Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Arguments Against Using Windows Media 9 (Read 18729 times) previous topic - next topic

Arguments Against Using Windows Media 9

Reply #25
A portable player is not a platform.
It's a portable player damnit...
That would be like calling a horse a vehicle...

Reply #26
A portable player is not a platform.
It's a portable player damnit...
That would be like calling a horse a vehicle...

OK, even if we dont call it a platform, what spoon says still holds: wma can be decoded on other "hardware/software combinations" / "gadgets" / (whatever you want to call it) than a PC with Windows, no?

Btw, at least the iriver products use an ARM processor which is much more powerful than the CPU in my first PC. And it runs some sort of software that controls the device. But just because it is an embedded system it should not be called "platform"?

Reply #27
Quote from: Daybreak,Oct 6 2002 - 03:55 AM
First off, I would like to emphasize a point made in my first post - that the freedom of choice is what is important. You shouldn't use .. say Ogg or MPC just because someone tells you to. The choice is first and foremost yours to make - you make the decision to heed their advice or not, but in no way should you EVER have to choose MPC just because someone ORDERED you to.

No one here stated otherwise. The guy simply wanted to know of other non audio related reasons not to use WMA. And so far we are the only ones to provide him with such. Not yourself.

Perhaps I did not make it clear, but in my original post, I did differentiate between NEED TO and CHOOSE TO. At work, if you have to use Windows or any other Microsoft products, fine, by all means. Your employer is paying you to do your job. You don't really have much say.

But that was only at work. You implied that all home users whether out of desire or nescesity were all hypocrits. I was not talking about using it at work.

But what about those who run Windows at home by CHOICE and then go around bashing it and bemoaning Microsoft? There is plainly no excuse for such behaviour. If you want to make a statement, by all means live by your statement. Microsoft is bad. Windows sucks. But I need Windows to play my favourite games! Well, if what you say is truly what you believe, then the loss of a few games to uphold your belief will not mean much to you. It isn't that there aren't games at all for other OSes ( Lokigames, WineX for Linux ). But to say that Microsoft sucks, yet you still use their OS and products out of choice, that plainly to me is hyprocritical.

You still have no idea what hypocracy is. The fact is that Microsoft has a monopoly on most things desktop. You can't go far with your desktop and not be hindered by Microsoft. If someone uses Windows by choice and then tries to bash it just so he can seme 1337 then yes he is a hypocrite. But no one here is in that position. Wanting to run a game and wanting to run Windows are distinct things as well. They are not mutually inclusive. You always have such broad sweeping biased unfounded accusations.

Another thing I never truly understand - that Microsoft leverages its monopoly to absolutely squash standards. I do agree that in any area Microsoft chooses to compete in, it tries every method to become the dominant force - even using underhanded means. However, IMHO, alternatives are present and will always remain so. Perhaps not in the corporate environment, where the choice is not yours to make, but in your own personal life. Don't like Windows? Linux, BSD. Don't like IE? Mozilla, Opera. Don't like Office? OpenOffice, Abiword... The choice is yours to make. Packaging something in my default does in no way mean that you have to use it.

You get MSWord documents from work, friends, or the internet? OpenOffice is a splended program. But due to the fact that the file format is closed and guarded by Microsoft the OpenOffice group had to reverse engineer it. It works for basic documents, but not for all of em. So there are times where you still have to go back to Windows against your will. Should I mention Power Point, Visio, etc? I don't use em but I have to deal with people who do. So I still have to deal with Windows. I try to make the best of it by loading down the OS with my favorite opensource apps, but even they can't stop the OS underneath from truly sucking. Lets put it this way. I have an AMD Anthlon 1600 on my desktop with Windows XP. I use it mostly and almost solely for video compression ATM. I have a PII 400 runing as a linux server and I spend 90% of my time on the computer at home on the PII and not the Anthlon!

In no way did I ever at all say that one should make a comparision without evaluating the products. I don't know how you can read so much into my first post, but simply put, I called hyprocrites those who SAID something and DID another. It is perfectly fine in my book to have run Windows before and then moved on totally from it. In these case, you are no LONGER using Microsoft products, and can feel free to bash them with total belief in your statement.

Through all your posts you have kept repeating and implying that all of us who have voiced our dislike for Microsoft/Windows are hypocrites because we use Windows. You never said otherwise or spoke to us differently so what I say stands. You are way off base to be calling people hypocrites. If you moved away from Microsoft products and continued to bash them then you would be a hypocrite. Not using Microsoft products gives you no right or clout to bash them. Again knowing about what you speak is supremely important.

