Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hilarious Sound Blaster X-Fi claim (Read 17230 times) previous topic - next topic

Hilarious Sound Blaster X-Fi claim

Reply #25

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the UK this is surely a claim that cannot be justified under the Trade Descriptions Act. This is pure marketing hype that cannot be substantiated by any factual evidence whatsoever, in fact, worse - they're blatant lies.

There is a story about this here.

Interesting, thanks.

Reply #26
better than studio quality huh? So the X-Fi makes clapton sound like a better guitar player than he actually is?

I owned an Audigy 2, but i've switched to onboard sound recently... Creative has jumped the shark.

I also switched to onboard realtek audio from my X-Fi XtremeGamer, and it does show its average quality (skips, clicks, drop-outs). I didn't do it because I learned of creative's lies, which i've known for a long time, I did it because I'm dualbooting XP/linux and the X-Fi series are not supported on linux. Surprisingly, the onboard audio is much more stable on Linux than on XP. When I do get a separate PC for each OS I'm definitely going to keep using the X-Fi. Just skip the fake charts/graphs/claims and look at the specs, those cards are good pieces of (rather expensive) hardware.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #27
better than studio quality huh? So the X-Fi makes clapton sound like a better guitar player than he actually is?

No but Hendrix sounds like he has more people playing with him (more Experience - get it ??)

Reply #28
Is the experience axis linear or logarithmic? I need to know!

Reply #29
I was wondering, why only MP3 and CD were in the diagram for the Crap-Fi Experience, but not studio. Then it dawned on me - if they did that, their slogan would have made no sense anymore(well, even more "no sense", basically). Either that, or they figured studio-engineers would come killing them, if they did that. Actually, that doesnt sound like such a bad thought....

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #30
Wow, Creative is good... judging by their claims with MP3, they can pull sound quality out of nowhere. Man, that takes some skill.

Reply #34
Make it sound better with crystalizer.
Umm, studio ninja's with compact discs to take out the enemy.
...ahem

problem is ... ninja's are trained to operate noiselessly ... but I bet X-Fi could even improve that sound.

Marketing gag would be something like ... "nothing" sounds better with crystalizer
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #35
I just want to admit that creative produces sound cards for people who want to be entertained, not professionals. Yeah, you're all absolutely right that creatives CAN ONLY LIE of "improving" the sound to a unknown experience and make 1 dollar stereo speakers to a hi-fi THX surround system.

Me, as a mixture of professional and a normal consumer :-P , I first informed me about detailed hardware information about the X-Fi card. And yeah, you will be first a lil bit impressioned when you see technical details (X-Fi: 51 million transistors, Audigy: 4,6 million transistors), wow. then there's a version with a so called X-Fi RAM with 64 Mbits. WOW, will the sound cards look like graphic accelerators? Or in future even take more coolings than the best nVidia GeForce?

Then, as a little professional, I asked myself: Why does creative spend about 51 million transistor for one card, only to emulate a so-called X-Fi experience? It's all about that: The X-Fi card is a very expensive hardware emulator/equalizer.

Me, I stay on my very cheap Terratec Aureon 5.1 xD, the sound satisfies me, so whatever... I don't need the feeling to sit in the studio room where my favorite DJs are making their new CD, 'cuz it sounds amazing enough in my living room :-P
FB2K,APE&LAME

Reply #36
So, Creative is pulling this sound quality out of their ass? I have a feeling that whatever sounds being pulled out of there aren't going to be pleasant

Reply #38
I wonder how they ever found it plausible, or even ethical, to say that a consumer sound card meant for gaming is better than a professional studio that would make the music to begin with. It's better than real life!

Reply #39
Have you guys seen this one?

Reply #40
Have you guys seen this one?

I'm not quote sure what that graph is supposed to show?

That MP3's are "lumpy" sounding, CD's are worse, and X-Fi makes your sound super lumpy? And with a humongous boost below 10hz?

It makes no sense at all.

Reply #41
I guess there's no point in studios any more; we should just record everything using an X-Fi card. Whatever equipment is used, the X-Fi'll make it sound better than a studio anyway.