Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Distortions / crackling noises while navigating (Read 2621 times) previous topic - next topic

Distortions / crackling noises while navigating

Hello!

When I'm on the internet and listen to music with foobar at the same time, the sound is getting distorted and "crackling". This happens when a page is loading or while I'm downloading something. I use Mozilla Firefox and a USB Adsl modem. I tried all outputs such as DirectSound, DirectSound v2.0 and Waveout and different buffer lenghts. I listen mainly to Mp3s but this happens with other formats such as SPC aswell.

Please, can someone help me? 
Thanks!

Reply #1
Have you tried to increase the process priority class (in Preferences/Core)?

Reply #2
Now I did but this didn't solve the problem.

Reply #3
Also make sure your modem is on a usb 2.0 (and not 1.0) port; you might consider switching to Ethernet.
Can you indicate your cpu type, soundcard and dsp effects?

Reply #4
I own a PIII @ 450Mhz under Win98, and a Turtle Beach Montego 2 soundcard. I turned all DSPs off, even volume control.
My modem is on a USB 1.0 port indeed, and I don't remember having this problem when it was plugged to my ethernet port. Unfortunately my ethernet port is now plugged to another computer.
Thanks for your replies. So it seems to be USB's fault here. Unfortunately this problem will stay unsolved until my other computer breaks down again.