However, if you have used Microsoft's products, used another product, found it to be better, yet STILL use Microsoft and bash Microsoft for being evil, then that makes you a hyprocrite.

I used MS Office. Then I used OpenOffice. I loved OpenOffice so much more it is on every OS on all my computers. But I must still use Windows and MS Office because Microsoft are assholes. I used IE. Then I used Mozilla. I loved Mozilla so much more it is on every computer I use even the ones I don't own under every OS. But I still must use Windows and IE because Microsoft are assholes and break their HTML on purpose so standards compliant browsers can not use it. I am by no means a hypocrite and that does not make anyone a hypocrite. Once you learn that you will be better off.

In general, I don't appreciate personal attacks. Note in my post that NO WHERE did I ever bash Linux or anything. Nor was I ever making a comparision between Microsoft and any other company. Instead, I was making a rant against those who simply DID NOT or CHOSE NOT to live up to their beliefs. They are hypocrites. Where does your question that one needs to compare to choose, and that I need to get hands on experience ( which I quite clearly have BTW.. I've worked on Solaris, AIX, Linux, NT and 2K systems at work.. The only stuff I haven't really messed around with are Macs) come into question? I fear that you simply are jumping around without any basis.

It was the tone of what you said and the context in which you said it. Perhaps I did jump the gun a bit. But I don't think people will disagree with me to much. If you simply wantet to state a view and make sure we did not misconstrew you by it you should have given us an out or stated it differently. What you stated simple appeard as a broas sweeping all inclusive statement.

Any why would I be a hyprocrite myself? I never bashed Microsoft nor any company/OS/software in my post. On the contrary, if you would look through the entire thread, quite clearly, you were the one doing so.

Again it all has to do with the context and tone. I was well within my rights to say so. If you wish to avoid this be more specific in the future.

I don't know what the hell those who replied negatively are getting at, but you seem to think that I'm bashing all the Microsoft-bashers, that I'm a Microsoft lover. Well, I'm not any of the above. I didn't bash Microsoft-bashers, on the contrary, all I said was that those who bash Microsoft should live up to their beliefs in their personal capacity. Otherwise, they are simply plain hyprocrites. That's all. And this is the issue that needs to be addressed.

But you did not say that in as many words. Or any words actually. From what you stated all one could infer is that you thought all people who used Windows and Linux etc and bashed Microsoft were hypocrites. That is clearly not the case. Though I am still unsure if that is apparent to you.

Oh, and Utada Hikaru, X-Japan, Shonen Knife are Japanese artistes/groups. SES is a Korean group, even though they have had Japanese releases. Quite clearly two different entitities, just so Neo Neko might like to know.

I know who they are.  I have K-pop as well as J-pop. They are groups of a similar background, though different language.  Don't hold it against me for trying to strike up a conversation along different lines. 

To those who chose not to use WMAv9 for its (poor) quality, by all means, I support your decision. It is just that it shouldn't simply be because people .. hey.. someone told you that you couldn't use it.

That is all well and good. But the funny thing is that in the original post here that is exactly what the guy asked for. "Non audio related resons not to use WMA" Everything we have discussed here pretty well fals under that category.

Reply #29
Why not try WMA9? "because of the sound quality", well WMA9 now supports LossLess audio, so the sound quality is 100% the same as the original.

This is a deliberate distortion of what other people are meaning when they say "because of the sound quality".  You should know full well that people are not talking about the lossless mode of WMA when they say that, so using this type of argument in response is faulty.

"It only runs on Windows" wrong, apart from mp3 it is the most supported format on portable players.

Cross-Platform usually means that it runs on all major OS's.  Portable support is only a small part of that.  Tell me, how are Linux or BSD users supposed to encode WMA's for their portables?

"Microsoft are evil" if you want a really evil company have a look at Apple - even with its pitifull market share it goes around sueing / threatening individuals, or review sites (not companies). I am glad apple are not any bigger...BTW I cannot remember anytime MS have sued an individual for making a toolbar look like the on in Office, Apple would.

What does Apple have to do with WMA?

The board is guilty of speading false information, which in my opinion is wrong and damaging - imagine someone coming here they read this crap and decide not to touch WMA, despite having a 64MB portable mp3 player that supports it, they would then listen to inferior mp3 encoded at lower bitrates (64Kbps).

I beg to differ.  If the board is guilty of anything, it would be that of harboring users who take statements out of context, ignoring their meaning and attempting to bypass any validity they have for the purposes of imbuing their own apparently unfounded and unreasonable biases on the community.

