Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "-m s" or "-m j" for -b 256? (Read 3476 times) previous topic - next topic

"-m s" or "-m j" for -b 256?

I'm ripping to L.A.M.E. MP3 version 3.97 at CBR 256 (go figure, LoL), and would like to hear opinions as to whether to stick to using the default joint-stereo set by the encoder or can I go further using "-m s" in this case? I think that since it's a constant bitrate parameter and is a high value, maybe there would be no implications in changing stereo settings a little bit. Although what worries me is noticing that even using -b 320 the encoder won't make use of -m s for its encodings (now is this normal?).

Another question that I'd like to make is, now here how "freaky" it is to encode in MP3 at -b 256 nowadays you think?

Reply #1
You should use the recommended LAME settings.

Reply #3
There are a gazillion threads here explaing why joint stereo should always be used and why it gives better quality than simple stereo at all bitrates. Use the search function.