Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: (Unofficial) CDex 1.60 with CUE sheets ++ (Read 13122 times) previous topic - next topic

(Unofficial) CDex 1.60 with CUE sheets ++

Got tired of waiting for a new version of CDex. It doesn't seem like CDex is in active development anymore, so I added a few features on the latest source and compiled up a package.

I know that most of you use EAC, but I fancy the on-the-fly encoding using dll codecs, and it works well on unscatched CDs (which all my CDs are, naturally  ). This version creates cue sheets when saving as one image (even only some songs). It writes a cue sheet similar to EAC, but doesn't detect pre/post gaps. Also on-the-fly flac enoding via the bundled libFLAC.dll is enabled here.

Code: [Select]
// Version 1.60 beta 1 cs1 (by tycho)
Added cue-sheet saving when saving partial tracks.
Enabled experimental libFlac.dll support.
Changed to better default name for partial tracks filename.
Changed defaults: MP3 mode j-stereo, Jitter correction disabled, CDDB auto connection.
Added average speed display (removed estimated total time).
Included latest dlls (libFLAC.dll, MACDll.dll 3.99, lame_enc.dll 3.97a10, vorbis 1.1.0)
Compiled UNICODE version.

The source diffs from the cvs is included the package. Am I allowed to distribute this? I will provide a link if it's OK.

Reply #1
I do not know if you are allow to distribute this, but an update to CDex is always what I waiting for. Any link? 
Break The Rules!!!

Reply #2
The source diffs from the cvs is included the package. Am I allowed to distribute this? I will provide a link if it's OK.

The original code is under the GPL so yes you are allowed to distribute binaries as long as long as you abide by the GPL, as a very short summary: your modifications must also be licensed under the GPL or compatible license and you must make an offer of the source if you distribute binaries.

You should also add your own copyright notice to the changed file if you do not wish to assign copyright of your changes to the original authors.

Since current CDex development seems to be stalled/or dead I don't suppose anyone would mind much if you forked the project. If you actively maintained it in effect you would be come the mainline developer. It is preceisly the point of the GPL that you can do things like this. If development of a closed source application stalls you are left at the mercy of the owner of the source code.

Reply #3
I know that most of you use EAC, but I fancy the on-the-fly encoding using dll codecs, and it works well on unscatched CDs (which all my CDs are, naturally wink.gif ).

I have CDex on my machine. The on-fly encoding is a plus especially when I am ripping seeing that I rarely due and I am not concerned with accurate rip, etc.  It's good to see your doing a little bit of work on it here and there.
budding I.T professional

Reply #4
The source diffs from the cvs is included the package. Am I allowed to distribute this? I will provide a link if it's OK.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305198"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's perfectly fine, and actually quite awesome. If you want, I can host it at RareWares.

If it generates enough interest, it might even be worth creating a new project at Sourceforge, so that it would be a semi-official fork.

I wholeheartedly believe it's a very welcome initiative, to try to revive CDex development.

And, if you are willing to accept feature requests: APE tagging

Reply #5
Got tired of waiting for a new version of CDex. It doesn't seem like CDex is in active development anymore, so I added a few features on the latest source and compiled up a package.
Great!
I will provide a link if it's OK.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305198"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, please.

Reply #7
This version creates cue sheets when saving as one image (even only some songs).

Sounds good to me. This feature should be particularly useful for partial backups of CDs containing classical music.
Friends don't let friends use lossy codecs.  (char0n)

Reply #8
The latest beta is from April 25, 2005

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/CDex/930285642/1
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305255"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The guys at Betanews have no clue. The last CVS commit happened more than an year ago.

Reply #9
I've given Roberto a temporary link to the package, so let's see if he'll host it.

A few words on the Cue sheet feature. When choosing partital rips, the cuesheet will output the selected tracks. The first track therefore always starts at 00:00:00. In contrast, EAC may produce cuesheets that start its first track at e.g. 00:00:37, but I guess that CDex actually starts ripping at the first frame of the track, and not the first frame on the CD.

The cuesheet will also split Artist/Tracknames correctly on compilation discs, but you need to check the "Split trackname..." option.

Don't know how much time I'll get to work on this further, but I guess it should be possible to add a few more features. (APE tagging - not sure...)

Reply #10
Get it here:

cdex_160b1_cs1.exe

Link will be up a few days.

Reply #11
I've given Roberto a temporary link to the package, so let's see if he'll host it.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305333"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll host it as soon as you give me the sources. Otherwise I'll be flamed to death by the usual Stallman lovers.

