Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone problems (Read 1240 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone problems

I recently restored my iPod but noticed afterwards a drop in the sound level, such that quiet passages of music were barely audible even if I turned up the volume full and there was no ambient noise. This just wasn't right.

Now, I wondered if this might have been related to the restoration. I was worried either that the iPod was developing a fault or that the firmware might have been monkeyed around with by Apple at the insistence of the nanny state.

Anyway, the third possibility occurred to me: that it was the headphones. I disliked the ones I was using anyway - they were the Apple "in-ear" phones, which I find to be poorly fitting, uncomfortable, and likely to fall out. (I got them after the original phones got trodden on and broken.) So I thought it worth replacing them.

To cut a long story short, with a new pair of headphones - just the standard Apple ones - everything is OK again. I can now turn the volume back down to a half to three-quarters of full volume for normal listening and turn it up if there's a particularly quiet passage.

I suspect that the old headphones had gradually been getting worse over time - I've certainly encountered problems hearing some things well on them for some time - and a greater deterioration was merely coincidental with the iPod restoration.

Anyway, this is perhaps worth posting. If anyone notices volume problems with a DAP, it obviously can be down to the headphones, and that's worth checking.