I want to see (hear) this first!!!

AAC Players

Reply #13
Lets revive this thread shall we?  

We're at the end of 2004, so what's the picture now? Any ISO AAC compatible players besides iPod?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261966"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's wrong with the iPod anyway ? Why does everybody loathe it so much ? Is is purely because of its apparent commercial success ?

I have archived my entire CD collection to AAC (and also some wavpack lossless) on my PC and am now looking for a portable player. I like the look of the iRiver, but it simply doesn't have AAC, and I don't want to transcode my files.

We have been waiting a long time for 'other' HDD AAC players to appear - but it doesn't seem to be happening real fast.

Can anybody provide actual reasons why the iPod is not a good option ?

Thanks.

AAC Players

Reply #14
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287670"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The most usual complaint seems to be lack of gapless support. Personally, I couldn't care less about gaps.

AAC Players

Reply #16

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287670"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For most people complaining about iPod:
- iPod is expensive, and for the same price you can obtain another player having much more options.
It was not totally unfounded at the beginning, but Apple improved the player with time: advanced format support (AAC then ALAC), extended battery life (from ~7 to ~16 hours), color LCD & photo support, extended hard disk capacity... The iPod is therefore more competitive and attractive, even for some advanced users (lossless and AAC support).

But I guess that most people have just a primitive 'rebel attitude' incompatible with the possession of an ultra-commercial player
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

AAC Players

Reply #17
But I guess that most people have just a primitive 'rebel attitude' incompatible with the possession of an ultra-commercial player
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287685"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

God, you are so right!

AAC Players

Reply #18
there´s already an expanium that can play AAC I think it´s the EXP310

AAC Players

Reply #19
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287685"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

God, you are so right!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287690"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this is the real reason - some people just don't want to be seen to be using a mainstream product 

It's kind of ironic that it wasn't so long ago that Apple were not doing so well, and were perceived as being more of an underdog.

Anyway - thanks for your responses all

AAC Players

Reply #20
Can anybody provide actual reasons why the iPod is not a good option ? [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Here are some reasons why some iPods might be good options
[a href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1778968,00.asp]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1778968,00.asp[/url]
http://home.comcast.net./~machrone/playertest/playertest.htm
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287683"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the link. However, I think the only thing he is testing here is the value of the coupling capacitor in each of the units. 

I guess the only solid conclusion to be drawn is that the iPod Shuffle apparently has a DC-coupled push-pull output stage. This is nice to know.

The thing is - I don't really intend to sit around listening to full-power 40hz square waves through headphones - I'm not a Techno fan 

Anyway - that was an interesting read. Thanks.

AAC Players

Reply #21
there´s already an expanium that can play AAC I think it´s the EXP310
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287695"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Philips dropped all AAC support ... there is not a single current Philips CD/HD-Player which can play AAC!

AAC Players

Reply #22
Waking up an old thread (again...) to point out a reason to use an iPod that wasn't available (the idea, not the 'pod) when the thread started - car audio.  I just put a Blaupunkt Monterrey into my truck, partially 'cause I can plug my iPod into it.  IMO, who needs a CD changer, when you can do this?  When I win the lottery, I'm gonna get a 20gig 'pod just for the truck.
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!