Here are the reasons that I find WMA unsuitable for most purposes:

1.  WMA is not cross platform because all of the tools do not work on most major OS's.  It might be very partially cross-platform in a sense that portables can play with Windows encoded WMA's, but calling that truly cross-platform in the sense that HA uses it, is definitely incorrect.

2.  WMA is not open, at all.  It doesn't have an open source encoder, decoder, etc.  Because of this there's no home grown developer community around it, no interest in furthering the quality of the product for the users, by the users.

3.  WMA is not flexible for users of this board.  People here want flexibility.  DRM restricts that.  Being non-cross-platform restricts that.  Being not-open source restricts that.  I can't use any of the tools I use for other formats with WMA.

4.  WMA doesn't sound good.  I'm not talking about lossless either.  In the lossy mode, which is what 99% of WMA users are probably using at the moment, WMA sounds inferior to every other codec on this board when using moderate to high bitrates.  At low bitrates, it still comes in nearly last.  I'm not even certain that most people here would actually prefer WMA to a good Fhg encode at 64kbps.  Maybe, maybe not.

So where are the advantages to using WMA?  The real advantages.  The killer app.  Where is it?  What makes WMA so good that it'd be worth giving up all the advantages of the other formats just to use it?

Reply #30
Some people say: tests shows that wma is inferior to ogg at 64kbit/s...bla bla BLA!

I disagree. Today noone can make a neutral test between the codecs at this bitrate, simply because they all make their own special sound, like wma which makes that famous metallic sound. So it's easy to tell which codec is which. And with all these peolpe hateing microsoft already, they will simply judge it as crap.

So why use Microsoft media:

1. It's the best thing in avi-movies that you want to take very little space, or the movie is long and you have to free up space for the picture. Ogg sucks in avi because of the vbr.

2. Personally I don't think OGG beats Wma at 64kbit/s (44100kHz stereo).

Reply #31
I have to admit Microsoft makes a good operating system....

i think there are many that would admit to no such thing. M$ makes an easy OS, i dunno if that makes it a good OS...

edit: oops, too slow...

Yea I think that sounds better.

Reply #32

Well, I think OGG Vorbis beats pretty much everything at 64 and 80 kbit......
Also, I don't see how VBR can be a disadvantage...

Reply #33
[Also, I don't see how VBR can be a disadvantage... ]

There's only trouble with AVI and VBR-sound. Happily the OGG-team  is working on a new container format (I hope)

Reply #34
Some people say: tests shows that wma is inferior to ogg at 64kbit/s...bla bla BLA!

Yeah.. let's throw objectivity out the window.  It'll be great.  Then HA can become just like all the usenet groups like rec.audio.opinion.  After all, that's what you're implying right?  That opinion is king, and that objectivity and testing are nonsense?

I disagree. Today noone can make a neutral test between the codecs at this bitrate, simply because they all make their own special sound, like wma which makes that famous metallic sound. So it's easy to tell which codec is which. And with all these peolpe hateing microsoft already, they will simply judge it as crap.

This is conjecture.  Can you actually prove that most of the people who participated in ff123's test knew that they were listening to WMA?

Did you even take the test yourself?  If not, I think that kind of disqualifies you from really commenting on what people were thinking when taking the test, I mean, how would you know?

For the record, there were plenty of times were I was unsure which encoder the sample had come from.  I came to my conclusion that WMA truly sucks in regards to sound quality after the fact, by analyzing the results that I came to.

1. It's the best thing in avi-movies that you want to take very little space, or the movie is long and you have to free up space for the picture. Ogg sucks in avi because of the vbr.

And why do you have to use .avi?  As I understand it, using the Ogg container for movies these days works pretty well and is fairly flexible.

Got some abx tests to prove that?  The evidence and statistics are against you, so you'll have to forgive me for not just taking your word on the matter.  The burden of proof is on you to provide some sort of substance to back up this kind of statement.

One could go so far as to use your own argument against you btw, if you don't use blind testing.  You imply that people choose not to like a codec for personal reasons if they know what codec they are listening to.  How do you know that's not what you're doing with Ogg vs WMA?  This is of course assuming that you have bothered to do a real test in the first place.

Reply #35

How many OS have you tried? Just out of curiosity.

I have used DOS, all versions of Windows except for NT, Red Hat Linux, Mandrake Linux, SuSE Linux, and a couple other distros.

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux and it has found a place on my hard drive.  But it has taken a lot of time for me to learn Linux as I grew up using Windows.  Joe Average does not have time to learn an entirely different platform.

