Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping programs and CloneCD VirtualDrive (Read 12003 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping programs and CloneCD VirtualDrive

While upgrading my CloneCD to the latest version, I saw that the newest version includes a VirtualDrive program.  It creates a fake drive in which you can mount CloneCD images and use them as if they were an actual CD-ROM drive.  I made an image of an audio CD and used the VirtualDrive to rip from the image in EAC.  Using Accurate Stream with test & copy it took me about 5 minutes for the full length CD!!!  Now granted, I do have a fast hard drive, Western Digital 8mb cache, but it should still be faster for most people than actually ripping from the CD.
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

Reply #1
I don't see the point. EAC makes rips secure by lowering speed and reading the same position several times. The virtual drive doesn't contain information about the output of the real drive + original cd with different extraction speeds. Besides this your method might help to extract audio from copy protected CDs - but why not extract from the .ccd image directly using CDMage for example?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #2
While upgrading my CloneCD to the latest version, I saw that the newest version includes a VirtualDrive program.  It creates a fake drive in which you can mount CloneCD images and use them as if they were an actual CD-ROM drive.  I made an image of an audio CD and used the VirtualDrive to rip from the image in EAC.  Using Accurate Stream with test & copy it took me about 5 minutes for the full length CD!!!  Now granted, I do have a fast hard drive, Western Digital 8mb cache, but it should still be faster for most people than actually ripping from the CD.

Just wanted to say that using your method, the "test & copy" is completely useless, because the reading process from virtual drive is deterministic (ie: identical result each time).

By the way, I don't think you really get more secure audio extraction than EAC burst mode, here.

Cheers

EDIT:  Depending on how exactly CloneCD reads the cd, it might be possible to get perfect results even with scratched cd's - though not as secure as regular EAC w/ test&copy...  in all cases this would need investigation :-)

Reply #3
Um...  Yeah, it works, but what good will it do?

The point of using EAC is mostly accurate ripping, since correctly ripping an audio CD is complicated. With your method, CloneCD will have to do the audio extraction which will be less secure than what EAC offers. When CloneCD emulates the drive and the medium it contains, it does so in a perfect manner. i.e. you tell the drive "read sector 23" and it will give you exactly what is present in the image each and every time. The virtual drive doesn't have to battle with exact positioning of the laser or scratches on the CD. And why test&copy? Basically you are reading a file from your HDD, presented in a way that it seems to be coming from a CD-Rom. Do you expect that file to change over time?

This method may be usefull to rip copy protected CDs but the weak link is the insecure audio extraction of CloneCD.

Reply #4
Gecko:  Do you know at what level does EAC read the audio data ? I mean, as long as the subchannel is included in the image, it should be easy to detect any positioning errors during RAW extraction, am I wrong ?

In other words: ultimately, if it were possible to request the RAW ANALOG LASER DIODE INPUT data from the drive, we could rip accurately in a single pass, always, couldn't we 
Then, all filtering of the analog data would be performed by the CPU.. 

Well that's utopia I know, since we can't access the analog or even "below-C1" level...  But still, the lower level of CloneCD extraction, the better...

My question is, what does RAW reading exactly mean ? The whole subchannel data (including positionning info !!) should be returned by the drive, shouldn't it ? In that case, with proper processing of the CloneCD image, there should be no need to read the source CD twice (unless we find jitter or unrecoverable errors) B)

EDIT: clearer answer.

Reply #5
CloneCD can make perfect 1:1 copies of any cd, given you have a capable burner, which I do (Lite-On).  I keep all my music in the best condition possible, so I am not worried of any scratches.  So what I do is create a CloneCD image which is a perfect 1:1 copy, and that is a fast process, only a few minutes.  And then I rip from the image in EAC which is also very fast.  I only used test & copy in the aforementioned case only to prove the speed of the whole process.  If I have a perfect 1:1 image of a CD on my fast hard drive, why not rip from that instead of a CD?  I have yet to hear anything wrong with any of the encodes I've done.

