Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Play pink noise. Is it neccessary? (Read 4693 times) previous topic - next topic

Play pink noise. Is it neccessary?

Is it necessary to play pink noise for some hours for new loud speaker? My friend said that it should be done to make the speaker cone more flexible and produces better sound.

Reply #1
well, it's kinda controversial in nature. It's got to be product specific what do to with new equipment; material etc. playing a roll in the so called 'burn-in' procedure.
Some monitors however are recommended to be run in a lower-than-average level with noise (pink) for a time before you start using them normally.

Reply #2
The rubber surround will change its characteristics after some hours of movement. If this is audible - I don't know  you will have to check this yourself.
I did not hear a difference before and after with my KEF (now 20 years old) and IMF (now 10 years old) speakers

If you do a burn-in it is good to place the speakers face to face with a few centimeters distance and attach them counter-phase to your amplifier. So the noise will be significantly reduced.

Reply #3
There were tests results posted about this here, some monthes ago. The measurments showed that the burn-in lasted no more than one or two seconds, and that the speaker turned back to its initial stiffness as soon as the playback ends (perform a search on the forum). IIRC, it was said to be confirmed by listening tests, but I can't imagine how they could perform such a test.

Reply #4
What is pink noise?
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #5
Pink noise is noise has equal energy per octave, as opposed to white noise, in which all frequencies have equal energy.

Reply #6
Pink noise is noise has equal energy per octave, as opposed to white noise, in which all frequencies have equal energy.

To put it another way... white noise sounds like hissing steam, pink noise sounds something like a waterfall.

Reply #7
Anyone seen a pink noise generator for the pc. I've searched but to no avail.
r3mix zealot.

Reply #8
Anyone seen a pink noise generator for the pc. I've searched but to no avail.

Cool Edit (Pro?) can generate pink noise... it's in the menu options (Generate/Noise)

Reply #9
I used a programme called NCH Tone Generator. It does the job and was free as a trial I think.

Whether it made a difference or not is harder to judge. Its not something you can abx if you only have one pair of the speakers.

I believe it did make a difference on my B&W 602's. I fed them pink noise for about 4 hours a day for a few days at a fairly loud level. There was a lot of excursion visible on the mid/bass unit.

The sound became more open and less forward in the midrange, and the upper bass frequencies became more present somehow.

Fact or audiophile bullshit, you be the judge.

Just as an afterthought, how hard would it be to settle this? Hi-fi choice and What-Hifi are testing stuff steady. You could a/b biwiring too, as well as the burn-in theory.

Reply #10
Well, this is one of those "lots of people say makes a difference"  kinds of things.

Usually,  it's meant for a piece of equipment that is brand new,  not needed for something that has been in use
for a long time.  (though if it hasn't been used for years it might help again?)

Idea being,  a speaker cone and suspension will be sort of stiff,  and after working will "loosen up" and sound more
like it's supposed to.

That sort of makes sense..  though I have no idea how many need it or don't need it out of the box.

Electronics are more questionable,  though some parts (like electrolytic caps) will change and then stabilize,  after
power is applied for a while.

Possibly makes a difference,  can't hurt,  unless you drive your neighbor crazy with 5 days of waterfall noise while you're
away on vacation..  ;-)

Jon

PS,  if you don't want to use some software,  there should be little noise circuits out there someplace..  amplify diode junction
noise for white noise source,  filter it to get the pink function,  amp it up to line level,  and there you go.. 
Shouldn't be more than $10-20 of parts.

Of course just playing regular music thru the things works too...

Reply #11
Pink noise is an equalized white noise, with -3 db per octave, thus with much bass and little treble.

A speaker shop recommended using a low sine (20 Hz ? 50 Hz ? don't remember...) inverted between the speakers, and the speakers in front of each other, in order to to make noise.

Reply #12
Would this sine use high frequency speakers? I guess not...
You ought to do it with ALL parts of speaker, not only low frequency ones...
I'd recommend white noise inverted on one channel, speakers set very close,
even on max volume this shouldn't be too loud...

Something for guys that don't have Cool Edit... (48kHz 16bit up to -1dB, 1MB)
http://www.bedeox.devisland.net/WarmUp.flac

DO NOT play it through foobar2000... it adds dither and hence changes characteristics of this noise.
I've changed only because of myself.
Remember, when you quote me, you're quoting AstralStorm.
(read: this account is dead)

Reply #13
Thanks Bedeox. The nch tone generator worked perfectly as well.
r3mix zealot.