On the subject of command lines, Joe Average does not like command lines and that is why the Windows command console is so weak.

Yes, Microsoft basically steals all of their ideas and are completely non-innovative (if that's even a word...) but today is not yesterday, and I think nowadays Microsoft's programmers are a lot more skilled than they used to be, or if they ever were.

If only the Unix programmers were not bickering while Bill Gates stole the show back in the day, we all might be using some form of Unix today.

Reply #36

i think there are many that would admit to no such thing. M$ makes an easy OS, i dunno if that makes it a good OS...

LOL    See above.

It's people like you that give Linux a bad name.

Reply #37
[That opinion is king, and that objectivity and testing are nonsense?]

No, that's not what I'm implying. Some test even shows that wma win over mp3 at 128kbit/s.
You see, dibrom, I'm not against codec tests, I really like them, but since everyone was talking agianst microsoft I had to say something positive, cause things are not black and white.
I just felt like it had to be taken in consideration that they all sound bad at 64kbit/s, and that they all make their special sound. Perhaps that could have an effect on tests. And I was not talking about a particular test.

And I haven't taken the test you're talking about.

[Got some abx tests to prove that?]

I did an ABX once, but that's several months ago, couse I very seldome use bitrates low as 64 kbit/s.

For the record: I really like OGG, and I hate wma above 64kbit/s.

Reply #38
I'll try to keep this reply short since its 3AM here and I need to sleep, and these seems to be turning into a flame-war.

First off, I would like to apologise to anyone who may have been offended by my statements at all. But I would like to still stand by my point - to run a Microsoft product by choice, and then to call Microsoft evil is to be a hypocrite.

Hypocrisy, as defined by Dictionary.com means The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness. / An act or instance of such falseness.

And to me, clearly, by professing to hate Microsoft, calling Microsoft evil, then going on to use support them by using their products out of choice proves that you don't uphold your own statements. Hence hypocrisy.

A simple analogy would be that of software piracy.
Is software piracy illegal? Yes
Are the prices for software inflated, unjustifiable? IMHO, yes.
Does that make pirating of software any less illegal? Clearly, no.
Have I ever used pirated software? Yes.
By that extension, have I ever committed a crime? Yes, although I am not proud to admit it.

Reiterating my previous statement, by that vein, calling Microsoft evil, then going on to do something against what you just said is hypocritical. If you do indeed are guilty of such behaviour, then at least be gracious enough to admit it.

You still have no idea what hypocracy is. The fact is that Microsoft has a monopoly on most things desktop. You can't go far with your desktop and not be hindered by Microsoft. If someone uses Windows by choice and then tries to bash it just so he can seme 1337 then yes he is a hypocrite. But no one here is in that position. Wanting to run a game and wanting to run Windows are distinct things as well. They are not mutually inclusive. You always have such broad sweeping biased unfounded accusations.

I quite clearly have an idea of what hypocrisy is, thank you, Neo Neko. Microsoft has a monopoly on the desktop? I wouldn't really say that, although at present it does . Its hold is tenacious at best, and Linux and MacOS X are chipping away at it constantly.

You say that wanting to run a game and wanting to run Windows are different things. I agree. But my point is this. Want to run a game that needs Windows, but hate Windows? Fine, by all means, get a game that will run on your OS of choice. A game is an option, it is by no means compulsory nor necessary for your continuation of your life. You have to choose between a game, an optional relaxation, and upholding your beliefs that Windows/Microsoft is evil. Which is more important to you then? If you chose to play games on Windows over your beliefs, then what does that say about you?

You get MSWord documents from work, friends, or the internet? OpenOffice is a splended program. But due to the fact that the file format is closed and guarded by Microsoft the OpenOffice group had to reverse engineer it. It works for basic documents, but not for all of em. So there are times where you still have to go back to Windows against your will. Should I mention Power Point, Visio, etc? I don't use em but I have to deal with people who do. So I still have to deal with Windows. I try to make the best of it by loading down the OS with my favorite opensource apps, but even they can't stop the OS underneath from truly sucking. Lets put it this way. I have an AMD Anthlon 1600 on my desktop with Windows XP. I use it mostly and almost solely for video compression ATM. I have a PII 400 runing as a linux server and I spend 90% of my time on the computer at home on the PII and not the Anthlon!