EDIT: all subchannel info, cd-text, etc. is included in these images

Reply #6
I keep all my music in the best condition possible, so I am not worried of any scratches. ... I have yet to hear anything wrong with any of the encodes I've done.

If this is enough for you, why don't you use eac burst mode or other (fast) audio extraction software?

IMO the reason to use eac secure test & copy is to have objective 99.99% security that there are no errors (at least on CDs without copy protection) and you won't get that with CloneCD (see previous posts).
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #7
Numlock: I don't.  But since EAC can use C2 error information which is stored in the subchannel data... I also don't know the difference between the individual DAE quality settings in CloneCD.

However I think that absolute raw reading won't overcome problems like correct positioning of the laser, dust or scratches. Audio CDs weren't designed to allow accurate seeking and accurate reading (i.e. error detection/correction) so having all the subchannel data won't help, since it is not sufficient to determine the correctness of a rip.

bman1: CloneCD can NOT make perfect copies of audio CDs because of the aforementioned weaknesses of audio CDs. Don't you think someone would allready have implemented raw audio extraction, if it gave perfect results? Why would EAC, cdparanoi etc. make such a fuss about circumventing the cache and reading each sector twice, if it were that easy? I imagine direct raw extraction to be quite simple (if the drive supports it). The reason why none of your rips sound bad is probably because your CDs are in good condition, and your drive has solid audio extraction capabilities.

Reply #8
Numlock: I don't.  But since EAC can use C2 error information which is stored in the subchannel data... I also don't know the difference between the individual DAE quality settings in CloneCD.

However I think that absolute raw reading won't overcome problems like correct positioning of the laser, dust or scratches. Audio CDs weren't designed to allow accurate seeking and accurate reading (i.e. error detection/correction) so having all the subchannel data won't help, since it is not sufficient to determine the correctness of a rip.

As a matter of fact, you're certainly right. The subchannel info does NOT contain enough info 

Would have been too beautiful... 

Reply #9
The images contain are perfect copies containing all subchannel info, cd-text, etc.  And EAC treats it just like any normal CD-ROM drive, it slows down extraction if need be, performs error correction where needed, detects gaps, etc.  I have not noticed anything that would leave me to believe this method is inferior to ripping from the CD in EAC.  This way is just much faster for me.  EAC treats it like a real CD, that's why I trust EAC's extraction over something like CDMage.  Who knows, maybe this all is a big waste of time , it's just something I'm fooling with right now.

Reply #10
@Gecko:  would perfect CD copies be possible at all then?

CloneCD has worked marvelously for any CD's I copy.  It has copied many game CD's that many other burners can't.

Reply #11
The images contain are perfect copies containing all subchannel info, cd-text, etc.  And EAC treats it just like any normal CD-ROM drive, it slows down extraction if need be, performs error correction where needed, detects gaps, etc.  I have not noticed anything that would leave me to believe this method is inferior to ripping from the CD in EAC.  This way is just much faster for me.  EAC treats it like a real CD, that's why I trust EAC's extraction over something like CDMage.  Who knows, maybe this all is a big waste of time , it's just something I'm fooling with right now.

The mounted image (ie: Virtual CD) behaving exactly like an original CD, can be true ONLY if the cd isn't scratched. This is because during extraction, CloneCD CANNOT "see" the EFM and C1 error correction layers. Thus the drive corrects most errors by itself, before CloneCD even gets its hands on the data !

So, your image contents has already been processed (and possible corrected) by the original drive's C1 layer. There's nothing we can do about it.

Reply #12
I also don't know the difference between the individual DAE quality settings in CloneCD.

I don't know either..

EAC treats it like a real CD, that's why I trust EAC's extraction over something like CDMage.

I agree completely with this. But that doesn't mean it's as secure as extracting from a physical CD.

For example, if two 1352-byte sectors get inverted because of the drive's firmware...  the inversion will be present in the CloneCD image, and upon extraction with EAC, all C2 info should match, so the resulting WAV file would be wrong.

