Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC@256k LC or 256k HE? (Read 4861 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC@256k LC or 256k HE?

hi, guys

i just bought a large harddrive and want to rip all my CDs to aac files

someone suggested me rip them at 256K LC

but after i saw some passages on the net

i found HE maybe better than LC

so what should i do?

huge thanks!!!

=================================

ps  i know HE is usually used for low birate

but at 256k, is HE better, no worse or worse than LC ?

AAC@256k LC or 256k HE?

Reply #1
HE is usually used for <64kbps, while LC is for higher bitrates.  HE doesn't include a lot of the higher frequencies so you probably wouldn't want to use it at high bitrate.

AAC@256k LC or 256k HE?

Reply #2
HE is usually used for <64kbps, while LC is for higher bitrates.  HE doesn't include a lot of the higher frequencies so you probably wouldn't want to use it at high bitrate.

thanks

and also i have some mp3 at VBR(160-250) which i intend to convert to aac

should i choose 128k LC or 128k HE or ELSE ?

thanks

AAC@256k LC or 256k HE?

Reply #3
hi colinhf,

at 128 kbps, LC is recommended. As saratoga wrote it before, HE is for low bitrates.

Why do you want to convert from mp3 to aac? mp3 is usually the most compatible lossy audio format. Plus you won't gain quality, but you surely will lose audio quality of your songs.
If you want to save space by converting, try VBR at around 96 kbps (LC).

greetings
FB2K,APE&LAME

AAC@256k LC or 256k HE?

Reply #4
Why do you want to convert from mp3 to aac? mp3 is usually the most compatible lossy audio format. Plus you won't gain quality, but you surely will lose audio quality of your songs.
If you want to save space by converting, try VBR at around 96 kbps (LC).

maybe it sounds weird

i 'm doing this because i want every song from  a single album has the same birate, different birates upset me everytime

also i have lots of mp3, wma, ogg files? i think since i have an ipod, it's better convert them all to aac

third, if the quality loss is not that much, i prefer small size. so i can put more songs in my ipod. 

thanks again, memomai 

AAC@256k LC or 256k HE?

Reply #5
Since you have a large hard drive as you say why don't you just rip your cds to Apple Lossless and then use 256 kbps AAC for iPod?

AAC@256k LC or 256k HE?

Reply #6
Again as said above converting mp3, wma, ogg, etc to aac is not a very good idea and yet you want to convert them to save space to fit more onto your ipod.

I might have a work around though.  If you are using the latest version of iTunes, there should be a feature to convert your music files to 128kbps AAC as the files are synced onto your ipod.  This would mean that you could rip music onto your new hard drive in high quality ~256kbps VBR AAC files and then set iTunes to convert your songs automatically to a lower bitrate when synced, allowing you to fit more songs onto your ipod.  I do this with my 16GB iphone and all though it makes syncing really slow especially at first, it allowes me to fit a lot more songs on.

AAC@256k LC or 256k HE?

Reply #7
Since you have a large hard drive as you say why don't you just rip your cds to Apple Lossless and then use 256 kbps AAC for iPod?

first, i have a large collection of CDs (about 1200 copies i guess  )

second, since my ears are not that sensitive, i guess i can get on well with lossy format. (actually i used to use Zune, and convert CD to 256k wma files. and i'm sure aac at that birate will be better)