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I make a distinction in areas where there is a choice and where there isn't. When you bosses send you something in Office that OpenOffice can't open, you have to use Microsoft Office. No say in the matter. But where you have the choice, you can quite clearly make your own decisions. Recieve a Word doc from your friend that OpenOffice can't handle? Ask him to use the RTF format. From the Internet? Look for text documentation/manuals, if not, Google has this function to view Word documents from its cache.

Kudos to you for using primarily Linux then. But as to video editing, are you sure that there are no viable Linux alternatives? ( I can't help you there as I don't do video editing ) And is the video editing part of your job, or your leisure activity? Does it feed you, or is it just for fun? If it's work, then you don't really have a choice. But if its for your own purposes, again, the question arises. Are you willing to violate your own principles just so to do your video-editing? If yes, does that not go against what you say? Is that plainly not hypocrisy?

Through all your posts you have kept repeating and implying that all of us who have voiced our dislike for Microsoft/Windows are hypocrites because we use Windows. You never said otherwise or spoke to us differently so what I say stands. You are way off base to be calling people hypocrites. If you moved away from Microsoft products and continued to bash them then you would be a hypocrite. Not using Microsoft products gives you no right or clout to bash them. Again knowing about what you speak is supremely important.

Yes, I do stand by my point. If you use Windows where you plainly have the choice not to, and you bashed Microsoft for being evil, that to me is an hypocritical action. What you refer to as being hypocritical, moving away from Microsoft products then bashing them, is to me not hypocrisy. I don't really know what you would call it, but it isn't hypocrisy any more. Hypocrisy is saying something and doing the other. To me, if you move totally from Microsoft and Windows, then proceede to call them dumb/evil/crap, you are no longer being hypocritical. You said something, you lived up to that belief. Whether your statements are justified or not is another thing.

Again it all has to do with the context and tone. I was well within my rights to say so. If you wish to avoid this be more specific in the future.

Context and tone? I never bashed any product. I did not make claims that "company XXX is bad, it sucks" Therefore I have no such statements to live up to. Wherein lies the hypocrisy?

But you did not say that in as many words. Or any words actually. From what you stated all one could infer is that you thought all people who used Windows and Linux etc and bashed Microsoft were hypocrites. That is clearly not the case. Though I am still unsure if that is apparent to you.

I still do hold by that belief. Just read the above points.

I know who they are.  I have K-pop as well as J-pop. They are groups of a similar background, though different language.  Don't hold it against me for trying to strike up a conversation along different lines.

I may be wrong here, since neither Korean nor Japanese is my native language (heck, even English isn't my native language) but, hmm.. are they of similar background at all? I think not. SES & Hikki tend towards R&B, more pop-ish stuff, while Shonen Knife is rock, and X-Japan is Visual Rock. Quite clearly different stuff, IMHO.

If you do have Korean and Japanese music however, I wouldn't mind exchanging

Reply #39
"You see, dibrom, I'm not against codec tests, I really like them, but since everyone was talking agianst microsoft I had to say something positive, cause things are not black and white.
I just felt like it had to be taken in consideration that they all sound bad at 64kbit/s, and that they all make their special sound. Perhaps that could have an effect on tests. And I was not talking about a particular test."

Things are not black and white. But as tests show, and as my hearing shows to me, the special sound WMA produces at 64kbps stinks compared to -all- other encoders. As you said it's that special sound, but not only. I'm not a pro at all, but i can certainly hear that Ogg at 64kbps uses less special sound and keeps more of the original than WMA. WMA is so horrible to my opinion, and many others'. But as you said, it's not black and white, you may like WMA better. I know many don't like things like this being said, but it does depend much on the speakers (and other equiepment) as well. If my speakers couldn't reach a frequency of at least 17,500khz i might have thought WMA is actually not so bad... Simply because there are no artifacts to hear (but 64kbps WMA produces artifacts at frequencies lower than that..).

Reply #40

This is conjecture.  Can you actually prove that most of the people who participated in ff123's test knew that they were listening to WMA?

while Garf is most certainly not "most people," iirc he was able to pick out most of the codecs in ff123's ~130kbps test (based on his comments). granted, a lot has happened since then and i never checked out the 64kbps test results (i don't encode at those bitrates), so i'll admit here and now that i'm talking straight out of my a$$ at this point, but it would seem to  me that distiguishing codecs would only get easier at lower bitrates. again, i really shouldn't be posting since i don't know anything, but i just thought i'd point it out.

Reply #41
Sorry, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

@ Daybreak:
I use win2k at home because most of the software I use and love runs under Windows. Actually, I'm quite satisfied with win2k. I think it does what I want pretty well. I do however disagree with the way MS tries to infiltrate and take over one market segment after another and replacing established standards (be them open or not) with proprietary ones. I try to use alternatives wherever possible (Mozilla is just an example).

