Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cannot install input_sacd component (foobar 1.15.11 - Win XP) (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot install input_sacd component (foobar 1.15.11 - Win XP)

Hi, I want to play DSD files on my Windows XP computer. I installed foobar 1.15.11 as indicated for a Win XP computer (32 bits). Then I tried to install the "input_sacd-1.5.11" component from the "foo_input_sacd-1.5.11.rar" file but foobar crashes; I tried many times, it always crash. The computer's CPU is AMD Athlon 1000, <<<not XP>> I insist, there is no floating point unit on that processor. Maybe this is the problem. With "crash" I mean the GUI disappears. That computer is not connected to internet so I cannot use the online help/debug and I didn't find a way to make a search on foobar forum.
Thanks for any help.

Re: Cannot install input_sacd component (foobar 1.15.11 - Win XP)

Reply #4
Hi everybody, thanks for many useful replies. And that was fast !! Here is my (slow) follow-up.
(I know about new foobar 1.5.12 and SSE2 problems, I didn't have time to try this.)

I went to a 64bits computer to test foobar 1.5.11 and input_sacd component. OS is still WinXP 32bits.
In my initial message I wrote "foobar 1.15.11" it was a typo.
The processor is AMD Socket 754 3300+ single-core SSE2 support 64bits CPU. I installed foobar 1.5.11;
for the input_sacd component I took "foo_input_sacd-1.1.3" as it is WinXP compatible. And it works.
The 2 components in "foo_input_sacd-1.1.3" were installed without probems, no crash or whatever.
I played a .DSF file from a SACD, then I loaded a SACD .iso file, immediately the tracks appeared in the
playing list. Now I have to learn how to extract FLAC files from the .iso

I read the comments of users, here is some history info:
All AMD 32bits processors in the Athlon XP family have SSE, including el-cheapo Duron that was not
that cheap after all. Semprons came at the end of the 32bits era for AMD, I would say they were SSE.
Then maybe AMD desactivated the floating point unit in these Semprons, if so it would be their
1xxx th. marketing strategy flop. At the beginning of the 64bits era for AMD all processors were SSE2;
a 64bits Sempron appeared as SSE2 but the last iteration was SSE3 (I have some of these).

I will be 72 at the end of this month. I saw the beginning of personal computing, the first IBM XT
computer, I bought an Apple II+ in 1983 etc. What a ride it has been !!
Now I stop to write and I am going to test foobar 1.5.12.