Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File Operations (Read 3301 times) previous topic - next topic

File Operations

I've searched around a lot of places, but haven't been able to solve this problem yet.

I'm using foobar's (awesome) file operations to finally organize my mp3 folders. I'm doing this with a simple %album artist% - %album%. However, %album artist% is being treated as %artist% so when it processes a compilation, foobar makes a folder for each track. Instead of getting a Various Artists - Compilation 1, foobar is making folders that look like:

Artist 1 - Compilation 1
Artist 2 - Compilation 1
Artist 2 - Compilation 1

All of my MP3s are properly tagged... that is, if a song is part of a compilation then definitely it's Album Artist tag will have 'Various Artists' as its value. Any idea how to make foobar recognize the Album Artist tag?

File Operations

Reply #1
Are you sure your "Various Artists" tag is stored in the ALBUM ARTIST field, and not ALBUMARTIST, BAND etc?

File Operations

Reply #2
Actually the "official" field for Album Artist is "albumartist", but just to make sure I've added an "album artist" tag as well and it's still not being recognized.

I can't be the only one with this problem can I? There must be someone out there that's making compilation folders successfully

File Operations

Reply #3
Many of us, I'm sure.

It may be worth you taking a look at the docs:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...album_artist.25

I can't help thinking that your attempt to switch to ALBUM ARTIST just went wrong.  Maybe you need to reload tags, or you made a spelling mistake.
I'm on a horse.

File Operations

Reply #4
Instead of putting %album artist% - %album% (assumign you mean this for folders) put Various (or w/e) - %album%

File Operations

Reply #5
Instead of putting %album artist% - %album% (assumign you mean this for folders) put Various (or w/e) - %album%

Oh dear.

File Operations

Reply #6
Hmm think I've found the cause of the problem. Musicbrainz and Winamp recognize the Album Artist tag... but foobar will only recognize it if the value has been assigned through foobar itself. Likewise, other programs don't recognize foobar's album artist value... it's supposed to be saved as ALBUM ARTIST, but it doesn't show up in Musicbrainz list of used fields o.O

Anyway, I think the easiest solution would be to use foobar to assign album artist values automatically by copying them from another field. Specifically, I would like foobar to copy whatever is found in the BAND field to the ALBUM ARTIST field to a large number of files at once. Am I asking for too much?

Many thanks!

Moth: that wouldn't work since I'm trying to create around 800 folders of both artist albums and compilations

File Operations

Reply #7
highlight all your files and then right click>properties. then right click "Album Artist" and select "Format from other fields". type in

%band%

(i think )

File Operations

Reply #8
This is probably due to foobar2000 storing ALBUM ARTIST in a custom frame, rather than the BAND (a standard field, but arguably misused), as the other programs do. These posts/threads may be informative: [1] [2]

Edit: Oops, I just noticed that you seem to have figured that out already!

File Operations

Reply #9
highlight all your files and then right click>properties. then right click "Album Artist" and select "Format from other fields". type in

%band%

(i think )

WIN!

Thanks guys, problem solved