But I don't see why I should artificially restrict myself to a different OS, where most of the software I want to use is not available or not mature. I also don't understand, why the fact that I'm using one of their products should keep me from criticizing their overall policy? After all, I'm not saying that win2k suxx, but that I disagree with how MS acts as a company. I don't think that makes me a hypocryte. It's not all about principles, you have to find a balance that suits you.

If I were to exagerate the way I understand your point of view: why should you want to work for a company that forces you to use MS products? Quit your job, set some priorities, don't be a hypocryte! There are companies who use open source products all the way. After all, you are free to choose where you want to work, right? ... but perhaps there are other factors which make working for the MS utilizing company more attractive?

@ Loke:
but since everyone was talking agianst microsoft I had to say something positive, cause things are not black and white.

Of course not, but the thread starter asked for other reasons, apart from audio quality considerations, to not use WMA. I don't think the people who replied to the original question are only aware of the drawbacks.

And yes, once you know what to listen for, it's not that hard to distinguish between different encoders/formats (at 64kbit/s), but I try not to let myself get biased. I do however dislike some type of artifacts more than others, and the way WMA and AAC mutilated the sound just wasn't nice. I also dislike mp3pro to some extent, but I have to admit: at 64kbit/s it sounds comparatively good.

Back on topic:
I suppose if the WMA format were interesting enough so that many people would feel the need to talk about it, then a seperate WMA section would be created. But atm it isn't, and I suspect there wouldn't be many posts in the WMA section anyway.

Reply #42
Quote from: Daybreak,Oct 6 2002 - 02:06 PM
I'll try to keep this reply short since its 3AM here and I need to sleep, and these seems to be turning into a flame-war.

First off, I would like to apologise to anyone who may have been offended by my statements at all. But I would like to still stand by my point - to run a Microsoft product by choice, and then to call Microsoft evil is to be a hypocrite.

I got a little hot my bad. But like I said your comment in that context had a very limited range of interperitations to be made. The overwhelming interperitation was the one I took. Context is a bitch. Believe me I have said a one or two things in a context that led people to believe I meant something other than I said. No worries though, I am starting to warm up to ya.

And to me, clearly, by professing to hate Microsoft, calling Microsoft evil, then going on to use support them by using their products out of choice proves that you don't uphold your own statements. Hence hypocrisy.

It's just not that black and white man. You don't want to pollute the environment, so you walk or bike everywhere you go. No mass transit even cause you are going all the way. Now you have to make a trip of several hundred miles or kilometers in less than two days. Without masstransit or some form of poluting transit your hopes are pretty well shot. So you give in an ride a train, bus, car, or plane. That does not make you a hypocrite. Neither does using Windows and other Microsoft products at home even though you dislike them. Get pst your black and white on this for myself and everyone else and I think we could easily find a common ground.

A simple analogy would be that of software piracy.
Is software piracy illegal? Yes
Are the prices for software inflated, unjustifiable? IMHO, yes.
Does that make pirating of software any less illegal? Clearly, no.
Have I ever used pirated software? Yes.
By that extension, have I ever committed a crime? Yes, although I am not proud to admit it.

I know some people who would disagree with you on that. But I disagree with them so I am with you.

Reiterating my previous statement, by that vein, calling Microsoft evil, then going on to do something against what you just said is hypocritical. If you do indeed are guilty of such behaviour, then at least be gracious enough to admit it.

I have no hypocracy to admit to. I use Windows at home not because I want to, but because I have to some times. There is no hypocracy in that. Microsoft does not gain users by writing good software. They simply minimize their losses by making it as hard as possible to leave them. Microsoft does however have one or two good pieces of software that they have released. They did not write them, and it is not enough to save the companys reputation.

I quite clearly have an idea of what hypocrisy is, thank you, Neo Neko. Microsoft has a monopoly on the desktop? I wouldn't really say that, although at present it does.

You still need to tweek your personal definition. This whole black and white treatment just won't do for anyone. Perhaps beside yourself. And why is it you are being so soft here. Saying you would not say it and then you do. Where do you stand? Clarrify yourself.

Its hold is tenacious at best, and Linux and MacOS X are chipping away at it constantly.

The stats are still out for that. You and I can continue to dream. But untill something conclusive turns up I am still gonna work my arse off getting the word out.

