Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME settings (Read 655601 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME settings

Reply #275
Uhm, is "--alt-preset medium" better than "--alt-preset 160" ?
Shouldn't someone add it to the "List of recommended LAME settings" ?

Reply #276
Uhm, is "--alt-preset medium" better than "--alt-preset 160" ?
Shouldn't someone add it to the "List of recommended LAME settings" ?

There are no tests that I know of.

I would also think that ABX'ing between those two is really hard.

But I think that -medium is a little better (on my tests at least)
It should be, as it is not limited by bitrate, as -160 is.

But, yeah, -160 is a good recomendation.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #277
i'm having a problem with EAC and lame. I had it working before reinstalling XP awhile ago.

anyhow i'm using the latest beta of EAC and lame 3.90.3

EAC is set on user defined encoder. THe path to lame.exe is correct. and in the command settings is --alt-preset extreme.

However it rips fine but lame won't compress? the dos screen comes up but disappears faster than i can read it.

thanks!

Reply #278
jin, if you use user defined encoder, you need to add %s %d to the commandline, like in this picture.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #279
much thanks!!

Reply #280
what is a good, safe lowpass filter setting for most music?  If they can cut down on the filesize by only removing inaudible data, I'd really like to use them.

Also, I listen to and rip a lot of techno, and I'm trying to decide the best possible balance of audible quality and filesize.  Until now, I've done CBR 192, but recently I switched to --alt preset extreme  with a max-bitrate of 256 and a min-bitrate of 128.  This has worked nicely, and given me files roughly 192 kbps (not really a goal, but nice).  I was told that I should just use the lame.exe (I've been using the lame_enc.dll), but I don't know the right parameters to fit my needs.

if anyone's got a simple answer ^_^ please tell me.

Reply #281
Until now, I've done CBR 192, but recently I switched to --alt preset extreme   with a max-bitrate of 256 and a min-bitrate of 128.  This has worked nicely, and given me files roughly 192 kbps (not really a goal, but nice).

You should never set an upper bitrate limit. Use --alt-preset standard.

Reply #282
Or try "--alt-preset standard -Y"

(Huh, do I hear an echo in here? Or is this just an endless loop?!?)

--EDIT--
Standing corrected...

Reply #283
sorry i know its probably been asked and answered a milliopn times, but whats the difference between the adding the --y or whatever onto the end of alt preset standard? 

also, is there some guide on eac that goes through all of the advanced options with recommended things to have checked and unchecked, because a lot of them confuse the hell out of me as to which i should have set, not set etc.

one more question.. what is the reccomended preset for mp3s averaging out to around 128 kbps to achieve the highest quality for that size? i know a lot of people think that bitrate is crap, so i must be deaf, but i still cant really hear much difference between it and 192 kbps, and surely not enough difference for me to justify making a file almost twice as big on my cramped up 40 gig hard drive :/ lol.. 

also, i have so many damn cds, that i need to fit as many mp3 albums on a single disc as i can because i have to ride the bus around etc, less cds less confusion, less cost, you know the story.  anyways thanks in advance, i've been reading these forums for quite a while and seem to get myself more and more confused every time i do lol.

Reply #284
sorry i know its probably been asked and answered a milliopn times, but whats the difference between the adding the --y or whatever onto the end of alt preset standard?

First off, it's -Y, not -y and not --y. LAME switches are case sensitive, and "--" is only used for longer switches. What -Y does is disable noise shaping for scalefactor band 21, the neglected frequency range from 16 to 22.05 KHz. For music with much high frequency content which is probably masked anyway (heavy metal..), this will reduce bitrate bloating that can otherwise happen, because it will only encode the most noticeable signals above 16 KHz. It can also be useful to keep the bitrate down for portable players. But --alt-preset standard without -Y is the better setting if these issues don't apply to you.

Reply #285
also, is there some guide on eac that goes through all of the advanced options with recommended things to have checked and unchecked, because a lot of them confuse the hell out of me as to which i should have set, not set etc.

EAC guide by C. Myden

one more question.. what is the reccomended preset for mp3s averaging out to around 128 kbps to achieve the highest quality for that size?

--alt-preset 128 or
--abr 128 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93

Reply #286
haha alright thanks man.  you guys are some serious audiophiles, i like that.  maybe one day ill have enough money for high end equipment so i too can tell tell these difference in quality .  give me some credit though i may be using a 19 dollar cd burner and 2.00 per 50 cd media but at least i dont encode with xing (very old)

Reply #287
Until now, I've done CBR 192, but recently I switched to --alt preset extreme  with a max-bitrate of 256 and a min-bitrate of 128.  This has worked nicely, and given me files roughly 192 kbps (not really a goal, but nice).

You should never set an upper bitrate limit. Use --alt-preset standard.

unless of course you have a player that doesn't like 320Kbps frames, which may be the reason for limiting it to 256.

Reply #288
If you have an mp3 player that does not support 320 kbps, you should return the player. 

Reply #289
I don't, but people do. I believe some of the early Sony players were like this.

Reply #290
Sorry if this is allready asked here.

What is the best quality of MP3 to rip in if you don't really care about the size of files. I have lots of gigs and I don't have the need to put al my music on an iPod. I just can change the music on my ipod from time to time.

Reply #291
Sorry if this is allready asked here.

What is the best quality of MP3 to rip in if you don't really care about the size of files. I have lots of gigs and I don't have the need to put al my music on an iPod. I just can change the music on my ipod from time to time.

From the first post in this thread

--alt-preset insane (320 kbit/s CBR, highest possible quality)
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #292
Thanks

[/QUOTE]alt-preset insane (320 kbit/s CBR, highest possible quality)

With wich program can you rip in that quality?

Reply #293
Sir Fresh,

what about simply reading, understanding and using the first post of this long "recommended settings & programs & guides list" thread ?

Reply #294
My english isn't so good so it's a real task to read the whole first post.

Reply #295
Reading it will improve your English.

Reply #296
My english isn't so good so it's a real task to read the whole first post.

With all due respect, you should really try to read an understand it.

Not having a good english proficiency will indeed make it very difficult from having a pleasant Hydrogenaudio experience 

Read the FAQ, it has all the answers to your questions and more.

But you have to make an effort...
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #297

EAC guide by C. Myden

This guide just sets every setting without explanation. If you search explanations, go to http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm , but keep in mind that this guide is old, and that some EAC features have changed since it was written. For example, the "internal wav routines" have been removed, and "compressed/uncompressed" options have been created instead.

Reply #298
Hi!
Please, tell me how I can set stereo for Lame 3.93 MMx in foobar2000's conversion options.
I have default joint stereo.

Thank You.
Geo.

Reply #299
what about simply copying a commandline given in the first posts of this way too long thread ?