Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Re-using replaygain tags when converting? (Read 2482 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-using replaygain tags when converting?

I have a bunch of ape files, all tagged with replaygain information.
Is there a way to copy those tags to their corresponing mp3/mpc files when using foobar's converting function? Just to be clear, I don't want to apply the ape's replaygains to the mp3s but just add the tags (this way I could save the extra replaygain scan on the mp3/mpc files produced).

..:: sundance ::..

Reply #1
No it's not possible to do so.

The simple reason for that is that files of a different format will require slightly different replaygain values.

Reply #2
Thanks a lot for the instant reply!

Reply #3
Only if it is lossy format. But even if it is not, I wonder how much that difference is?

The reason I wonder because I am going to convert my FLAC replaygained archive into Lame APS and I will set --scale option according to replaygain value. I expect that the MP3 files will not have noticeable volume change.

Anybody has some info on this. Some hard facts either way. I guess I have to try, but I still have to sort out some PC issues before and maybe somebody already have some idea. Thanks

Triza

Reply #4
I suspect that the ReplayGain difference between different codecs is required by the different behaviour of each codec, more specifically clipping behaviour. Although the ReplayGain values for different codecs are only slightly different, that slight difference does matter, as it allows to accurately eliminate clipping caused by the specific codec.