You say that wanting to run a game and wanting to run Windows are different things. I agree. But my point is this. Want to run a game that needs Windows, but hate Windows? Fine, by all means, get a game that will run on your OS of choice. A game is an option, it is by no means compulsory nor necessary for your continuation of your life. You have to choose between a game, an optional relaxation, and upholding your beliefs that Windows/Microsoft is evil. Which is more important to you then? If you chose to play games on Windows over your beliefs, then what does that say about you?

Actually I don't play many games. Although Frozen Bubble under GNOME is quickly becomming a favorite. But still you can't shut yourself off from the world simply to uphold or espouse your belief. You might say you hate the sun. But you can't stay under a rock forever. Sooner or later you must come out. The only thing you have no choice over is eating, sleeping or deficating. Everything else is a choice. Where, when, how, etc. People have to do things they do not like in order to do things they do.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I make a distinction in areas where there is a choice and where there isn't. When you bosses send you something in Office that OpenOffice can't open, you have to use Microsoft Office. No say in the matter. But where you have the choice, you can quite clearly make your own decisions. Recieve a Word doc from your friend that OpenOffice can't handle? Ask him to use the RTF format. From the Internet? Look for text documentation/manuals, if not, Google has this function to view Word documents from its cache.

People are hard to change though I try. And the rest of that is to much hastle to be of any real use.

Kudos to you for using primarily Linux then. But as to video editing, are you sure that there are no viable Linux alternatives? ( I can't help you there as I don't do video editing )

None on par with Virtualdub. Avery did good with Virtualdub. And he himself would like to create a version for Linux. But he has only begun to learn to program there.

And is the video editing part of your job, or your leisure activity? Does it feed you, or is it just for fun? If it's work, then you don't really have a choice. But if its for your own purposes, again, the question arises. Are you willing to violate your own principles just so to do your video-editing?

It is for my purposes solely. But it is not hypocracy even though it is for leisure solely. I would not mind a job working with video in this manner. But I understand they are quite rare. Besides I am much more a network man myself.

If yes, does that not go against what you say? Is that plainly not hypocrisy?

Plainly it is not. What good is it to isolate yourself from the world. Choose your battles wisely. Make them important. Anything to extreme is bad. Even morals, ethics, and beliefs.

Yes, I do stand by my point. If you use Windows where you plainly have the choice not to, and you bashed Microsoft for being evil, that to me is an hypocritical action. What you refer to as being hypocritical, moving away from Microsoft products then bashing them, is to me not hypocrisy.

I was implying as you suggest that one moves completely away from Windows so that they have no contact or great knowledge of it. At that point they are unqualified to comment good or bad on it. Simply that it does not concern them.

I don't really know what you would call it, but it isn't hypocrisy any more. Hypocrisy is saying something and doing the other. To me, if you move totally from Microsoft and Windows, then proceede to call them dumb/evil/crap, you are no longer being hypocritical. You said something, you lived up to that belief. Whether your statements are justified or not is another thing.

Beliefs are nothing without a foundation to build upon. A better foundation generally the better the belief. Remove from or limit the foundation of that belief and you only belittle your belief. You can fulfill any belief or prophecy simply by neglicting the niggling conflicting details. The real fun/challenge is to take all the data you can either way and then try to prove it. And this means running Windows etc.

Context and tone? I never bashed any product. I did not make claims that "company XXX is bad, it sucks" Therefore I have no such statements to live up to. Wherein lies the hypocrisy?

You spoke of a group of people that because of your lack of specificity could have been easily misconstrued as meaning us. You never bashed a company. That was me, though I have good reason and basis to do so. If this was not your intent or meaning please be more specific in the future so this does not happen. I shall endeavor to do the same.

I may be wrong here, since neither Korean nor Japanese is my native language (heck, even English isn't my native language) but, hmm.. are they of similar background at all? I think not. SES & Hikki tend towards R&B, more pop-ish stuff, while Shonen Knife is rock, and X-Japan is Visual Rock. Quite clearly different stuff, IMHO.

My yes their styles are quite different. I was speaking more of geographical and cultural background though.

If you do have Korean and Japanese music however, I wouldn't mind exchanging

Perhaps for another day. Till then get Kazaa lite and look for Utada Hikaru's "Sakura Drops" video. It is beautifull and so is she. She ventures more towards pop stylings but she is still damn good.

I can give you this link though. http://bb.goo.ne.jp/entertainment/music/ Beware the evil WMA/ASF!  I am working on a way to convert them to an open format/codecs while incurring as little loss as possible. Because the Microsoft formats have butchered them to much already. But if you are willing to venture out under Windows and possibly even IE no less there is some interesting content there.