Reply #12
Hello.

I just added tycho's mod to CDex to the Others section at RareWares, and announced it at the index page.

Again, thanks to tycho for his work.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #13
hey tycho, it's nice to see someone working on cdex...thank you very much.  i'm about to start a massive rip project using cdex and i'm going to be ripping to flac.  your readme says that flac support is experimental.  how experimental is it?  is the built in flac encoder stable enough to use on a large scale, or would you recommend to still use the external encoder option (flac.exe)?  thanks again for the new cdex version...bob.

Reply #14
My feature fequest would be a new GUI, ( Easy CD-DA extractor has the best design by far. You may want to take a look)

Reply #15
I enabled the already build libFLAC.dll support, and it seems to work. However, I am believe I see some problems when playing them with the winamp plugin.

Anyway, for mass CD backup, I would still recoment EAC, although it has an awkward user interface. Look out for an upcomming tool that I'm just about to finish, which will actually make some interaction with EAC simpler, and at the same time replace MAREO, Flackattack, Wack and Aftermath! (mostly, at least  ).

Reply #16
Can someone fix a source that link aint workin' anymore, it said 404 error file missing. I'd really like to try to version.
Thanks in advance.

Reply #18
The Unicode bit of 1.60 is a welcome feature and now I can enter in unicode artist and track names that don't get converted to ???'s.  They work when tagging ogg files, and the mp3 file names have unicode in them.  But I get ???'s in the id3v2 tag of mp3s created in 1.60 (when viewing them in fb2k).  So maybe the id3v2 tagging is not using unicode?

Reply #19
Got tired of waiting for a new version of CDex. It doesn't seem like CDex is in active development anymore, so I added a few features on the latest source and compiled up a package.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good, have you checked the [a href="http://musicbrainz.org/~pouwelse/]Musicbrainz-enabled[/url] mod ???

And, well... accuraterip ability would be great (at least to me).

HaPpY CoDiNg !!!

Reply #20
Good, have you checked the Musicbrainz-enabled mod ???
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351621"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh God... I've been looking for some MB-enabled ripper ripper for sooooo long ! I'll test this gem at once.

Reply #21
Great news for me 
I love cdex ! it was one of the first audio ripper , maybe it was the first
Thanks 

I would love to see cdex with  features like rips all tracks before encoding & a better normalize feature (maybe , my dream , with a WaveGain engine

Reply #22
Oh God... I've been looking for some MB-enabled ripper ripper for sooooo long ! I'll test this gem at once.

Reply #23
The UNICODE support in your version of CDex is what made me chose CDex over EAC.  It would make this version better if UNICODE is supported in ID3V2 tags in mp3 files.  There is a patch for this at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?f...567&atid=300567

I wanted to combine this patch with your modified code, but had problem getting the full source.  Would it be possible for you to apply the patch to your version?  Or perhaps email me your full source code?

Code: [Select]
// Version 1.60 beta 1 cs1 (by tycho)
Added cue-sheet saving when saving partial tracks.
Enabled experimental libFlac.dll support.
Changed to better default name for partial tracks filename.
Changed defaults: MP3 mode j-stereo, Jitter correction disabled, CDDB auto connection.
Added average speed display (removed estimated total time).
Included latest dlls (libFLAC.dll, MACDll.dll 3.99, lame_enc.dll 3.97a10, vorbis 1.1.0)
Compiled UNICODE version.

Reply #24
Well, it appears that CDex is now moving again:

Posted By: ngaur70
Date: 2006-02-06 08:43
Summary: CDex recruits new Project Manager

A new project manager has recently joined the CDex team.

This addition will allow us to commence development on the outstanding items.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: ngaur70
Date: 2006-03-13 09:00
Summary: CDex moving to Subversion

In an effort to keep CDex upto date with the most supportable application and to give it a forward looking image, CDex code is being migrated from CVS to Subversion. When the migration is complete, I will have the appropriate links changed

By: Narendra Gaur - ngaur70Project Admin
RE: Is this officially dead? 
2006-02-06 08:50
No, I am the new Project Manager on this tool, and I will make sure some nice and exciting things happen to it in the upcoming future. Please keep monitoring

By: Georgy Berdyshev - codingmaster
RE: Is this officially dead? 
2006-04-10 02:42
Hello!

I'm also a new developer!

CDex is not dead!!!

The next steps for the future are:
1) Moving cvs to svn
2) Changing the compiler to gcc
3) Fixing all bugs
4) Releasing newer version with updates for the codecs