Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD "Write Accurate Bitrate Information" option (Read 5264 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD "Write Accurate Bitrate Information" option

I use XLD to rip CDs, and I've recently switched from encoding with LAME to the QuickTime AAC codec.

I'm hoping someone here will have some information on what the "Write Accurate Bitrate Information" option does, and whether it's recommended to enable or disable it. I've searched all over and can't find an explanation anywhere.

I've ripped a track both with it enabled and disabled, and it seems to produce the same output (iTunes reports the same bitrate for the resulting AAC file). Is it a compatibility issue - i.e. do some audio players/iPods/iPhones not like it when the option is enabled?

Thanks for any help!

Reply #1
That option allows to write the accurate bitrate of the AAC encoded file. For instance do a Contrained VBR 256 kbps AAC with that setting off and move the file to iTunes, the bitrate will be "256 (VBR)", if you let it write the accurate bitrate it'll be the true value -> "285 Kbps (VBR)" for example! For true vbr as far as I've tested it doesn't make a difference, true vbr result is what appears anyway.

Reply #2
If I remember correctly, the AAC ""Write Accurate Bitrate Information" option in XLD adds metadata to the file that allows other, non-iTune players to correctly display the constantly changing VBR bit rate as the file plays. I'd suggest you leave the option enabled. (I believe that it is on by default in XLD, isn't it? It's been a while since I have looked.) It can't hurt anything to do so, and it is a potentially useful feature you may want to make use of in the future if you use another player that can display this information, or if some future build of iTunes sports a display output catches up to decade-old technology.

EDIT: For those old enough to remember the days before iTunes existed, wasn't Audion able to display the constantly changing bit rate as the file played? Big deal, but, well, it could.

Reply #3
Yes, Audion was able to display the constantly changing bit rate. You can still run the latest version on OS X

Reply #4
Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it. I'm using True VBR so I suppose it doesn't make a difference, but based on the above have enabled the option in case I switch to e.g. constrained VBR in the future.