Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which DVD-drive would make some good EAC rips ? (Read 2984 times) previous topic - next topic

Which DVD-drive would make some good EAC rips ?

hello

i'd like to buy a dvd-drive and it would be better if it could make some great rip with EAC (faster than light without any errors  ).

I'm thinking about the liteon 16/40.

What about you ?

Reply #1
That would be a great choice, that's what I have, fast as hell and I never had problems. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Reply #2
I use a toshiba sd-m1612 seems to get the best results i've ever come acrosses, a lot better then my lite-on and my plextor.

Reply #3
I use a toshiba sd-m1612 seems to get the best results i've ever come acrosses, a lot better then my lite-on and my plextor.

Best results concerning what?  Speed? Accuracy?  And using what settings? (c2 enabled? for error correction as well? caching? etc..)

According to the EAC author and many other people who have performed rigorous tests, there are very few drives in existence which provide more reliable and error free rips than a plextor.  I haven't particularly heard the Toshiba drives mentioned as being one of the really great drives in this regard either, but I could be wrong.  I'm interested in knowing more

Something else to consider in this thread is whether or not you care about getting not only glitch free rips, but also highly accurate rips regarding offsets, etc, and supporting more of the less-used features of EAC (which are there for those perfectionists among us ).  Not all drives are capable of reading into the lead-in/lead-out for example, etc (the lite-on being one of them.. I have this drive though I rip with my Ultraplex).

Reply #4
i have a liteon 16/40 and it works great...

if/when you get this drive, be sure to look around the nest for firmwares.... you will be able to find ones that enable or disable audiocaching, and other things...

its very fast when using the non-caching firmware, set on IDE channel 1 and set as a slave device...

not sure why this makes a difference, but it is what lite-on said to do in the installation guide and works like a charm...

also for this firmware, there is a known read offset which i use to correct for the offset.

overall id highly suggest the lite-on, and its quite inexpensive as welll.