Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TDK reflex X or Verbatim Super Azo ? (Read 3827 times) previous topic - next topic

TDK reflex X or Verbatim Super Azo ?

Tomorrow, i'm going to my favorite store to buy some cd-r. I don't know which ones i'd better got because i just finished my Metal Azo superstock. I've heard about Verbatim Super Azo and TDK Reflex X.

Which brand is better ?

Thanx

p.s : i've seen that Verbatim Super Azo are sold with some very tiny coloured slim box. I love it but those box are Crystal box : is it bad (because of the light that can reach the cd when it's stored) ?

Reply #1
48x, 700MB Verbatim DataLife Plus (SuperAzo) have been great in my experience.  That being said, I really think the burner used plays a role in giving a quality burn, so my experience may not necessarily mirror yours. 

As for the jewel case, you're right, clear is less desirable due to light exposure.  If you're cafeful, though, I don't think it's a big deal.  You could always buy a spindle of discs and jewel cases of your choice seperately.

Reply #2
i heard about both of these brands, but i never tried them. personally i recommend taiyo yuden CDRs (i.e. made in japan fujifilm), or kodak gold + silver if you can get them (kodak stopped manufacturing CD media)
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #3
None of the above.

Taiyo Yuden or Mitsui, can't go wrong.

David

Reply #4
Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden certainly have a good reputation.  I've never actually used either, though.  Out of curiosity, have you run any through CDSpeed's error checking?  I've been testing out any discs I have around and was surprised to find most of them had errors.  It doesn't necessarily mean the data is hosed, but it certainly isn't a good thing.  Thus far only the Verbatims I mentioned have never had an error.

Reply #5
It surely is a bit hardware dependent, but from my experience I can only advise Kodak Gold Optima (if you only can get yet), TDK Reflex X, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim SuperAzo and Acer Gold (from Ritek) 

Reply #6
I had a few mitsui's that went through alot..  very scratched, and dirty, and a couple of years old.  all but one (out of ten) ripped fine.  And they were data disks, not audio, so every bit had to be perfect in order to rip.  Very impressive  I had some Maxell gold discs, and a bunch of Gigastorage burnt the same year, and had about a 50% failure rate in comparison.  Advice: if you are in Canada, resist the temptation to buy a spindle of Gigastorage or Cursor (same thing) disks at Future Shop whenever they put them on sale.  They are the definition of low quality.

These days, which brand name is mitsui sold under?  My old mitsui's were just silver-tops my brother bought in bulk, but I'd love to get more if possible.

Reply #7
Tomorrow, i'm going to my favorite store to buy some cd-r. I don't know which ones i'd better got because i just finished my Metal Azo superstock. I've heard about Verbatim Super Azo and TDK Reflex X.

Which brand is better ?

Thanx

p.s : i've seen that Verbatim Super Azo are sold with some very tiny coloured slim box. I love it but those box are Crystal box : is it bad (because of the light that can reach the cd when it's stored) ?

Both Verbatim and TDK have disk series made by Tayo Yuden
Most CD-r manufacturers (incl/ TDK) change CD-r producer every now and then.
I have been using the TDK Reflex Ultra 24speed (Tayo Yuden), but 48speed might be a totally different producer/quality.

have a look here

Cheers

Reply #8
And they were data disks, not audio, so every bit had to be perfect in order to rip. 

These days, which brand name is mitsui sold under? 

On the opposite, data discs are far more easy to rip than audio, even scratched. They have an additional layer of error correction, that keeps the rip perfect eve when uncorrectable C2 errors appear. So a good performance from data CDs is not surprising.

Mitsuis were sold under Teac. There were some HP (but HP can also be Ricoh, or Tayo Yuden), and Philips Silver Premium (but they are sometimes Tayo Yuden) also, but Mitsui is mostly sold under... Mitsui : http://www.mam-e.com/