Reply #43
Outside of pure sound quality issues... why else would you suggest against someone (a person or company) using Microsoft Windows Media Format for encoding their digital audio library?  Thanks in advance.

Why isn't there a WMedia "forum" here?

BTW, I'm a huge supporter of EAC/LAME/APextreme and that's all I currently use.

WMP9 is big, fat and bloated. It runs sloooooow. It goes the opposite direction of software development.

Secure ripping? Not much chance.

VBR seeking for MP3 fixed? Probably not.

Ugly? You bet it is.

WMA support? Who cares?

Please put litter in its proper place ;-)
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #44

LOL    See above.

Aaaah the qouting deepens. I guaronte you that I am not. Actually I tend to be quite a bit more moderate than most. Though I do have some clear views and beliefs that for a lack of a better word or reason seem to be unpopular, though not uncalled for. I am glad to see you have given some of the alternatives at least some look. But it only serves to puzle me more about your conclusion.

I think you will find all those issues quite true, honest, and candid. And I think that is also why you did not argue to negate them. Because you knew better. Perhaps they had my spin/bias on them, but that does not negate them. If you think I was pulling your leg look a bit deeper. You will be suprised what you find and that is only the surface.

Reply #46

LOL    See above.

Aaaah the qouting deepens. I guaronte you that I am not. Actually I tend to be quite a bit more moderate than most. Though I do have some clear views and beliefs that for a lack of a better word or reason seem to be unpopular, though not uncalled for. I am glad to see you have given some of the alternatives at least some look. But it only serves to puzle me more about your conclusion.

I think you will find all those issues quite true, honest, and candid. And I think that is also why you did not argue to negate them. Because you knew better. Perhaps they had my spin/bias on them, but that does not negate them. If you think I was pulling your leg look a bit deeper. You will be suprised what you find and that is only the surface.

Oh I agree with most of what you've stated about Microsoft.  It's that I am still using Windows as my primary operating system ATM and of course I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite.

I also felt like you were judging me just because of what I stated, but I think what I said didn't come off the way I meant it.

Maybe I'll go to a Linux convention so Tux can whoop my ass.

Reply #47
Oh I agree with most of what you've stated about Microsoft.  It's that I am still using Windows as my primary operating system ATM and of course I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite.

I also felt like you were judging me just because of what I stated, but I think what I said didn't come off the way I meant it.

Maybe I'll go to a Linux convention so Tux can whoop ‰ÛÄss.

Aaaah I see. Well whatever floats yer boat.  I don't advocate that everyone use any one thing. Just that alternatives be explored and given the opportunity.  I myself likely should not be a role model for someone just starting out anyways. As quadruple plus boot systems are not the easiest to manage. Someday I may get down to just two OS. BSD or Linux being one of them. And if the OpenBeOS guys can pull it off then I see great things for them on the desktop.

Reply #48
On the point of being a hypocrite when using M$ while you hate it - as others already pointed out, it's in a sense so that if you do something you say you dont like, thats indeed hypocrisy.

but - there might be an exeption. and its quite useless to use the dictonairy for that, because such things aren't in a dictionairy, but in a book about filosofy, i think...

If someone forces you to do something you dont like, are you a hypocrite??? I think, NO. so, if I want to check my mail, or look at this forum, at the university, I HAVE TO USE THE COMPUTERS PROVIDED THERE. and... they run win NT.

so... stil agree, im not a hypocrite??? (although, I am, only not on this point )

-xxx-
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

Reply #49

How many OS have you tried? Just out of curiosity.

I have used DOS, all versions of Windows except for NT, Red Hat Linux, Mandrake Linux, SuSE Linux, and a couple other distros.

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux and it has found a place on my hard drive.  But it has taken a lot of time for me to learn Linux as I grew up using Windows.  Joe Average does not have time to learn an entirely different platform.

On the subject of command lines, Joe Average does not like command lines and that is why the Windows command console is so weak.

Yes, Microsoft basically steals all of their ideas and are completely non-innovative (if that's even a word...) but today is not yesterday, and I think nowadays Microsoft's programmers are a lot more skilled than they used to be, or if they ever were.

If only the Unix programmers were not bickering while Bill Gates stole the show back in the day, we all might be using some form of Unix today.

Joe Average is indeed a problem while turning the world to Linux

I tried Linux (mandrake 8.0) and I did like it, but most of my fav software didnt work, and I didnt want to spent hours and hours to get it working. so - its not on my pc anymore.

cheers.
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]