In secure mode, with the original CD this error would be detected immediately.

Otherwise, I admit that if a cdrom drive with decent firmware AND correct clonecd settings (ie: no correction by clonecd) are used, however, then your idea might work.

EDIT: Also, in case you enable "c2 detection" in EAC, you'd have to TRUST Virtual CD - because it will be doing C2 error detection for you. If the C2 errors aren't reported by Virtual CD, you're screwed (ie: EAC will read the same WRONG result from the image, each time it tries).

EDIT2:  Gecko - If I understand it right, when DISABLING "c2 error detection by drive" in EAC, it performs the verification in software ?  That should be reliable, then

Reply #13
I have not noticed anything that would leave me to believe this method is inferior to ripping from the CD in EAC.

You could do Pio2001's test he mentioned in this thread to find out if there are differences between EAC extracting from a real drive, EAC extracting from a virtual CloneCD drive and CDMage extracting from .ccd image.

If you are insterested, you can try to detect the error correction and error concealment abilities of your drives following my method : http://pageperso.aol.fr/lyonpio2001/dae/dae.htm
It's not finished yet, but it can be useful here.
The way to detect the error correction strategy is explained in appendix 2. You don't need to understand all the calculus. All you need is understanding how to run Andre Wiethoff's DAEquality package, and download the calculated patterns at the end of part 3.3 of the appendix 2 of my page.

Reply #14
You could do Pio2001's test he mentioned in this thread to find out if there are differences between EAC extracting from a real drive, EAC extracting from a virtual CloneCD drive and CDMage extracting from .ccd image.

bman1, if you do this test, please describe the CloneCD settings used
This might be interesting to do with Alcohol 120% as well (it includes a cd emulator that supports CloneCD images as input). Maybe we could even try to make the image using A.120%.

Reply #15
@Gecko:  would perfect CD copies be possible at all then?

The emphasis lies on audio CDs. Afaik it is not possible to create a rip and be 100% sure that it is correct. You can just tell with a certain propability that it might be correct. This propability is comparably low if you just rip in burst mode. The various tricks used by clever extraction software such as EAC try to raise the probabilty of a correct rip.

Data CDs have extra error detection layers to determine if the byte you just read is correct. The chance of not noticing an incorrect read are extremely unlikely.

When you extract from the virtual CD with EAC not only do you have to trust EAC, you also have to trust CloneCD's ripping, and the correct funtionality of your virtual drive. Using CDMage is the more direct method since you are circumventing the virtual drive which wraps up your image file to make it look like a CD again. My personal experience with virtual CD software shows that it is not easy to correctly emulate a CD drive. All that CDMage has to do, is copy the desired data out of the image file into a new file. You don't have to do any additional processing to ensure that the read data is actually the same data as in the image file. The difficult part of the extraction (actually getting the data from CD) was allready done by CloneCD.

Reply #16
I will do all the testing tonight when I get home and report back here.  And btw, CloneCD really doesn't have any settings, just tell it what kind of cd, Audio, Data, Multimedia Audio, etc. thats it.

Reply #17
The emphasis lies on audio CDs. Afaik it is not possible to create a rip and be 100% sure that it is correct. You can just tell with a certain propability that it might be correct. This propability is comparably low if you just rip in burst mode. The various tricks used by clever extraction software such as EAC try to raise the probabilty of a correct rip.

Yes.

Data CDs have extra error detection layers to determine if the byte you just read is correct. The chance of not noticing an incorrect read are extremely unlikely.

Exactly.

The difficult part of the extraction (actually getting the data from CD) was allready done by CloneCD.

No no, I think, on the opposite, the goal is to prevent CloneCD for interpreting the raw data in any way (I don't think that's the default behaviour in the audio profile). Then, we'd only have to trust Virtual CD about returning the data at the correct offset (which I think we can assume), then it's up to EAC, really, to ensure that all ECC info (ie: C2) matches, and that the data is correct.

