Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plextools vs. EAC: Different offset values (Read 4511 times) previous topic - next topic

Plextools vs. EAC: Different offset values

Hi there,

1. Plextools' (1.18) offset values for my PX-W 1210A are -396 (read) and -120 (write) while EAC detected +99 (read, confirmed with 3 different CDs) and -30 (write). Either something's wrong with these values or I misunderstood what I read about offsets so far.
Can someone enlighten me, please?

2. What are the best "DAE error recovery" settings for Plextools?

2.1. About "Retries": The higher the better - or is there a limit where it's unlikely that increasing the value improves anything?

2.2. "5. Recover the best bytes (least errors) per sector." is best, isn't it? Could there be cases where other settings give better results?

Thnx
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #1
1) Plextor counts in bytes and EAC in stereo samples. One stereo sample = 4 bytes (2x16 bits).
EAC signs offsets relatively to the wav files : data shifted to the right (late) = positive, to the left (early) = negative, or if you prefer, it shows the opposite of the read offset (thus called read offset correction), and the true write offset.

2) I've not got Plextools.

Reply #2
1) Plextor counts in bytes and EAC in stereo samples. One stereo sample = 4 bytes (2x16 bits).
EAC signs offsets relatively to the wav files : data shifted to the right (late) = positive, to the left (early) = negative, or if you prefer, it shows the opposite of the read offset (thus called read offset correction), and the true write offset.

Looking at the "different" values again I feel like I've just failed an intelligence test for guard dogs.  (If any guard dogs read this, please don't feel offended!) It's so obvious! Thnx, BTW!
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #3
You're right, option 5 is the best, there is no possibility where any other option could be better. This one will always save you the most data accurately.