Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Organizing Files with Foobar2000 (Read 18192 times) previous topic - next topic

Organizing Files with Foobar2000

I am looking for a plugin or method to automatically organize files into sub-folders based on tags. I understand that it's possible to move and rename files manually, but I'm looking for something which will pull information from the files and place them into folders based off of that information. Essentially I'm looking to mimic the features of iTunes' automatic library organizer, but since my library is in FLAC format, I can't use iTunes to organize it.

Reply #1
You can't really do it automatically. Try to make an autoplaylsit with a query to see whether it matches the desired pattern. For instance:
Code: [Select]
NOT "%path%" IS "D:\music\%artist%\%album%\%tracknumber%. %title%"

The script doesn't account for illegal characters/file extensions (Can't test, as I don't have Foobar here), but do you catch the general idea?

Reply #2
File operations

The component is included in the installer.

Run the foobar2000 setup again if you did not select it.

Reply #3
File operations

The component is included in the installer.

Run the foobar2000 setup again if you did not select it.

Except for the fact that this component can not create NEW folders. You need to create all the folders you want, so it can rename them - not that helpful, is it?!
Also the Masstagger componet was able to create new folders until it reached the version 1.7.
So, both are useless for REALLY getting the library organized.
I suggest the Masstagger version 1.6. Access the menu "Rename or Copy" through right-click, type some commands and tags, and voilà! You can even create and save custom file naming schemes.

Reply #4
Yes it can create new folders. Say you have an album on C:\ and want to move it to C:\artist\album\tracknumber - title.
Select C:\ as target folder and as naming scheme:
%artist%\%album%\%track% - %title%

Reply #5
That's right! How could I never see it that way? (Can I say it's not clear explained?!)
Really my mistake.
I just miss the "delete files" action.
Thanks for pointing the truth.

Reply #6
Yes it can create new folders. Say you have an album on C:\ and want to move it to C:\artist\album\tracknumber - title.
Select C:\ as target folder and as naming scheme:
%artist%\%album%\%track% - %title%

Ok, thanks for the help. Was slightly confused by the file operations tool, but this helped clear it up for me.

Reply #7
Sorry, kinda random question here- Has anyone had any luck with the

NOT "%path%" IS "D:\music\%artist%\%album%\%tracknumber%. %title%"

search query? Haven't been able to get it working 

Thanks for any help! 

Reply #8
%path% doesn't work with variables. What are you trying to archieve anyway?

Reply #9

Yeah, that's what I was thinking- I'm trying to find a way to find files which are "out of order", and that was suggested earlier.

Reply #10

Yeah, that's what I was thinking- I'm trying to find a way to find files which are "out of order", and that was suggested earlier.

You could just select all the music files in your media library and then do the file operation on them so none of them would be "out of order."  If that is your end goal that is.

Reply #11
^ Exactly.

File operations is perfectly able to determine which files need to be moved or renamed on its own.

Its preview will only show files that are out of order.

Reply #12
One thing I don't think has been answered, is it possible, or could it be possible in the future, for File Ops to *automatically* move/rename your files based on their tags? Say if I change a track's album tag, the file could be moved to the relevant folder automatically, without having to run File Ops. It would make sense to have it now that we have an auto-updating media library- we have a library that updates when we change a file, so why not have files that update when we change their tags? You'd just need to define a path for all your music, and foobar would look after it all. It would be ace!

It would probably have to be optional- otherwise someone might go to rename a file only to have foobar change the name back, which would be confusing as hell! And you might have to define a path for files to go to within your library path(s), otherwise they'd be outside the library and they wouldn't show up any more... I think it would be really cool though.

Reply #13
That looks great, but there's bound to be drawbacks. (For now,) How about an autoplaylist query to compare paths and metadata?

Reply #14
^ The only way i can think of is to use "Automatically fill values" on all tracks with %path% as source, write test tags for artist, album etc and compare to actual file tags.

Open properties for all items in your libary>automatically fill values>source: %path%
If your music is, or rather -should- be stored in C:\artist\album\tracknumber title.mp3 use the pattern:
%%\%album artist test%\%album test%\%tracknumber test% %title test%.%%

Adjust to your pattern.

Then create new playlist columns to compare the values you got from %path% with the values from tags eg:
$if($strcmp(%title%,%title test%),OK,not OK)

Reply #15
Sorry for the late reply :S

Cheers for that Nemesis, Frank and smkk, seems kinda obvious now lol  Thanks

@ TomBarlow- +1 for that feature  Would be great