The problem I see, is if the drive is NOT "accurate stream". In that case, since the audio is already ripped, it would be too late for EAC to fix/detect the problem.

Reply #18
I will do all the testing tonight when I get home and report back here.  And btw, CloneCD really doesn't have any settings, just tell it what kind of cd, Audio, Data, Multimedia Audio, etc. thats it.

If you don't want ANY C2 error correction on audio, I think (but not sure atm) that you can either use the DATA profile, or customize the AUDIO profile for that matter.

Reply #19
EDIT: Also, in case you enable "c2 detection" in EAC, you'd have to TRUST Virtual CD - because it will be doing C2 error detection for you. If the C2 errors aren't reported by Virtual CD, you're screwed (ie: EAC will read the same WRONG result from the image, each time it tries).

EDIT2:  Gecko - If I understand it right, when DISABLING "c2 error detection by drive" in EAC, it performs the verification in software ?  That should be reliable, then

AFAIK "use c2 error correction" in EAC works like this: normally EAC would read each sector twice and compare if the result is the same. If you use c2 error correction it only reads the sector once + the c2 information, which is used to determine, if the sector was read correctly. This is problematic in two ways: most drives don't return correct c2 information and even if they do, the chance that the data matches the c2 info but is actually wrong isn't so small as to rely on it.

Using EAC with Virtual CD software does have some benefits though: CDDB support and offset correction, allthough I don't know if CloneCD is "offset free".

Reply #20
No no, I think, on the opposite, the goal is to prevent CloneCD for interpreting the raw data in any way (I don't think that's the default behaviour in the audio profile). Then, we'd only have to trust Virtual CD about returning the data at the correct offset (which I think we can assume), then it's up to EAC, really, to ensure that all ECC info (ie: C2) matches, and that the data is correct.

The problem I see, is if the drive is NOT "accurate stream". In that case, since the audio is already ripped, it would be too late for EAC to fix/detect the problem.

Reading in raw mode prevents the drive from doing it's own error correction so you can copy CDs with intentionally false error correction code. I think the question is: is there such a thing as non raw audio extraction? I think that what we call "digital audio extraction" is allready reading in the rawest mode possible, but this is beyond my knowledge.

That could also be the reason why some copy protection schemes work. Some samples are intentionally false and give a buzzing sound when extracted digitally, while your CD player just smooths them out due to error correction. (But then how come some drives can correctly extract these types of CDs?)

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Gee, this thread grows fast.[/span]

Reply #21

EDIT2:  Gecko - If I understand it right, when DISABLING "c2 error detection by drive" in EAC, it performs the verification in software ?  That should be reliable, then

AFAIK "use c2 error correction" in EAC works like this: normally EAC would read each sector twice and compare if the result is the same. If you use c2 error correction it only reads the sector once + the c2 information, which is used to determine, if the sector was read correctly. This is problematic in two ways: most drives don't return correct c2 information and even if they do, the chance that the data matches the c2 info but is actually wrong isn't so small as to rely on it.

Using EAC with Virtual CD software does have some benefits though: CDDB support and offset correction, allthough I don't know if CloneCD is "offset free".

Gecko, I don't understand a few things.

I'll try to keep it VERY simple:  In secure mode, EAC wants to get correct audio data from the drive.

There are three methods I can see to achieve this:
1 - EAC requests the AUDIO data several times (and checks if the result stays the same or not)
2 - EAC requests the AUDIO data, and the error status "flag" from the drive. If the info bit indicates an error, the read operation is re-tried.
3 - EAC requests a RAW 1352-byte sector (including AUDIO + C2 ECC info), then check everything by itself.

Could you please tell me which one of those three methods, does NOT exist in EAC ?

More precisely, when ENABLING "drive capable of c2 error correction reporting", which method is used ?  "2" or "3" ?

It seems to me that, in all cases, "method 3" would be PERFECT for use with a virtual drive.

By the way: I don't think there's a chance of C2 missing a single error !  I mean, by using a simple 32-bit CRC, the probability is already 1/4,000,000  !  With 128 bits, it just CANNOT happen (that's why cryptography is possible btw). So what about the hundreds of bits of C2 ECC ?

Thanks.

Reply #22
Reading in raw mode prevents the drive from doing it's own error correction so you can copy CDs with intentionally false error correction code. I think the question is: is there such a thing as non raw audio extraction? I think that what we call "digital audio extraction" is allready reading in the rawest mode possible, but this is beyond my knowledge.

That's what I think too. If we're right here, the "clonecd image" method could give great results imho (as long as CloneCD's DAE function doesn't mess with the audio data !!). There is probably a setting to disable all error correction (for audio) in clonecd.

That could also be the reason why some copy protection schemes work. Some samples are intentionally false and give a buzzing sound when extracted digitally, while your CD player just smooths them out due to error correction. (But then how come some drives can correctly extract these types of CDs?)

Fortunately, I don't think they can corrupt the C2 data on purpose ! The reason for that, is that almost all standalone cd players try to CORRECT the audio using the C2 info. They use error concealment (ie: interpolation) as a last resort only.  Last resort = so many scratches, that 15% reed-solomon redundancy is not enough.

The most nasty things (regarding so-called "copy protection") that I heard of, are corrupted index markers. The index markers are used by cd-rom drives to reach the correct audio data sector, and it's NOT USED by standalones (which just read the audio continuously). So they just corrupt that part of the subchannel data sometimes.

By the way, the "CloneCD method" would be immune to these kinds of tricks

Reply #23
Gecko, I took the liberty of posting your interesting PM answer, for comments. I hope you don't mind.

I think method 2 is used, but I don't know actually. If method 3 were used, then how come EAC needs to check if the drive properly reported c2 info.

On the other hand, what if method 3 was used and your average drive in reality only reads the actual audio data ignoring the c2 info and calculates it's very own c2 checksum from the data it just read... for conveniance or whatever. That is why you can give EAC an insanely scratched CD and use the "test if drive supports c2" and it still doesn't report a single error.

(Am I making sense?)

Well, to me you make perfect sense ! I agree with everything you just said.

But then again, what about REAL "raw reading by the drive" ?!??  If our belief is correct, it means that real, genuine "RAW" audio reading is not possible on cd-rom hardware, which would be a shame...  So, I hope we're wrong !

About the chance of c2 missing an error: I only read somewhere on this board that it was insecure... perhaps it isn't after all.

Since I can't offer any more knowledge, I have asked PIO to have a look at this thread, hopefully he can help.

Good idea 

EDIT: just a small correction: C2 is not only a checksum; it is Reed-solomon based ECC, which enables both detection (with a very high probability) and - if needed - correction up to a maximum number of recovered samples. Very similar techniques are used by SmartPAR, FSRaid and the new RAR 3.0.

Reply #24
A quote from Pio2001 - can be found on: http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?threadid=9805

When an error occurs, the C1 and C2 processes can recover exactly the info. This occurs inside the drive, and can't be accessed from outside.
The only thing viewable from outside is the C2 flag, that is 'right' or 'wrong'.
'Right' means that either there was no error, either there was a perfectly corrected error.
'Wrong' means that the C2 info couldn't be used to reconstruct the missing data.

From here, the processes of audio playback and audio extraction differs.
Audio extraction stops there, and a wrong data is returned.
Audio playback then perform "error concealment" : wrong data are interpolated from neighborous valid samples. That's why in most cases, a scratched CD clicks when extracted, and doesn't when played.

Gecko, it seems like "method 2" is used. So, it is the responsibility of the cd drive to perform the C1+C2 processes. For this reason, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to perform proper EAC extraction on a non-perfectly-extracted CloneCD audio image.

In other words, EAC is useless on CloneCD images. CDMage does the same job.

Conclusion: better not use CloneCD - at least not until it becomes better than EAC 

Good try bman1